PDA

View Full Version : Would would you want to see in a *new* Linux distro?

inxygnuu
December 22nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Hello, Some of you may know me others not, but I want to *someday* create my own Linux distro, and the philosophy is innovation. So my question is: What would you like to see in a distro that would come out, maybe sometime in 2010 (if i am lucky). Ideas could be just about anything, considering all of the things Linux has already accomplished!:)Please realize that i am sketching, have a limited budget, and really don't need any bashing.

Thanks for any input,
3v4n

Twitch6000
December 22nd, 2008, 09:41 PM
Sure I like new distro's,but by new I mean they start new and not based off anything.(this causes problems)

Heck just a few days or weeks ago we had a nice new mini distro come out that would be good for windows 3.1 computers lol... and it was its own distro.

I wouldn't mind seeing more brand new distros.

Seeing remix's is just causing more and more trouble really (look at Linux Mint,good distro,but it wasn't really worthy of calling its own distro until version 4)

Anyways to the point, yes make your own distro,but make sure it is worth being called its own distro and not a remix :).

BrandonBan6
December 22nd, 2008, 09:46 PM
I think a windows to linux "bridged" distro would be cool. A lot of users are trying linux for the first time, so they are very dependent on a windows still. Having a distro with tools that smoothed that cross over process would be sweet.

MikeTheC
December 22nd, 2008, 09:50 PM
The problem with "innovative" is that it's a near-meaningless term, much as "dubious" is.

In my view, the primary benefit of having a plurality of distros comes down to two things:

1. Spurring competition;
2. Targeting specific sets of uses either not done before or in some incredibly unique way.

People on here from time to time like to complain about APT, or Yum, or any of the other package management systems out there in the wild. Instead of churning up the waters and spinning your wheels creating yet another distro, why not put your efforts and interests in coming up with a new PMS which could be the successor to any we're now using?

Grant A.
December 22nd, 2008, 10:05 PM
It should have updates and repository downloads based on a method of bittorrent-like protocols. It should also have an X auto-configuration tool and have popular WMs and DEs available in the distros.

inxygnuu
December 22nd, 2008, 10:25 PM
The problem with "innovative" is that it's a near-meaningless term, much as "dubious" is.

In my view, the primary benefit of having a plurality of distros comes down to two things:

1. Spurring competition;
2. Targeting specific sets of uses either not done before or in some incredibly unique way.

People on here from time to time like to complain about APT, or Yum, or any of the other package management systems out there in the wild. Instead of churning up the waters and spinning your wheels creating yet another distro, why not put your efforts and interests in coming up with a new PMS which could be the successor to any we're now using?

Yes, but that was not my idea originally. that is a good thought, but when i say innovation, I mean revolutionary. Not fighting, but one of my ideas would be to integrate brain waves with an OS. Kinda like speech recognition, but different. This would be done by creating an algothrim that turns brain waves into electric signals. Or like BrandonBan6's idea, where i could make an integrated edition in which it would be like reactOS. Also, i bet there is a code in windows that allows it to recognize all of the hardware without any drivers. I am not going to search for that in the OS, but i could create something like it.

billgoldberg
December 22nd, 2008, 10:30 PM
Yes, but that was not my idea originally. that is a good thought, but when i say innovation, I mean revolutionary. Not fighting, but one of my ideas would be to integrate brain waves with an OS. Kinda like speech recognition, but different. This would be done by creating an algothrim that turns brain waves into electric signals. Or like BrandonBan6's idea, where i could make an integrated edition in which it would be like reactOS. Also, i bet there is a code in windows that allows it to recognize all of the hardware without any drivers. I am not going to search for that in the OS, but i could create something like it.

Wow, really?

Ok.

Keep dreaming.

inxygnuu
December 22nd, 2008, 10:39 PM
Wow, really?

Ok.

Keep dreaming.

that was a put-down, but I will ignore it. I know it sounds crazy, but it is possible. Because if it wasn't possible, then you wouldn't hear the cool drum thing when Ubuntu starts, or even be able to see! It is based on the same concept, we just haven't done it yet. Just like how they can measure peoples brainwaves with machines, you simply take the cords, and from there, you start thinking on the compatibility. And I am not saying it ever will happen, but this is for ideas, not things that are going to happen in the near future.

shadylookin
December 22nd, 2008, 11:15 PM
I think I'd like to try a non-technical distro that uses a rolling release with a focus on bleeding edge packages. With a package manager that allows you to revert to a previous version if the current one breaks your system.

inxygnuu
December 22nd, 2008, 11:26 PM
I think I'd like to try a non-technical distro that uses a rolling release with a focus on bleeding edge packages. With a package manager that allows you to revert to a previous version if the current one breaks your system.

