PDA

View Full Version : Online Petition for TomTom's Home Software to Support Linux

YMS_1975
December 22nd, 2008, 05:09 PM
So I got tired of going back and forth with TomTom (e-mails & phone calls) asking them to support their Linux customers who use the TomTom Home software.

I've just created an online petition and I'm seeking all Ubuntu users who actually use the TomTom Home software to kindly sign it.

Since TomTom refuses to support it at this time, perhaps we can nudge them into thinking twice about their position.

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/tomlinux/

Please spread the word. If you come across any Ubuntu or TomTom/GPS websites, please post the link above. I believe if the demand is visible, TomTom will come around.

Until then, I'll be singing the blues...:guitar:

bazzer
December 29th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I don't believe they'll bat an eyelid. At all.

fitzbuntu
December 29th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I've signed.

Previously when I asked about Linux they simply re-iterated the fact that it only works on ******* and perhaps there will be a new version of Wine that will support it.

Pretty shallow that they benefit from using Linux for their devices but aren't interested in giving back to Linux users.

My TomTom was a gift so I didn't have a choice in picking it, however when it comes to replacing it then I'll be looking at the first vendor to offer Linux support.

On the other hand I'm surprised that someone hasn't managed to hack the TomTom files on the Linux kernel that they're using and create an open source version of TTH.

halovivek
December 29th, 2008, 07:45 PM
i have signed for you.

arepaking
December 29th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Hi,
I just wanted to tell you that I've signed the petition.

Good Luck!
AK

P.S: By the way, once you get the signed petitions that you need, how will you proceed to take them to tomtom? I'm just curious about how online petitions works.

bazzer
December 30th, 2008, 09:35 AM
On the other hand I'm surprised that someone hasn't managed to hack the TomTom files on the Linux kernel that they're using and create an open source version of TTH.

Good point. What exactly does HOME do? If (as I suspect) it's just copying files to a particular directory, I think that's totally do-able, either in a xulrunner app or as a mod for firefox, say....

YMS_1975
January 3rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
Hi,
I just wanted to tell you that I've signed the petition.

Good Luck!
AK

P.S: By the way, once you get the signed petitions that you need, how will you proceed to take them to tomtom? I'm just curious about how online petitions works.

Thanks for signing. :D

As for taking the signatures to TomTom, it's not a hard copy petition so there's nothing physically to take to TomTom.

I've written them one last e-mail advising them of my dissatisfaction with their lack of Linux support, and I e-mailed them the URL to the petition.

The funny thing is, the status of my very last communication (e-mail) to them is still marked as "unresolved". Any time you communicate with TomTom, they attempt to resolve your issue immediately. This last communication has been unresolved for about a week now.

Guess they have nothing to say.

YMS_1975
January 3rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
I don't believe they'll bat an eyelid. At all.

I hate to say this, but I agree with you. They probably won't.
But unless you're willing to do something, you've got no right to complain.

And I like to complain. :)

Hence my e-mails to TomTom. Now if they choose not to provide us with Linux support, at least I can say "I tried". But I think you're right; why would they support us when it's not guaranteed to make them any more money than they're already making? It's all about the almighty buck.

The truth is, they're doing just fine with or without Linux users. But again...this initiative was really about trying something new to resolve a problem.

Will this initiative work? Time will tell.

YMS_1975
January 3rd, 2009, 01:41 PM
The funny thing about TomTom is, apparently they're making some new enemies (not just aggravated Linux users).

I was in a bit of a..."mood" one night about this whole TomTom Home / Linux issue so I Googled "Boycott TomTom". Childish, I know.
But I did come across this guys rant :

http://beehivehairdresser.com/2008/12/23/boycott-tomtom/

Anyhow, I noticed nobody posted in his comments section (at the bottom) so I figured this would be a great way to spread the word.
If you're going to post anything on that site, remember it's moderator controlled so don't waste your time unless you're going to give your real e-mail info.

Slowly but surely we'll spread the word and people will be more aware. Until then, I would NOT recommend TomTom GPS devices to anybody. Instead, I'd consider an alternative such as the DVD-ROM based GPS devices.

mdbarton
January 5th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I've signed the petition!

kleeman
January 5th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I signed.

What is really galling about this is that many of their units use open source software to run (they publish it under the GPL). If you take advantage of the open source community you should feel an obligation to give back.

It's not as if the Home software is particularly complex.

What is also interesting is that Home is developed using XULRunner which was developed by the Mozilla Foundation who produce Firefox and Thunderbird.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xulrunner

Since Firefox and Thunderbird are cross platform why not Home? Details here:

http://www.tomtom.com/page.php?Page=mpl

It looks like firefox plus some minor mods and a binary blob in c++
Honestly how hard would it be to port that?

Spektakel
February 5th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I've signed the petition as well. It is the only reason why I'm forced to keep a dual boot system, and I know lots of people that won't convert to Linux/Ubuntu because of this.

roland_j
February 5th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I have signed the petition. I hope the TomTom management will change their minds and realize that Linux support is important.

Regards
Roland

offthegrid
February 22nd, 2009, 07:32 AM
I just installed 8.04 for a friend whose laptop was dead in the water from virus's and it is so much better than the last time I tried Linux that I was going to install myself but quickly looked at my software and TT Home is something I use all the time for custom POI's and map/software updates & Mapshare - can't go w/o.

The Home program really is some sort of front end for Windows/Mac to manipulate the Linux file system of the TomTom so it should be possible to front end from Linux even easier (I would think). I know TT is headed away from an open system though as they killed their SDK for the software.

