PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Which version would likely work on a Pentium 2 machine?

73ckn797
December 22nd, 2008, 10:29 PM
Which version would likely work best on a Pentium 2 machine with at least 256MB RAM?

SlidingHorn
December 22nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
I believe any version should work perfectly fine, but it would help to know more about the machine you're installing to (RAM, CPU speed, etc)

If you're looking for a resource-conscious version, try xubuntu or even fluxbuntu (less supported). There are other smaller distros that are not Ubuntu-based, but we'll worry about those if your system won't support what's in front of you :)

73ckn797
December 22nd, 2008, 11:30 PM
I believe any version should work perfectly fine, but it would help to know more about the machine you're installing to (RAM, CPU speed, etc)

If you're looking for a resource-conscious version, try xubuntu or even fluxbuntu (less supported). There are other smaller distros that are not Ubuntu-based, but we'll worry about those if your system won't support what's in front of you :)

I was figuring at the latest 8.04 will do fine from posts that I have seen before. I believe that it is 400Mhz. Just an old machine that I want to monkey around with.

Yes, Xubuntu was what I had in mind. If that does not work I will look into something else.

nabilalk
December 23rd, 2008, 02:06 AM
Yes, Xubuntu was what I had in mind. If that does not work I will look into something else.

Using Xubuntu on a Dell Inspiron 2650, with 256 MB SDRAM, and it is kinda sluggish. With a Pentium II, I would look into using something else. Perhaps Damn Small Linux, or Puppy Linux.

snowpine
December 23rd, 2008, 03:31 PM
I can't recommend anything based on Ubuntu for that system. Definitely check out Puppy or DSL.

73ckn797
December 23rd, 2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks for all the response. I will look into things later when I have more time. After the Christmas/New Year.