PDA

View Full Version : Rhapsody vs. Flock

Rhapsody
December 22nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
I ended up taking a look at Flock recently, and wrote about (http://pointlessness.freehostia.com/2008/december/flock.php) my experiences. Most of this deals with Flock itself, but one issue that concerns Ubuntu directly is the lack of Flock in the official repositories. Why is this? I also noted recently that neither LimeWire nor FrostWire are to be found either, despite both being GPLed applications. I know Flock and FrostWire are both available from GetDeb, but why haven't these applications made their way into the official repositories?

Twitch6000
December 23rd, 2008, 12:04 AM
I ended up taking a look at Flock recently, and wrote about (http://pointlessness.freehostia.com/2008/december/flock.php) my experiences. Most of this deals with Flock itself, but one issue that concerns Ubuntu directly is the lack of Flock in the official repositories. Why is this? I also noted recently that neither LimeWire nor FrostWire are to be found either, despite both being GPLed applications. I know Flock and FrostWire are both available from GetDeb, but why haven't these applications made their way into the official repositories?

I think Frostwire and Limewire are nor in the offical repos due to what most if not all people use them for(illegal music downloading).

grazed
December 23rd, 2008, 12:20 AM
Rhapsody and Flock are two completely different things... What do they have to do with each other?

zmjjmz
December 23rd, 2008, 12:37 AM
Firefox's Linux download is a tarball because they expect distro maintainers to package it for them. The same goes for Flock and Songbird. So it's not their fault that they're putting out a tarball.
The direct to the Windows download page seems to be a failed attempt at OS detection via browser string, like what Mozilla, Opera, and Google do.
As for the localizations, it's clear that they just don't have enough staff to do all the translations.
Oh, and it is easy to install for Linux, right? There are getdeb packages.

(And it's not really their fault that they aren't in the Ubuntu repositories. That's up to the MOTU team, and I have no clue why they wouldn't put it in.
It might have to do with the lack of localizations.)

EDIT: The Linux download works perfectly if you let it execute scripts.
(I bet you're using NoScript)

Rhapsody
December 23rd, 2008, 01:21 AM
EDIT: The Linux download works perfectly if you let it execute scripts.
(I bet you're using NoScript)
Seems I forgot to add an exception (can't believe I forgot to check that), I'll have to edit my article.

rmockler
January 10th, 2009, 04:17 PM
grazed:

Rhapsody (the User Id) is battling Flock (the browser package)

rmockler
March 11th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Must have been a pretty worthless post by me, sorry !!
It seemed OK at the time.
Thanks...