PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to upgrade to ubuntu8.10

arunkumar413
December 23rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
I am using Ubuntu 8.04 on system.Today i received Ubuntu 8.10 CD.I want to upgrade to 8.10.Help me how to upgrade

neu2buntu
December 23rd, 2008, 01:16 PM
think this may work....firstly make sure your system is up to date

sudo apt-get updatethen place your cd in tray

goto >system>administration>software sources....hopefully the cd shows up here and tick it

then run the sudo apt-get update again , if my memory serves me right you should be able to upgrade from here,while keeping all your settings intact

you can also update from >system>administration>updatemanager

namdung
December 23rd, 2008, 01:20 PM
I am using Ubuntu 8.04 on system.Today i received Ubuntu 8.10 CD.I want to upgrade to 8.10.Help me how to upgrade

I suggest you to reconsider upgrading to Intrepid. Hardy is a LTS which is a much stable version. The other versions may have more features but is most likely to have more bugs. 8.04.2 is coming out in Jan.

You might wanna try out Intrepid first in virtualization using virtualbox etc before the final upgrade.

Good luck!!!

arunkumar413
December 23rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
think this may work....firstly make sure your system is up to date

sudo apt-get update

then place your cd in tray

goto >system>administration>software sources....hopefully the cd shows up here and tick it

then run the sudo apt-get update again , if my memory serves me right you should be able to upgrade from here,while keeping all your settings intact

There are some softwares installed on my system which i downloaded from internet.Now if i upgrade,will i have to install them again.

neu2buntu
December 23rd, 2008, 01:32 PM
no they will still be there..... and heres a good link for you,just noticed and also you have to click on >system>administration>softwaresources>updates and make sure you choose normal releases....its in this link

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

arunkumar413
December 23rd, 2008, 01:41 PM
no they will still be there..... and heres a good link for you,just noticed and also you have to click on >system>administration>softwaresources>updates and make sure you choose normal releases....its in this link

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
many thanks for helping me.

neu2buntu
December 23rd, 2008, 01:45 PM
let m,e know how you get on (i see it mentioning an ALTERNATE cd hope the normal 8.10 cd works this way)...... and anytime you thank someone on a post click the yellow/red icon beside quote hint hint

surj08
December 23rd, 2008, 02:49 PM

alt+f2 put in "update-manager -d" without the quotes

arunkumar413
December 23rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
alt+f2 put in "update-manager -d" without the quotes
does the 8.10 CD contain softwares or else i have to download from internet?