PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Launching gnome terminal on start up, no Window Menu

Vpc
December 23rd, 2008, 01:26 AM
I have set gnome-terminal to launch on start-up via Sessions Preferences in the System menu. However, when gnome desktop is loaded, the character terminal appears in the top-right corner of the desktop without a Window Menu so I can't minimize or move the character terminal.

Why is this? Is there any way I can launch the gnome-terminal on startup such that it appears inside a standard window with a Window Menu?

Thanks.

Vpc
September 9th, 2011, 05:04 PM
To clarify, the Window menu appears hidden under the top menu bar. Using alt-f7 I am able to move the terminal window down so the Window menu becomes accessible but it would be nice to be able to make it so that the top of the terminal window doesn't appear hidden on start up.

stinkeye
September 9th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Have you been trying to figure this out for 3 years? :confused:

Try using this as your startup command.

bash -c "sleep 10 && gnome-terminal"

and/or if your using compiz
you could set the placement mode for new windows as centred.
ccsm > window management > place windows

Vpc
November 9th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Have you been trying to figure this out for 3 years? :confused:

Try using this as your startup command.

bash -c "sleep 10 && gnome-terminal"

and/or if your using compiz
you could set the placement mode for new windows as centred.
ccsm > window management > place windows

I think the problem stopped after I recently upgraded to Lucid 10.04 and turned off Desktop Effects via System > Preferences > Appearance > Visual Effects

It's one of those problems that's easy to forget, just got use to moving the terminal window using alt-F7. I may have tried using 'sleep' as you suggested a few years ago but may not have worked. Both are valid suggestions.