PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub doesn't list Vista/Ubuntu

mercenary10
December 23rd, 2008, 02:08 AM
I went through my ubuntu installation on my new laptop, and there was some error saying it couldn't install some kernel. I simply said continue, and there was another error saying the grub loader couldn't be installed. I clicked on "Continue without installing a loader" and when I booted up, I saw Grub. It only lists Ubuntu memtest, Windows Vista (loader), and Windows XP Embedded. If I boot into Vista, it takes me to the recovery menu, and if I boot into XP, it gives me a blue screen.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

jimmy the saint
December 23rd, 2008, 02:15 AM
try to do the install over again. I would recommend making a small (100MB) partition and mounting it as /boot. That tends to solve the problem for people who report similar problems.

As a general rule, if the kernel can't be installed you shouldn't continue. It's like buying a car even though the dealer said they coudn't find the engine for it.

mercenary10
December 23rd, 2008, 02:17 AM
try to do the install over again. I would recommend making a small (100MB) partition and mounting it as /boot. That tends to solve the problem for people who report similar problems.

As a general rule, if the kernel can't be installed you shouldn't continue. It's like buying a car even though the dealer said they coudn't find the engine for it.

Ah.

Is there any way to simply remove ubuntu?

I can't boot into any OS right now.

Sef
December 23rd, 2008, 02:20 AM
Did you shrink the Vista partition with Ubuntu, Vista, or other partitioner?

mercenary10
December 23rd, 2008, 02:21 AM
Did you shrink the Vista partition with Ubuntu, Vista, or other partitioner?

I just used the Guided partition option.

mercenary10
December 23rd, 2008, 02:37 AM
When I went back and reinstalled ubuntu, and got to the Grub part, it said the only OS it detetced was Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader), and Microsoft Windows XP Embedded.

=\

Sef
December 23rd, 2008, 02:56 AM
I just used the Guided partition option.

Vista needs to be shrunk with its own partitoner. I'm not sure if there is another way to fix your problem without having Vista on the whole partition, then reinstalling Ubuntu. I will let someone else tell you, if that is possible, or if I have them I will do research, or you could do research on that.

caljohnsmith
December 23rd, 2008, 03:13 AM
If you want a "quick fix" in order to boot back into Vista, how about from your Ubuntu Live CD (install CD) open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and do:

sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr
That will restore a Windows equivalent MBR to your internal drive so that you should be able to boot into Vista again. Let me know how that goes or if you run into problems.

mercenary10
December 23rd, 2008, 04:06 AM
I don't see any Applications option on the CD. Is there any other way to get to a terminal?

How would I go about removing Grub? I currently have Vista installed, and don't have the vista discs because my laptop came installed with it. I tried do to "fixmbr" with the WinXP discs, but that didn't work, lol.

bryncoles
December 23rd, 2008, 10:57 AM
applications should be top left on the live CD. if its not then press alt-f2 and a run dialogue should appear. type 'terminal' into that, press return and the terminal should appear. then cut-and-paste caljohnsmith's command into the terminal and cross your fingers!

eder.apt-get
December 23rd, 2008, 12:12 PM
After that "restart" from the beginning, I recommend you go through some tips on setting up partitions. Itīs very easy, which also means, itīs very easy to make mistakes. Check this page:
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_linux_is_already_ installed.htm

mercenary10
December 23rd, 2008, 06:16 PM
If you want a "quick fix" in order to boot back into Vista, how about from your Ubuntu Live CD (install CD) open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and do:

sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr
That will restore a Windows equivalent MBR to your internal drive so that you should be able to boot into Vista again. Let me know how that goes or if you run into problems.

I had to redownload ubuntu (the latest 8.10 version) and this worked. I was able to boot into vista, thanks.

Now, however, I'm lost installing 8.10. I'm using a USB stick, and I get to this terminal-like thing that says "ubuntu@ubuntu", not sure what to do there. It doesn't go to the same menu as the other CD, where you would simply click "Install ubuntu".

Duck2006
December 23rd, 2008, 06:21 PM
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm