PDA

View Full Version : VirtualBox 2.1.0 released - great new features

Rocket2DMn
December 22nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
Just found on Slashdot (http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/12/22/167238)

VirtualBox 2.1.0 has been released, here is the changelog (http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog).

I'm very excited for the new Host Interface Networking so that we won't have to setup bridges anymore to get network IPs on vbox guests. Not to mention the (still experimental) ability to run 64 bit guests on top of a 32 bit host!

I had also heard before about the expiremental 3D acceleration with OpenGL - I hope this can usher in a bright future for those who still love their graphics intensive Windows games and are forced to dual boot.

notwen
December 22nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
I had also heard before about the expiremental 3D acceleration with OpenGL - I hope this can usher in a bright future for those who still love their graphics intensive Windows games and are forced to dual boot.

I couldn't agree w/ you more on this statement. Here's to hoping. *cheers* =]

Valok
December 22nd, 2008, 06:17 PM
Getting opengl to run will be really nice, but at the same time I don't see it being extremely useful. You still need to have a copy of windows, and I know I don't plan on buying one anytime soon. I do have a copy of XP and Vista, but when those are phased out and games will only run on newer winows OS's what then? I'll probably just stick with WINE.

But this is a great release indeed! I hope it helps more people feel comfortable with the switch from windows knowing that virtualization is getting better.

zmjjmz
December 22nd, 2008, 06:25 PM
How is running 64-bit guests on 32-bit hosts even possible:confused:

insane_alien
December 22nd, 2008, 07:29 PM
emulation, i imagine it would be as slow as hell though.

MikeTheC
December 22nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
Glad to hear about it. Can't wait to get my hands on it, since I have a VBox on mine with Vista (OEM restore disc that came with my eMachines unit).

doorknob60
December 22nd, 2008, 09:35 PM
I'm happy about the OpenGL. I got glxgears working in a Crunchbang guest easy, although the FPS was pretty low. Now we just need Direct3D :-D