PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a computer.

OutOfReach
December 23rd, 2008, 03:35 AM
OK, ever since I've first started using computers, they've all been pre-built. The only time I've ever had experience with building a computer is helping my father build his, so bear with me.
I've done research and here's my current list:

Processor: Intel Core i7 2.93 GHz
Memory: Corsair 2GB DDR3 TWIN3x2048-1333C9DHX G
Hard Drive: Seagate 500GB ST3500641AS-RK
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
Motherboard: ??
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
CD/DVD Drive: ??
Monitor: Acer 19" X193WBD
Keyboard: Logitech LX310

Would this setup work with Ubuntu? Anything that you see incompatible? Anything I'm missing?
As you can see I need help with choosing a motherboard and a cd/dvd drive, so recommendations are welcome! (Motherboard needs to be of LGA1366 to support the i7 processor).

Thanks. :)

tbroderick
December 23rd, 2008, 03:42 AM
(Motherboard needs to be of LGA775 to support the i7 processor).

i7s are LGA 1366 not LGA 775

Frak
December 23rd, 2008, 03:43 AM
LGA 1366 not 775

Other than that, it'll work.

OutOfReach
December 23rd, 2008, 03:45 AM
Sorry about that, I'm just a little exhausted after researching for hours.

SunnyRabbiera
December 23rd, 2008, 03:54 AM
for your CD/DVD burner I recommend a HP, good track records with them as far as I know.
As far as motherboard I was often recommended gigabyte, avoid foxconn.

Frak
December 23rd, 2008, 03:55 AM
This (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188039) is the best mobo (i.e. the only) I've used for the core i7.

Barriehie
December 23rd, 2008, 03:59 AM
I would find another brand of HD other than seagate.

Barrie

SunnyRabbiera
December 23rd, 2008, 04:02 AM

Barrie

Seagate isnt that bad, its not like WD is any better on the linux support.

OutOfReach
December 23rd, 2008, 04:05 AM
What do you guys think about this (http://shop4.frys.com/product/5541410?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG) CD/DVD Drive (thanks to SunnyRabbiera for the recommendation).

This is the best mobo (i.e. the only) I've used for the core i7.

From your experience, does everything work on this mobo? It looks interesting.

Barrie

Any reason? I've personally have had good experiences with Seagate (with my Laptop that is).

Frak
December 23rd, 2008, 04:06 AM
An HD is an HD. They respond to commands given on the bus. Now, unless your harddrive is running over USB, I see no reason why Seagate or WD would be a bad choice.

EDIT
Yes, everything works.

Achetar
December 23rd, 2008, 04:08 AM
I got a WD 640GB HDD from newegg for ~$100 4 months ago. It is almost completely silent and I like the space. Much better than 500GB.

And get a nicer graphics card. Like a 9800GTX+. The price difference:performance ratio isn't big enouch to make much difference. (I have an 8800GT, just so you know) 9800GTX+ was the best until the 2**s came out

OutOfReach
December 23rd, 2008, 04:40 AM
Well I won't be doing a lot of gaming (that's why I have an Xbox) and I'll only use Compiz on rare occasions, so I think I'll stick with the 8800 GT.

Frak
December 23rd, 2008, 05:02 AM
Well I won't be doing a lot of gaming (that's why I have an Xbox) and I'll only use Compiz on rare occasions, so I think I'll stick with the 8800 GT.
I like driving to the grocery and back in my Porche too. It's pretty nice.

zmjjmz
December 23rd, 2008, 05:15 AM
I'm looking to build a Core i7 system too, and my friend told me it used triple channel RAM so I should get a pair of 3 1GB sticks.
Can anyone confirm this?

jrusso2
December 23rd, 2008, 05:22 AM
OK, ever since I've first started using computers, they've all been pre-built. The only time I've ever had experience with building a computer is helping my father build his, so bear with me.
I've done research and here's my current list:

Processor: Intel Core i7 2.93 GHz
Memory: Corsair 2GB DDR3 TWIN3x2048-1333C9DHX G
Hard Drive: Seagate 500GB ST3500641AS-RK
Motherboard: ??
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
CD/DVD Drive: ??
Monitor: Acer 19" X193WBD
Keyboard: Logitech LX310

Would this setup work with Ubuntu? Anything that you see incompatible? Anything I'm missing?
As you can see I need help with choosing a motherboard and a cd/dvd drive, so recommendations are welcome! (Motherboard needs to be of LGA1366 to support the i7 processor).

Thanks. :)

I don't know how good the support is for the i7 chipset is since it just came out.

Also if I am using DDR 3 I would use three one gig sticks of DDR3 since DDR 3 works best with three slots used.

I know there is one Intel motherboard that supports i7 and one ASUS motherboard.

zmjjmz
December 23rd, 2008, 05:29 AM
I don't know how good the support is for the i7 chipset is since it just came out.

Also if I am using DDR 3 I would use three one gig sticks of DDR3 since DDR 3 works best with three slots used.

I know there is one Intel motherboard that supports i7 and one ASUS motherboard.

There's an MSI motherboard too, and it's only 220$.

OutOfReach
December 23rd, 2008, 05:39 AM

Really? Hmm, well, I guess I'll go for that.

OutOfReach
December 23rd, 2008, 05:46 AM
Well, I've added everything up and it seems that $1,624 is just way out of bounds of my budget.

So I've changed the list to this:

Processor: Intel Core i7 2.66 GHz
Memory: Corsair XMS3 3gb
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST3250410AS 250GB
Case: Rosewill TU-155
Monitor: Acer X193WBD 19"
Keyboard: Logitech UltraX
Motherboard: EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1
CD/DVD: HP DVD1070i

Which totals to an affordable $1,126

Comments?

Frak
December 23rd, 2008, 05:55 AM
I'm looking to build a Core i7 system too, and my friend told me it used triple channel RAM so I should get a pair of 3 1GB sticks.
Can anyone confirm this?
Yes. The integrated IMC (also called the QPI or CSI) has three channels. Each channel can support up to two modules of DDR3.

darrenn
December 23rd, 2008, 05:56 AM
You could go for lga 775 socket and save hundreds of dollars. Since your not going to be gaming you can save a lot of money. 4gb of ddr2 ram for under 60 bucks. Plus it would be a lot more compatible with linux.

Frak
December 23rd, 2008, 05:58 AM
Forgot to mention, the Core i7 does NOT support ECC memory. Almost all the boards claim support for it, but only if the CPU supports it (for which, as I stated, does not on any of them).

So, don't buy ECC memory...

OutOfReach
December 23rd, 2008, 06:04 AM
Guys I almost forgot one more thing, wireless adapters. I only use Wireless so can anyone recommend a good (cheap) wireless adapter that's compatible w/ Linux.

darrenn
December 23rd, 2008, 06:07 AM
19 inch monitor? That's way to small for a new monitor. I would suggest going lga 775 and using the money to buy a bigger monitor. Trust me size does matter.

OutOfReach
December 23rd, 2008, 06:09 AM
Well I've had a 15 inch monitor for the past 3 years, so I think 19 inches would be livable.

darrenn
December 23rd, 2008, 06:13 AM
Well you should at least try out a big monitor at store/friends/school/work. Before you buy your system. Having a big monitor makes your more productive imo.

OutOfReach
December 23rd, 2008, 06:16 AM
Well, I started searching on newegg and I found an Acer 22 inch for just 30 more dollars.

I guess I'll go with the 22"

darrenn
December 23rd, 2008, 06:21 AM
You will thank me later hopefully. But do a google for some reviews on this monitor. Better to be safe than sorry.

Frak
December 23rd, 2008, 06:26 AM
Well, I started searching on newegg and I found an Acer 22 inch for just 30 more dollars.

I guess I'll go with the 22"
I have this monitor and it is very nice. It is HD and comes with both DVI and VGA connectors. For the price, it's a steal.

Barriehie
December 23rd, 2008, 06:28 AM
---quoted text muted---
Any reason? I've personally have had good experiences with Seagate (with my Laptop that is).

3 reasons, they went belly up and were non-recoverable on 3 different machines. I've been building machines since 1982 and some parts work better than others and some parts work better with other parts.

Barrie

Edit: By belly up I mean the electronics broke and it was no longer a communicating device on the bus. These were hardware failures, not missing files etc.

OutOfReach
December 23rd, 2008, 06:31 AM
3 reasons, they went belly up and were non-recoverable on 3 different machines. I've been building machines since 1982 and some parts work better than others and some parts work better with other parts.

Barrie

Edit: By belly up I mean the electronics broke and it was no longer a communicating device on the bus. These were hardware failures, not missing files etc.

Hmm, any hdd suggestions?

(BTW I still need suggestions for Wireless network adapters)

Barriehie
December 23rd, 2008, 06:40 AM
Hmm, any hdd suggestions?

(BTW I still need suggestions for Wireless network adapters)

Maxtors have never failed me. I just keep moving them from machine to machine...

Barrie

OutOfReach
December 23rd, 2008, 07:13 AM
Maxtors, interesting, I'll look into them.

For my wireless network adapter, I am looking ath this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127075), what do you guys think?

magmon
December 23rd, 2008, 07:20 AM

For my wireless network adapter, I am looking ath this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127075), what do you guys think?

Looks pretty good for the money, but I dont know what to think about the big black... THING... Sticking out the side lol..

OutOfReach
December 23rd, 2008, 07:23 AM
hah, well it'll be in the back so no one will ever find out. 8-[

Frak
December 23rd, 2008, 07:29 AM
Looks pretty good for the money, but I dont know what to think about the big black... THING... Sticking out the side lol..
...it's the antenna...

Liviu-Theodor
December 23rd, 2008, 07:32 AM
Maxtors have never failed me. I just keep moving them from machine to machine...

Barrie

Maxtor has been bought by Seagate... As Quantum has been bought by Maxtor...

clhsharky
December 23rd, 2008, 07:45 AM
What power supply are you using for your computer build. May I recommend a 80+ certified Antec or Seasonic for your nice equipment. Its very important to have a qualty power supply. I have used the EDIMAX EW-7128G IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card on to of my computers with Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 with no problem at all.

magmon
December 23rd, 2008, 07:51 AM
...it's the antenna...

I know, I just couldn't spell it and didn't want to make myself look like more of a moron than necessary.

OutOfReach
December 23rd, 2008, 07:57 AM
What power supply are you using for your computer build. May I recommend a 80+ certified Antec or Seasonic for your nice equipment. Its very important to have a qualty power supply. I have used the EDIMAX EW-7128G IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card on to of my computers with Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 with no problem at all.

Wow that PCI wireless card looks extremely tempting based on the reviews and the price, did it work out-of-the box for you?

And as for my power supply the case that I bought has a 400W(20+4 pin) power supply, I am not sure if that is good/bad.

clhsharky
December 23rd, 2008, 08:24 AM
Yes it worked "out of the box". But I do recommend a good power supply, what comes in the cases are usually just cheap! It can be another brand, but check the reviews for a good power supply that you can afford. It may be a little more than you like,but it will be worth it in the end.

OutOfReach
December 23rd, 2008, 08:38 AM
I'll search on newegg and see if there are any (cheap) good power supplies.

Liviu-Theodor
December 23rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
I'll search on newegg and see if there are any (cheap) good power supplies.

A good power supply is not cheap and a cheap power supply is not good. A good indicator could be its weight (usually the good ones have more pieces inside, so they are more heavy). I have a Thermaltake 500W, with 8 IDE HDD c., 4 SATA HDD c., 2 FDD c., 1 24 pins motherboard c., 1 PCIE c., 1 CPU power c., where c. means connector(s). I can use it with 6 HDD's and 2 optical drives (maybe more), each HDD having its cooler on it, and with 2 case coolers, but still, the processor is quite old (Athlon XP 2600+, Barton technology, buyed in 2004), and the video card is just a Radeon 9500 Pro.

Barriehie
December 23rd, 2008, 03:34 PM
For a backup drive I've got a Hitachi 7200 RPM 80 gig. I don't have a bunch of videos or music on here; not what I use the machine for so it's sufficient in size; currently only use about 25% of it. My backups are rotated so I don't have to pay attention to it. I've also got it partitioned so that my /home/barrie folder is on there and it also contains the mount point should I choose to mount the ******* partition while running Ubuntu.

I would suggest installing a backup drive. It can drastically reduce the humpty dumpty time if you manage to hose your system. :P

Barrie

OutOfReach
December 23rd, 2008, 11:55 PM
I have an extra drive laying here, Western Digital drive to be exact haven't used it in a while but it'll do for a backup drive.

Here, are my (hopefully) final specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66 GHz
Memory: Corsair XMS3 (3x1gb)
HDD: Western Digital SE16 WP5000AAKS (500gb for 60$, what a steal!)
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 8600 GT
Case: Rosewill TU-155 (Should I go with the one with the 400w power supply or the one w/ 500w?)
Monitor: 22" Acer X223WBD
Keyboard: Logitech 967740-0403
Motherboard: EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1
CD/DVD: HP dvd1070i (Hope I'm making the right choice w/ SATA)
Wireless: EDIMAX EW-7128G (Supposedly works out of the box)
Fan/Heatsink: Vigor Monsoon III

Speak now or forever hold your peace. I'll be ordering later today (all of these things from newegg).
I've looked on Newegg for power supplies but of course you get what you pay for, right? I'll just save up money for a good power supply later on.

