PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] migrating from Vista dual boot to 100% Ubuntu

d1ffuse
December 23rd, 2008, 02:50 AM
So here's the story so far.
About 12 months ago I decided to take the plunge and try Ubuntu to see if it could serve my home computing purposes. Not wanting to jump in without a lifejacket I chose to dual boot my 64-bit Core2 machine with Vista and Ubuntu 8.04.

Since then I upgraded to 8.10 and all went smoothly. So much so that I'm considering dumping Vista altogether.

I did a few searches for keywords like 'migrate' 'from' 'dual-boot' and 'convert' etc but no luck tracking down an existing thread, which got me to thinking:

My first question: Is it really necessary to drop Vista?
It's not like I need the hard drive space, so theoretically Vista could sit there forever and wouldn't bother me.

Would the process of migrating from dual boot to Ubuntu just be an unnecessary pain in the butt, especially given I've got my Ubuntu system humming along nicely? And would it bring any real performance benefits?

If I go for 100% Ubuntu, what steps do I need to take to remove the 'dual boot' process?

Your thoughts?

gettinoriginal
December 23rd, 2008, 02:56 AM
If you are not worried about drive space, I would just leave it alone. You don't have to use Vista, let it sit :P

hansdown
December 23rd, 2008, 02:58 AM
Hi d1ffuse.

You're right. There is no real reason to give up your dual boot.

If you decide to go 100% ubuntu, just boot from your install disk, and choose take entire disk. I hope this helps.

damonVT
December 23rd, 2008, 03:06 AM
You would not need to reinstall to get rid of Vista. You could just reformat the partition it is on, then you could use the space in Ubuntu for media storage, backup, whatever. The only other thing to remove the last remnant of Vista would be to take that option out of the boot menu but is totally not necessary if you don't mind seeing the option.

The only benefit you'd get is the hard drive space, there is 0 performance increase.

d1ffuse
December 24th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I think Iĺl let sleeping microsoft giants lie.
Cheers