PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Did the Internet Die Today or is it just me???

suomalainen
December 23rd, 2008, 01:49 AM
Ubunteros,

Last couple of day's I've noticed that it is either impossible or nearly impossible to log into websites requiring a user name and password.

The list of websites includes utilities, bank, credit card, telephone, government.....etc........

Fustrated, I went to my XP machine and had the same results. I then tried on my laptop and another PC. All yield the same result. My test utilised 3 different o/s's (Ubuntu, xp,2000) I simply cannot log onto a website where a user name and password is required. Even earlier today logging into the Ubuntu Forum had same result but now is better.

I have broadband via Comcast. All the owners of the websites I tried to connect to stated that their servers are up and running and no issues were present.

This is really strange problem. Has anyone else experienced the same?

metallicamike
December 23rd, 2008, 01:51 AM
maybe it is something wrong with your router?

gettinoriginal
December 23rd, 2008, 01:52 AM
Been fine here, govt, bank, and all web sites without trouble.

suomalainen
December 23rd, 2008, 01:53 AM
What can be wrong with my router? What do I need to look for?

jamesrfla
December 23rd, 2008, 01:55 AM
Try rebooting your router and modem. Turn both of them off for two min. Then turn your modem on and wait one min. Then turn your router back on.

arpanaut
December 23rd, 2008, 01:58 AM
You have Comcast in Jyväskylä?

Didn't know they went international...

Anyway I am serviced by comcast in Indiana, USA and am doing fine.

suomalainen
December 23rd, 2008, 02:01 AM
Yea it's called being on a business trip! :P

doas777
December 23rd, 2008, 02:04 AM
you may want to check your router DNS and UPNP settings, if they exists. there are attacks that use upnp to register fake addresses for common sights.

if you do find that everything works fine after reseting and checking your router settings (and removing anything weird), then i strongly recommend you change your passwords everywhere.

good luck
franklin

arpanaut
December 23rd, 2008, 02:16 AM
Yea it's called being on a business trip! :P

Sorry I couldn't resist being a smart-az

Shot in the dark...
Are you inputting your info in the language that the sites are expecting?

jimmy the saint
December 23rd, 2008, 02:17 AM
There was a news report about how the undresea cable that connects the US to Eurasia was cut again and how it was messing a lot of the internet up. I doubt it is what is causing your specific issue, but it could explain a lot of issues that people may have.

73ckn797
December 23rd, 2008, 02:27 AM
I generally get slow internet connections in the late afternoon. I figure that it is just a traffic jam, not unlike the interstate highways around any major city. Things move but slowly at times, then opens up and you are traveling at full speed.

suomalainen
December 23rd, 2008, 03:37 AM
Hello Everyone,

I re-booted the router and modem and now I'm back up and running!!!

BUT I still have an unanswered question.

Why did this issue/problem only affect sites requiring a user name and password????

Thanks!

chrisod
December 23rd, 2008, 03:57 AM
Just a guess...but log in pages are usually encrypted and not cached. I'm gonna guess maybe it was caching the pages and that could cause the login to screw up.