PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie on the forum

beameup
December 11th, 2005, 03:52 AM
Just my "Hello" to get started.

My name is Scott (now you know why I use that nick) and I live in between Baton Rouge and New Orleans LA. Married 22 years, have 2 grown kids and work in the petrochemical industry. I have a 3 PC home network.
I'm not a total noob to Linux, I've been using Xandros since June and now it's time to expand my horizons. Never really messed with GNOME so now's my chance. I've looked at the LiveCD a few times and decided to give it a go. I dedicated a 20GB on my HD for Ubuntu. I'll be triple booting XPee, Xandros, and Ubuntu. Still waiting for my CD's to arrive, but I may go ahead and download/burn the ISO and get started.

It looks like a solid distro and I see it has great forum support like Xandros does. You'll see me asking questions or offering my 2 cents from time to time.

KiwiNZ
December 11th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Welcome aboard

beameup
December 13th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Wow, this is a fast moving place I see!

I now have a multi-boot system XP/Ubuntu/Xandros. I found everything I needed to know by searching here or in the Wiki. Did have some tense moments getting that partition to go with Ubuntu but finally got it straight.
I put Ubuntu on the last 20GB of the drive and Grub made me make that bootable before it would work(either that or I didn't know what I was doing LMAO). Have to use Lilo when using Xandros so a quick restore got everybody booting happily again. I'm planning on removing Ubuntu from this machine in the future and load it exclusively on another machine I own that doesn't have a monitor right now. But I had to run with it first!

I'm still hanging on to XPee mainly just for the Money program. I'm testing Moneydance right now and that may be the ticket to dump it for good.

I'm sure most of you have been reading Tux magazine and the ongoing dislike of Gnome. Well, now that I've tried it, it really doesn't matter to me whether I use KDE or GNOME. Really. It's a great desktop. And I'll stand by my first post, strong distro with a great(and busy)support forum.

So thanks to all the users who don't even know they helped me!