PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] LIVE CD question

knightrider37876
December 22nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
I would like to use the LIVE cd on my laptop for demo to see if I want to fully install it or not. However, if I run updates and need to reboot; will the updates still be in effect? Or will I lose all the updates when the machine boots up again?

Any help would be appreciated!

snowpine
December 22nd, 2008, 07:19 PM
You will lose the updates when you reboot. You'll also lose any documents you created, files you downloaded, etc. unless you specifically save them to your hard drive, usb thumb drive, etc.

Hope that clarifies things and good luck!

knightrider37876
December 22nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks. Is there anyway to keep the updates without installing Ubuntu? What I'm wanting to do is see if the updates will fix a problem of not being able to connect to a network via my on-board wireless card. Right now it won't work when booting the LIVE cd.

snowpine
December 22nd, 2008, 07:59 PM
Your best bet is to do a search here on the forums for the specific model number and manufacturer of your wireless card. Chances are, someone else before you has had the same issue, and there is no need to reinvent the wheel. There are a lot of good tutorials here.

Sorry, but I do not think it is possible to save updates from session to session using a Live CD.