PDA

View Full Version : To all the Ubuntu Family

KiwiNZ
December 23rd, 2008, 10:05 PM
Its that time of year again, gee its come around fast. Many of us will be joining in the festive season , mine starts tonight , its Christmas eve down under.

Time to reflect

This year has been hard , with many a curve ball sent my way , as some may know.
It's easy to become self centered in adversity but its important to try to see others as well as your self when times are hard, Because for others it may well be harder. I can attest to that ,as sometimes I have become self centered and angry and forgot about those less fortunate than I .

So as you set about your holidays and have the fun you richly deserve , stop and pause a little and give some one else a little something. A “hello” , a smile is all that is needed in some cases.

I wish each and everyone of you a safe and wonderful festive season. And may your god be with you .

Best wishes

Mike

chucky chuckaluck
December 23rd, 2008, 10:07 PM
happy holidays, mike. ...ok, the rest of you, too.

OutOfReach
December 23rd, 2008, 10:10 PM
Merry Christmas :)

Virtual group hug? :o

dannytatom
December 23rd, 2008, 10:15 PM
:grouphugs

Happy Holidays to all. :)

SuperSonic4
December 23rd, 2008, 10:17 PM
Happy celebrations of an arbitraily chosen day :D

forrestcupp
December 23rd, 2008, 10:22 PM
Merry Christmas. I hope you can knock your curve ball out of the park.

Icehuck
December 23rd, 2008, 10:25 PM

Wasn't it chosen to coincide with the celebration of Yule?

Anyway,

Happy Holidays :)

Kernel Sanders
December 23rd, 2008, 10:36 PM
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i38/BrumSumarin/HappyChristmas.jpg

*Joins the group hug* :KS

myusername
December 23rd, 2008, 11:10 PM
merry christmas/happy other holidays guys

Chame_Wizard
December 23rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
Merry Christmas :P

Tigershell
December 23rd, 2008, 11:20 PM
Have a good one guys

some_random_noob
December 23rd, 2008, 11:33 PM
In my opinion, every day is "giving stuff day". There are lots of people in need, so try to drop the materialistic garbage this year and help out (volunteer to cook for charity, donate a can of food, etc).

I want YOU, for the community! (holy crap, I should be an MP! :D )

IsraeliHawk
December 24th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Happy Holidays everyone!

i may be a Jew, but I'm celebrating Hannukah too..

in anyhow, Merry Christmas!! :) :KS

Joeb454
December 24th, 2008, 12:02 AM
As I said the other year to my entire family:

Seasons Greetings!!!

(Yes I do know I sounded like the front of a card)

FuturePilot
December 24th, 2008, 12:08 AM
(Yes I do know I sounded like the front of a card)

Can you multiply yourself so I can hand you out to people?

More seriously, I wish everyone a Merry Christmas. :)

Lostincyberspace
December 24th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Merry Christmas!

Hey maybe next year we could do a fundraiser for something, at this festive time.

Maybe start it around Thanksgiving(the third thursday in november for all the non americans) and end on christmas.

Eisenwinter
December 24th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Alright people, lets get drunk :D

Joeb454
December 24th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Can you multiply yourself so I can hand you out to people?

Funny you should mention that... ;)

Frak
December 24th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Merry Christmas

-grubby
December 24th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I love all of you in your own special way.

inxygnuu
December 24th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Happy holidays! ˇFeliz Navidad! 2009 is coming! and so is jaunty!:)

kevin11951
December 24th, 2008, 01:06 AM
funny you should mention that... ;)

this is a family forum!

*screams* *continues to scream* *continues to scream* *continues to scream* *continues to scream* *continues to scream* *continues to scream* *continues to scream* *continues to scream* *continues to scream* *stops*

Grant A.
December 24th, 2008, 01:09 AM
http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/1712/merrychristmasde1.png

Mazza558
December 24th, 2008, 01:11 AM
...and it's the UK's turn to get to Christmas Eve.

24 hours!

Joeb454
December 24th, 2008, 01:14 AM
...and it's the UK's turn to get to Christmas Eve.

24 hours!

23 hours and 46 minutes actually (at the time of writing) ;)

Grant A.
December 24th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Ah, I almost forgot to say this:

Les deseo un Feliz Navidad a ustedes! :)

beercz
December 24th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Merry Christmas everyone!

kostkon
December 24th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Happy holidays!

