PDA

View Full Version : No more video garbage

isaacj87
December 22nd, 2008, 10:51 PM
Apparently, this fix is primarily for Kubuntu users, so I don't know if this would benefit any Ubuntu users. I've noticed that when using KDE 4.1 or 4.2 betas, I get this nasty looking video garbage upon opening programs (even when I minimize/unminimize). This mostly happens with GTK related apps like Firefox. A custom patch to xorg was causing the trouble. Here's a snippet of what Martin Gräßlin said on his blog:

Good news to all Kubuntu and Fedora users. The cause for the video garbage (http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=170462) appearing whenever a new window is opened has been discovered. A custom patch to xorg is causing the trouble. Now we can only hope that the distributions will provide updates for xorg without this patch.

A fix has been made available. Someone commented on Martin's blog saying that the patch was probably necessary for something and the removal of the patch could cause compositing to suffer. I haven't noticed anything wrong (I'm using an Intel chipset), but your mileage may vary. If you're using the new Nvidia beta drivers, you probably won't need this. If you would like to try and see if this fix works for you, simply add this PPA to your sources.list and upgrade:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/adamspain/ubuntu intrepid main

For those interested in seeing the full blog post, you can find that here (http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/?p=211).

MikeTheC
December 23rd, 2008, 06:15 AM
Yeah, I get that a lot with Firefox (mainly) under Gnome.

But what I wish they'd fix is half to 3/4 of the time whenever I click on something in a window in Firefox in Linux (doesn't happen at all in Mac OS X or Windows) Firefox goes and does something else, like opening a properties display dialog for the link, or trying to email the link to someone, or opening it in a new tab before I get to the point of clicking on "Open in New Tab".

Yeah, I wish to heck they'd fix that.

magmon
December 23rd, 2008, 07:55 AM
But what I wish they'd fix is half to 3/4 of the time whenever I click on something in a window in Firefox in Linux (doesn't happen at all in Mac OS X or Windows) Firefox goes and does something else, like opening a properties display dialog for the link, or trying to email the link to someone, or opening it in a new tab before I get to the point of clicking on "Open in New Tab".

Yeah, I wish to heck they'd fix that.

I dont have that problem... Thats odd lol.

TWO
December 23rd, 2008, 06:55 PM
I dont have that problem... Thats odd lol.

Wow lucky you!

That has been one of the consistently annoying things about Firefox under (K)Ubuntu for me...

Skripka
December 23rd, 2008, 07:11 PM
Wow lucky you!

That has been one of the consistently annoying things about Firefox under (K)Ubuntu for me...

Heck I was seeing vid garbage on QT apps...granted with a quick system-you only see it for a second or so--but it is an eyesore to something that is otherwise slick.