Let me edit that. A distro that for every release, makes a stable, and an unstable version. Although, that is like trying jaunty right now, and then revering it back to intrepid.

el02
December 23rd, 2008, 02:48 AM
IMHO, what I need is a stable, simple and OS that just works (like Ubuntu). I think that's what we need for a "platform". Then add-on things should be available in repos and up to the user to search-install-use.

shadylookin
December 23rd, 2008, 03:11 AM
Let me edit that. A distro that for every release, makes a stable, and an unstable version. Although, that is like trying jaunty right now, and then revering it back to intrepid.

not really I would like it just to roll back a specific package, for instance go from eclipse 3.4 to 3.2, not an entire release(I don't think it's possible to roll back a release when it's specifically a rolling release).

inxygnuu
December 23rd, 2008, 04:30 AM
not really I would like it just to roll back a specific package, for instance go from eclipse 3.4 to 3.2, not an entire release(I don't think it's possible to roll back a release when it's specifically a rolling release).

Oh, i get it, good idea. :)

doorknob60
December 23rd, 2008, 06:55 AM
An Arch based distro that's as easy to use as Ubuntu but faster and less bugs. To the point where I could recommend it to current Windows users like I do now with Ubuntu. With Chakra, that doesn't seem too far from happening :-) http://kdemod.ath.cx/

gn2
December 23rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
No way I'm letting a device with an internet connection look at my brainwaves if there's even the slightest chance it could interpret them correctly.

What you propose seems to me like something from the pen of George Orwell.

inxygnuu
December 23rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
No way I'm letting a device with an internet connection look at my brainwaves if there's even the slightest chance it could interpret them correctly.

What you propose seems to me like something from the pen of George Orwell.

your right, I need a way to tell people to do something about that. It cant read what you are thinking, it would read like an arm movement. Your brain controls your arms, and the OS could read that. Reading your mind through a machine is way beyond me. Your mind is the most complex part of your brain IMO. You would make a slight arm movement, for example, and the mouse would follow that movement. Or maybe, you could focus on a certain part of the screen, and that object would be selected. This could create fun games...

urukrama
December 23rd, 2008, 09:28 PM
You would make a slight arm movement, for example, and the mouse would follow that movement.

My mouse is doing that already! And my keyboard acts similarly! :p ;-)

SuperSonic4
December 23rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
One in which packages are maintained and updated regularly :p
Essential Packages

Amarok 1.4.10 not amarok 2
codecs (or medibuntu style repo)
k9copy
Multimedia converter

cb951303
December 23rd, 2008, 09:40 PM
there will always be some new concept that will be enough reason to create a new distro but for now I can't think of any... Too much distro saturation I think.

inxygnuu
December 24th, 2008, 01:02 AM
there will always be some new concept that will be enough reason to create a new distro but for now I can't think of any... Too much distro saturation I think.

Well, It is eventually going to be an OS, but for now a distro.

jonobe
December 24th, 2008, 01:48 AM
to read brain waves would need a few addons to the distro. Hardware would be an issue. Then there is the interpretation of the brain waves. A thought leading to a movement of the mouse may pose some configuration problems initially.

However, one day, it will/may be done. I look forward to the day I can download my brain memories to a USB stick.

By then, I will probably need it.

obsrv
December 24th, 2008, 01:50 AM
First you need experience in creating Linux distros. Join us, and together we shall rule the galaxy! -- Baltix GNU/Linux Developer, Adomas Jackevičius Bosanova

:popcorn:

coolethan
December 24th, 2008, 02:10 AM
there is such a thing as a neural impulse actuator. it's in the 10th anniversary maximum pc magazine. you wear it on your head and there's a little box thing you plug into your computer and it takes the neural impulses and translates that into movement on the screen. the guys used it to play unreal tournament 3, apparently it's pretty freaking awesome.

WaeV
December 24th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I'd like to make my own distro as well, as a side project. I would have it be a fusion of stark and pretty - designed for performance with a few nice extras added.

Like say the windows 2000 theme with wobbly windows.

coolethan
December 24th, 2008, 04:03 AM
make sure it has better auto detection for monitors and stuff because that was a real **** off in 8.04 and 8.10. 7.10 did a pretty good job of doing this.

Tipo
December 24th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I'm not sure how doable this is, but I feel that a distro should have a much easier way to manage software. I feel like installing software should be as easy as a drag and drop (a la OS X). No dependency-hell, no complicated package manager, etc. I think GoboLinux sort of started in the right direction with this: GoboLinux at a glance (http://www.gobolinux.org/index.php?page=at_a_glance).

inxygnuu
December 26th, 2008, 05:17 AM
there is such a thing as a neural impulse actuator. it's in the 10th anniversary maximum pc magazine. you wear it on your head and there's a little box thing you plug into your computer and it takes the neural impulses and translates that into movement on the screen. the guys used it to play unreal tournament 3, apparently it's pretty freaking awesome.

That is why i am asking for ideas. I need to move fast.

EDIT: I saw it in my new CPU magazine but I did not look it up. That works, and is real, now I only have to integrate it with an OS. I have read, and it works too. I am going to start saving up for one. Eventually, I can make my own.