OutOfReach
December 24th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Ah, I almost forgot to say this:

Les deseo un Feliz Navidad a ustedes! :)

Que tengan un feliz ano nuevo tambien!

cybergal
December 24th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Happy Holidays, Everyone!

WaeV
December 24th, 2008, 04:06 AM

Actually, it was chosen to be around winter solstice so the pagan convertees would be more comfortable with it. :)

Grant A.
December 24th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Apparently Santa can be tracked on Google Earth. (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10128642-2.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5)

MikeTheC
December 24th, 2008, 06:51 AM
KiwiNZ:

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, all the best, and may you steer your way to a complete recovery from whatever troubles have beset you in 2008.

Speaking of group hugs and talk about the "Ubuntu Family", I can think of no greater excuse er, occasion than this to quote the poet Tennyson: :p

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Apparently Santa can be tracked on Google Earth. (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10128642-2.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5)

+1 (And to think people still believe he doesn't exist... Geez...) ;)

abhilashm86
December 24th, 2008, 07:21 AM
merry christmas to all people,enjoy!!!!!!!

i joined linux family(ubuntu) just 3 months back,it treated(forums) as its child and now i am independent flying bird(not a child)..........

thanks to all friends outta there who helped me.

group hug with ubuntu family!!!!!!!!!!

-grubby
December 24th, 2008, 07:27 AM
merry christmas to all people,enjoy!!!!!!!

I joined linux family(ubuntu) just 3 months back,it treated(forums) as its child and now i am independent flying bird(not a child)..........

Thanks to all friends outta there who helped me.

Group hug with ubuntu family!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!11111one!!!1!!!111111!11eleventy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!11

Cope57
December 24th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Politically correct Holiday Greetings (http://cope57.wordpress.com/2008/12/13/politically-correct-holiday-greetings/)

To all the Politically Correct out there:

“Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, our best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

We also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2009, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere. And without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

By accepting these greetings you are accepting these terms. This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for herself or himself or others, and is void where prohibited by law and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.”

To Everybody Else:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

magmon
December 24th, 2008, 07:45 AM

Merry christmas, but uhh...

Santa statistics
No known species of reindeer can fly. But there are roughly 300,000 species of living organisms yet to be classified. While most of these are insects and germs, this does not rule out flying reindeer - though Santa and my uncle Ralph, in his drinking days, are the only people who've ever seen one.
There are two billion children (small people under the age of 18 ) in the world. But since Santa doesn't (appear to) handle most non-Christian children, that reduces the workload to about 15 per cent of the total (roughly 378 million according to the Population Reference Bureau). At a rate of say, 3.5 children per household, that's 91.8 million homes. One presumes there's at least one good kid in each.
Santa has 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming he travels east to west. That's 822.6 visits per second. For each eligible household, Santa has 1/1000th of a second to park the sleigh, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, put presents under the tree, eat any snacks, kiss mommy when available, get back up the chimney, hop in the sleigh and move on.
Assuming each of these 91.8 million stops are evenly distributed around the earth, we're now talking about 0.78 miles per household - a total trip of 75.5 million miles, not counting stops to let Santa and the reindeer do what most of us must do at least once every 31 hours.
This means Santa's sleigh moves at 650 miles per second, or 3,000 times the speed of sound. The fastest man-made vehicle, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a poky 27.4 miles a second (a conventional reindeer, by the way, can run 15 miles per hour, tops).
Assuming each child gets nothing more that a medium-sized Lego set (two pounds), the sleigh is carrying 321,300 tons, not counting overweight Santa. Conventional reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds. Even granting flying reindeer could pull 10 times the normal amount, Santa would need 214,200 reindeer. This increases the payload (not counting the sleigh) to
353,430 tons, or four times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth II.
353,000 tons travelling at 650 miles a second creates enormous air resistance, which would heat the reindeer to incandescence in the same fashion as spacecraft or meteors entering the earth's atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer will absorb 14.3 quintillion joules of energy. Per second. Each. In short, they will burst into flame almost instantaneously, exposing
the reindeer behind them and creating deafening sonic booms. The entire team will be vaporized within 4.26 thousandths of a second.
Santa, meanwhile, will be subjected to centrifugal forces of 17,500.06 gravities. A 250-pound Santa (a wee bit of an underestimate) would be pinned to the back of his sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force.
The Internet originator's conclusion to the above: "If Santa ever did deliver presents on Christmas Eve, he's dead now."

