PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] The live CD of Xubuntu 8.10 does not start ... and no version can be installed!

alepila
December 23rd, 2008, 07:39 PM
I have a Pentium III 600MHz with 384MB of RAM, when I try to boot from a CD of Xubuntu 8.10 Desktop, the startup screen and the bar continues to rebound until it appears black screen with a blinking text pointer at the top left. I then tried to install the alternate version of Xubuntu but when they start to install the files I leave the message that the file ... is corrupt, click continue and tells me that another file and corrupt and so on until it tells me that the installation can be completed. I check the CD and I do not find errors ... I then tried to install Ubuntu alternate but again errors so corrupted files. until, in this case I leave the message that the installation can be completed. I tried to burn the CD at low speed by another PC and download another ISO image but nothing to make the installation is never finished, I tried to start the recorder as the master instead of the DVD player but nothing to do ... still the same story, you can not complete the installation. Then I try to download alternate Xubuntu 8.10, verify the integrity of the ISO, burn, check the integrity of the CD ... all OK. I try to install and yet the same mistakes in reading. Why is this happening?

Pumalite
December 23rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Did you do md5sum on the iso? Do not use CD-RW
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto?highlight=%28burn%29%7C%28

alepila
December 23rd, 2008, 09:10 PM
Yes i do md5sum and i didn't use CD-RW

Pumalite
December 23rd, 2008, 09:19 PM
Have you tried the Xubuntu Alternate CD?:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/8.10/release/

Kevbert
December 23rd, 2008, 09:37 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu.
Have you tried a memory check ? (memtest in the menu, as it's possible to run Windows with faulty memory - random crashes occur).

alepila
December 24th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Kubuntu doesn't run with 384Mb RAM

alepila
December 24th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Thank's i try to run memtest

Pumalite
December 24th, 2008, 03:38 PM
If you have found nothing; including memtest: try cleaning up your hard drive. Get Gparted Live CD, reformat and reinstall everything.

alepila
December 24th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I have done memtest, the result was "no errors", i have cleaned my hard disk and i tryed to reinstall Xubuntu but nothing...

CRIMPS
December 25th, 2008, 08:25 PM
You are not the only one having this problem. I was using a cd-RW, so I burned to a different disk format. I was using the Ubuntu 8.04 Alternate cd. I also used GPartEd to format the entire disk.

The computer is a:
P4 1.6Ghz
256MB RAM

Anyone have any other ideas for solving these installation issues?

Thanks
Z

Pumalite
December 25th, 2008, 08:40 PM
With your RAM; use the Alternate CD Xubuntu

paddy1
December 25th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I had the same problem, and ran Gparted, and no longer have a problem

alepila
December 28th, 2008, 05:17 PM
nyone have any other ideas?

CRIMPS
December 28th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I was able to succcessfully install Ubuntu 8.04 via the Alternate CD. I really think the problem was the way in which the .iso was being burned. I originally used a cd-rw. The next time I burned the image to another cd, that cd was also suspect. I burned the image to a fresh cd-r and was then able to finish the install.

Try burning the image to a new cd-r.

Good luck.

alepila
December 29th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I burned the image to another cd but i can't finish the install

Sour Mash
December 29th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I installed 8.04.1 and that got round the issue, of course I then upgraded to 8.10 and messed it up, I am back tothe blinking screen of bemusement!