PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where does the synaptic package manager save the .deb files ???

isaacrc82
December 22nd, 2008, 11:06 PM
Hi every body:

I would want to know where does the synaptic package manager save the .deb files that I have downloaded from internet or from a local repository.
I have searched in /var/cache/apt/archives/ but there aren't .deb files.
How should I configure my ubuntu linux machine to enable the downloading in a directory the .deb files ???
Could you help me please ???
Regards
Ariel

akelsall
December 22nd, 2008, 11:09 PM
That directory (var/cache/apt/archives/) is where you "should" find the .deb files. You haven't ran any type of apt-get command to remove old .deb files, have you?

Andy

isaacrc82
December 22nd, 2008, 11:14 PM
No, I haven't ran any type of apt-get command to remove old .deb files, I have only use the synaptic package manager and I don't know why in the (/var/cache/apt/archives/) there isn't the .deb files.
Is there a way to download again in the (/var/cache/apt/archives/) the .deb files of all the programs that I have installed before ???
I hope you can help me ???
Regards
Ariel

Shazaam
December 22nd, 2008, 11:28 PM
In Synaptic>Preferences>Files make sure "Delete downloaded packages after installation" is NOT checked. And if you click "Delete Cached Package Files" you will loose everything in /var/cache/apt/archives.

isaacrc82
December 22nd, 2008, 11:30 PM
Is there a way to download again in the (/var/cache/apt/archives/) the .deb files of all the programs that I have installed before ???

I hope you can help me ???
Regards
Ariel

zvacet
December 22nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
To get list of installed packages

dpkg --get-selections > installed-software

and to download them again

dpkg --set-selections < installed-software
dselect

isaacrc82
December 23rd, 2008, 11:03 PM
It doesn't download in (/var/cache/apt/archives/) any .deb package file.
Is there another way to do it ???

One thing I must clarify is that I have a local repository in /media/DATA/repo, but I need to obtain from /var/cache/apt/archives the .deb files of the packages that I installed, I'm going to copy these .deb files to another machine without LAN connection to installed the same packages I have installed in this machine.
I am using ubuntu intrepid ibex.

I hope you can help me.
Regards
Ariel

zvacet
December 24th, 2008, 12:03 AM
It doesn't download in (/var/cache/apt/archives/) any .deb package file.

But it download them somewhere.Put all debs in one folder and name folder as you wish.Go inside that folder and then

sudo cp *deb /var/cache/apt/archives

From synaptic install aptoncd and make iso from your /var/cache/apt/archives.Burn iso to the cd/dvd and put in in second comp.More info about aptoncd you can find here. (http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/)

isaacrc82
December 24th, 2008, 12:24 AM
But it download them somewhere. Where ???
How do I search in all the file system for all the .deb files ???

Greetings
Ariel

jonlemur
January 12th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Sorry if this is too late, but to search the entire filesystem for all .deb packages, you can use
sudo find / -name *.deb