The above is from my website, www.nickspics.9f.com

scragar
December 24th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone(and if you don't celebrate christmas(I kinda don't, I mean I swap presents, but other than that I keep out of it, only reason I trade presents is because no matter how much I tell people not to buy me anything they still do, I can't take it off them and give nothing back can I) I want to wish you a happy holiday period anyway).

zmjjmz
December 24th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Happy ChrismaHanuKwanza.

MikeTheC
December 24th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Politically correct Holiday Greetings (http://cope57.wordpress.com/2008/12/13/politically-correct-holiday-greetings/)

To all the Politically Correct out there:

“Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, our best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

We also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2009, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere. And without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

By accepting these greetings you are accepting these terms. This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for herself or himself or others, and is void where prohibited by law and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.”

And here I thought Philadelphia lawyers were bad... :p

abhilashm86
December 24th, 2008, 01:07 PM
!!!!11111one!!!1!!!111111!11eleventy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!11

whatz this?????is it a binary representation of group hug!!!!!!:lolflag:

Rocket2DMn
December 24th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Merry Christmas everybody! If you're working on Xmas Eve, come let us know what you're up to - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1020460

Cheers, and stay safe!

xpod
December 24th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Lang may yer lumbs reek.

alienexplorers
December 24th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Happy Holidays to all and thanks for all the help over the past year.

roelpeeters
December 24th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Happy Holidays to everybody and as said before: thanks for all the help this year! May the next year even be better than this!!

Ho ho ho!

Dragonbite
December 24th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Happy Holidays.

Don't forget to stop and count your blessings.

If each of my blessing was a coin then scrooge would be satisfied!

~Drew

notwen
December 24th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Happy & safe holidays to everyone. =]

*cheers*

Mazza558
December 24th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Lucky NZ and Australia get Christmas day early...

Well, the tradeoff is that they don't really get a christmassy feel, given that it's the height of summer over there.

chucky chuckaluck
December 25th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Lucky NZ and Australia get Christmas day early...

Well, the tradeoff is that they don't really get a christmassy feel, given that it's the height of summer over there.

how do you know the warmer weather doesn't put santa in a better mood?

darrenn
December 25th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Merry Christmas Everyone!

smartboyathome
December 25th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Its still not christmas here! 4 hours remaining. And the Ausies have probably already finished their up. :p

OutOfReach
December 25th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Yep, 4 more hours here (California) too. :/

TBomBM3879
December 25th, 2008, 05:46 AM
14 minutes here (New Hampshire)

Frak
December 25th, 2008, 05:50 AM
1 hour left here (Oklahoma).

Dragonbite
December 25th, 2008, 06:11 AM
11 Minutes ago! Merry Christmas everybody (now it's time to go to bed)

OutOfReach
December 25th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Well, it's officially Christmas here on the Western side of the U.S. of A.

Merry Christmas everyone. :)

Giant Speck
December 25th, 2008, 09:18 AM
It won't be Christmas here in Alaska for another 42 minutes.

But I want to say that I wish everyone on UbuntuForums a Merry Christmas, regardless of their religious or non-religious persuasion. May today be a day of family togetherness, and for those who don't celebrate, may it be just a really good day. :)

Frak
December 25th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Was Christmas 2 hours ago. Only 22 more to go 'till it's over...

My Christmas is the same as any other day, so I've nothing to look forward to until New Years.

pp.
December 25th, 2008, 10:14 AM
how do you know the warmer weather doesn't put santa in a better mood?

It is a well documented (http://www.toonhound.com/briggsfcgoh.htm) fact that Father Christmas doesn't like warmer climates. I would think it somewhat likely that this applied to santa as well.

Ah, and merry Christmas and a happy new year to all.

Swagman
December 25th, 2008, 01:51 PM
http://www.upload3r.com/serve/251208/1230209373.jpeg <--- Merry Christmas from Peterborough, Uk.

The dinner is cooking and making me VERY hungry !!

We don't like Turkey so its a large leg o Lamb