PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Case Badges

th89
December 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
Hey all, I know this has been a highly discussed topic, and I am considering making up a bunch of aluminum case badges. I just need to know what kind of demand there is for these things. It looks like it would cost roughly $3.00 a sticker, and then $1.00 shipping to US. Free shipping on extra items, and volume discounts of some sort. First batch would take about 3 weeks to have printed. Post your comments below!

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN SOME, PLEASE VOTE!

Edit:
These sizes are just rough atm. It may change slightly. International shipping would be available, and not that much as it would only be a letter. I am looking for ~100 badge requests before I can have these printed up. Also, if you have any suggestions and/or remarks, post 'em!

Primary Design:
http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/1654/poweredbyubuntukc8.jpg
Example Aluminum Case Badge:

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/9121/badgewz9.jpg

Specs:
0.75" x 1.65" x .012 thick
3M adhesive backing
Radius corners
Clear protective overlam on top surface
Cut to size

kevin11951
December 23rd, 2008, 09:20 PM
Hey all, I know this has been a highly discussed topic, and I am considering making up a bunch of aluminum case badges. I just need to know what kind of demand there is for these things. It looks like it would cost roughly $3.00 a sticker, and then $1.00 shipping to US. Free shipping on extra items, and volume discounts of some sort. First batch would take about 3 weeks to have printed. Post your comments below!

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/9121/badgewz9.jpg

Specs:
0.75" x 1.65" x .012 thick
3M adhesive backing
Radius corners
Clear protective overlam on top surface
Cut to size

may i ask that the sticker be less oblong?

MarblePanther
December 23rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
I really like that

Perhaps you could talk to dell about them featuring yours on their ubuntu preloaded computers?

Or talk to other companies that preload ubuntu

SuperSonic4
None, international shipping = expensive but tis a good idea :]

th89
may i ask that the sticker be less oblong?
Sure, I am totally open to ideas. That picture is at a little of an angle too, so don't go entirely by that.

Capt. Mac
December 23rd, 2008, 09:35 PM
I would buy one for my laptop.

th89
December 24th, 2008, 01:08 AM
After checking with the printer, it looks like I will need at least between 75 and 100 badge requests before I can print. If your interested, please "vote" in the poll so I can get somewhat of an idea.

Joeb454
December 24th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I'd probably be interested in a few :)

grazed
December 24th, 2008, 01:13 AM
just a heads up.. the logo, and "designed for" are way off center.

th89
December 24th, 2008, 01:15 AM
just a heads up.. the logo, and "designed for" are way off center.

Dually noted. I will be sure to fix that. Its just a mockup now, but thanks for the input!

grazed
December 24th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Dually noted. I will be sure to fix that. Its just a mockup now, but thanks for the input!

sorry, didn't mean for that to sound cocky. ;)

if you stretch "ubuntu" the length of the sticker, having the "designed for" where it is now would look cool too.

th89
December 24th, 2008, 03:27 AM
sorry, didn't mean for that to sound cocky. ;)

if you stretch "ubuntu" the length of the sticker, having the "designed for" where it is now would look cool too.

Naa, your good. I would like to do several designs in the future, but they are currently cost prohibitive. If this goes well, I will seriously consider launching a couple different designs, maybe even a different size as well.

fedex1993
December 24th, 2008, 03:30 AM
I would love to buy maybe 5-20 depends on the pricing :)

diablo75
December 24th, 2008, 05:24 AM
These have been selling on ebay for at least a couple years. I have some nice silver onces on my laptop.

Tip: Never stick anything to the label (like a piece of tape). The laminated coating that goes over the silver backing will peal off and you'll never get it to stick back on. You'll end up left with a blank piece of silver label with no text on it.

MikeTheC
December 24th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Looks interesting. I wouldn't mind getting one. But you know what would really be cool is if you took this basic design and put it up through CafePress and sold it on a t-shirt. Then, the message would be more in line with the "Ubuntu is for Humans" notion.

I would definitely buy one then.

wolfen69
December 24th, 2008, 06:46 AM
i hate to be a party pooper, but i believe it is not legal to sell items with the ubuntu logo without canonicals blessing.

magmon
December 24th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I would love to have one of those... Then maybe my friends will stop asking about my "Mac"

@ Wolfen: Perhaps he could sell the design to them and they can sell em?

MikeTheC
December 24th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I would love to have one of those... Then maybe my friends will stop asking about my "Mac"

@ Wolfen: Perhaps he could sell the design to them and they can sell em?

I still think a "case badge shirt" would be a great idea. So, like, while you're at it, Wolfen, sell that idea to 'em, too. :)

magmon
December 24th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I still think a "case badge shirt" would be a great idea. So, like, while you're at it, Wolfen, sell that idea to 'em, too. :)

BRILLIANT, I would personally love to have "powered by ubuntu linux" across my chest xD.

speedwell68
December 24th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I would definitely have at least 3 of them. My powered by Ubuntu sticker is beginning to peel of my laptop. Just a small point, would it not be better if it said powered by Ubuntu instead of designed for, PC's should be designed to run on any OS.

th89
December 24th, 2008, 12:31 PM
To answer the question about them being on eBay...
Yes, there is 1 ubuntu sticker available on Ebay... you can see it in the first post. It leaves little to be desired as the logo is quite small, it is elongated, and everything is off-center. Also, it is $6 shipped from Hong Kong and takes up to 30 days to get. And general preference seems that people want a "powered by" instead of a "designed for" sticker.

Joeb454
December 24th, 2008, 01:29 PM
"Powered By" would be the better of the 2 :)