PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help with keyboard problem

gparkins
December 23rd, 2008, 08:37 AM
I am using Ubuntu Hardy Heron, I think it's 8.04, and my keyboard has lost the use of some keys when I use the Shift key. My @ key now gives me a ", the # symbol has become a /, and the ^ is now a ?. I thought at first that my keyboard was at fault, but I dual boot with Wndows XP and it works just fine in Windows. I suspect that a recent update may have caused this. Has anyone else experienced this? I've tried changing keyboard layouts in system preferences, but nothing helps. As a result I'm going back to Windows when I need to input text. I'm writing this on my laptop running Vista --- brrr! Please help so I can get back to the superior OS. Thanks,
Glenn

namdung
December 23rd, 2008, 09:06 AM
I am using Ubuntu Hardy Heron, I think it's 8.04, and my keyboard has lost the use of some keys when I use the Shift key. My @ key now gives me a ", the # symbol has become a /, and the ^ is now a ?. I thought at first that my keyboard was at fault, but I dual boot with Wndows XP and it works just fine in Windows. I suspect that a recent update may have caused this. Has anyone else experienced this? I've tried changing keyboard layouts in system preferences, but nothing helps. As a result I'm going back to Windows when I need to input text. I'm writing this on my laptop running Vista --- brrr! Please help so I can get back to the superior OS. Thanks,
Glenn

Go to System-->Preferences-->Keyboard
In Layouts tab see if USA is selected as default. If not add the USA layout and make default.