Lostincyberspace
December 24th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I am not sure but I think I have that wireless card if so then it works great.

I will check and get back to you.

EDIT: It is it work amazingly. if you cant get a strong enough signal they sell better antennas to go with them.

Frak
December 24th, 2008, 12:30 AM

EDIT: It is it work amazingly. if you cant get a strong enough signal they sell better antennas to go with them.
It uses the RaLink chipset, so the drivers are already installed. (By the way, love the gigantic antenna)

OutOfReach
December 24th, 2008, 12:34 AM

Ahh, ok cool well that's re-assuring.

It uses the RaLink chipset, so the drivers are already installed. (By the way, love the gigantic antenna)

That's even more re-assuring.
Personally, I don't have a problem with the Antenna as long as it works well.

tad1073
December 24th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I just bought a new computer, the specs are in my sig.
I added the nvidia 9500 gt which I picked up at best buy for $100, I have had my wireless card (D-Link DWA-552 w/n and g support)for a while, also from best buy for $79.99, and considering where I am and where the router is I works well.

I bought a Seagate 500gb hdd for $69.99 from http://www.microcenter.com (http://www.microcenter.com/), a computer supperstore, and a Pioneer DVD-CD R/RW for about the same price which sucks. I could not get linux to load on the system it was on to save my life but it would load the MS XP disk and play dvd's and cd's.

The dwa-552 worked out of the box with 8.10 x86_64, worked with 8.04 after getting ndiswrapper (Windows Wireless Driver) from the ubuntu install cd.

---------------- Now playing: Widespread Panic - May Your Glass Be Filled (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/widespread+panic/track/may+your+glass+be+filled) via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

OutOfReach
December 24th, 2008, 12:58 AM
I just bought a new computer, the specs are in my sig.
I added the nvidia 9500 gt which I picked up at best buy for $100, I have had my wireless card (D-Link DWA-552 w/n and g support)for a while, also from best buy for $79.99, and considering where I am and where the router is I works well.

I bought a Seagate 500gb hdd for $69.99 from http://www.microcenter.com (http://www.microcenter.com/), a computer supperstore, and a Pioneer DVD-CD R/RW for about the same price which sucks. I could not get linux to load on the system it was on to save my life but it would load the MS XP disk and play dvd's and cd's.

The dwa-552 worked out of the box with 8.10 x86_64, worked with 8.04 after getting ndiswrapper (Windows Wireless Driver) from the ubuntu install cd.

---------------- Now playing: Widespread Panic - May Your Glass Be Filled (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/widespread+panic/track/may+your+glass+be+filled) via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

Let me ask you, did the 9500 GT work (either out-of-the box or manually) w/ Ubuntu? It's only $60 dollars right now on newegg.

inxygnuu
December 24th, 2008, 12:59 AM
I believe everything works. I would be careful though, when putting it together, that has to be at least $2000 in parts. That will be a FAST computer though!:):KS:):KS:)

tad1073
December 24th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Let me ask you, did the 9500 GT work (either out-of-the box or manually) w/ Ubuntu? It's only $60 dollars right now on newegg.

Had to install the drivers but that was pretty much automatic. Or you could could try envy

OutOfReach
December 24th, 2008, 01:03 AM
I believe everything works. I would be careful though, when putting it together, that has to be at least $2000 in parts. That will be a FAST computer though!:):KS:):KS:)

lol according to my calculations its only $1,189+taxes, all from newegg. :)

Had to install the drivers but that was pretty much automatic. Or you could could try envy

Awesome, does it work flawlessly, any problems?

tad1073
December 24th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Awesome, does it work flawlessly, any problems?

No problems so far.

---------------- Now playing: Jack Johnson - Inaudible Melodies (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/jack+johnson/track/inaudible+melodies) via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

OutOfReach
December 24th, 2008, 01:07 AM
No problems so far.

---------------- Now playing: Jack Johnson - Inaudible Melodies (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/jack+johnson/track/inaudible+melodies) via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

Then it's settled, the video card will be a GeForce 9500 GT. :)