I'm not positive how to setup a dual boot but thats the route I'll take now.

YMS_1975
April 17th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I've heard this before a few times too; that it should be easy to configure the HOME software to run on Linux, but to date nobody has accomplished this.

Would be nice if somebody with programming skills stepped up to the plate and did this. ;)

Any takers?

hebeallrusty
April 18th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I've downloaded the TomTom home software from their website (ver 1.6) http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/latest/TomTomHOMEwinlatest.exe and installed it on wine 1.0.1-0ubuntu6 (the one that comes with Jaunty). The installation went alright (it popped up a window below the install screen asking if I lived in Canada or USA, but I use opacify with compiz so could "see" it and navigate to "No" so that the installation could continue).

The device initially wasn't detected, but I clicked on "Device>Changed device" and a window popped up to select which disk drive it was on (in my case it was installed on the G drive). It does recognise the device and could do a backup of the software on it. It will also download updates, but it cannot find them to install them. I can also do a restore of the software on the TomTom

YMS_1975
April 18th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I've downloaded the TomTom home software from their website (ver 1.6) http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/latest/TomTomHOMEwinlatest.exe and installed it on wine 1.0.1-0ubuntu6 (the one that comes with Jaunty). The installation went alright (it popped up a window below the install screen asking if I lived in Canada or USA, but I use opacify with compiz so could "see" it and navigate to "No" so that the installation could continue).

The device initially wasn't detected, but I clicked on "Device>Changed device" and a window popped up to select which disk drive it was on (in my case it was installed on the G drive). It does recognise the device and could do a backup of the software on it. It will also download updates, but it cannot find them to install them. I can also do a restore of the software on the TomTom

My hope(s) is that as WINE progresses it'll be better equipped to handle programs like HOME.

Limited and/or improper functionality of the software (HOME) is of no use to GPS users. It's the only reason I still have Windows on one of my PCs.

I've got two other computers (a laptop & another desktop) that both run Ubuntu.

I guess there's not much more I can do.

altonbr
June 17th, 2009, 05:15 PM
The website appears to be down, so I can't sign the petition.

Any progress with this? I'm going to contact TomTom myself.

I also purchased TomTom because I knew they used Linux and gave back their modified code to the community but I never researched them enough to see if their devices worked with Linux. I just assumed...

YMS_1975
June 17th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Could be that their servers are busy right now. I tried it just now and yes, I'm having the same problem as you are accessing the site.

Give it a few hours maybe and try again. Hope you are able to sign it though.

Cheers. :D

deanerk
July 19th, 2009, 05:59 AM
I signed this petition a while back (#23) and came back to check things out today after getting thrown off track navigating with my tomtom that I have not been able to update as I haven't had a Windows machine at home for some time. I see that tomtom support still has no support for us. I also see that the petition has grown quite a bit since I signed it. This prompted me to remind tomtom support that we're looking for answers. I sent them the following tonight:

I'm sure your support team is aware of a movement to persuade you to give back to the open source community with support for Linux users who simply want to keep their tomtom devices up to date with the latest maps and enjoy all the functionality that Windows and Mac users have available through supported versions of your tomtomHome service. If you are not aware, check the petition here: http://www.petitiononline.com/tomlinux/

I signed this petition a few months ago (#23) and to date, 578 people have signed it. That may not sound significant, but consider that each of these signers may have mentioned this to 5 other people considering buying a tomtom device. With many new netbook computers shipping with Linux based operating systems, this number will continue to grow and influence people considering a new GPS device. Your support team has a unique opportunity to capture the attention of a growing market share of people interested in becoming a part of the open source community by marketing support for Linux users.

I am writing to you today after the frustration I dealt with trying to navigate unfamiliar territory with my tomtom that I have not been able to update with current maps because I choose not to pay for and own one of your supported operating systems. I would love the opportunity to report to other Linux users that this is a project on the radar with tomtom support. I look forward to your response and the ability to fully utilize my own tomtom device. Thank you.
I will post any replies I receive. Please continue to get the word out there about this. YMS, thank you for your efforts!

Vunutus
July 19th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I don't have a TomTom or I'd sign this.

Also, I viewed some random comments on the petition and it seems like a lot of the signers are being outright rude. Not the best way to get someone to listen IMO

deanerk
July 19th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Yes, some of the comments are a bit rude unfortunately, but I think most are from people who really want tomtom to consider them valuable customers. I tried to take a different approach and suggest to them that they're missing out on a marketing and sales opportunity. If I could use the tomtom Home service, I'd be happy to pay to download and install new voices for my unit, like Homer Simpson and Mr. T! Yeah, the wife would love that... "I pity the fool who doesn't turn left after 300 yards."

/usr/sbin
July 19th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I have signed it

deanerk
July 21st, 2009, 01:55 AM
Response from tomtom support below. I think it's pretty obvious this is the standard response unfortunately...

Dear Dean,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support regarding the use of Linux with your TomTom. My name is Brenda. We are always happy to help.

We can understand your frustrations. Our development team is working on a fix for this issue. At this time we do not have a time frame for when or if this will be working. Unfortunately, we would ask that you use a different computer for updating your device. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you.

Thank you for choosing TomTom for your navigation needs. If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST or Saturday, 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Brenda
TomTom Customer Support

altonbr
July 21st, 2009, 02:48 PM
Response from tomtom support below. I think it's pretty obvious this is the standard response unfortunately...

From the other responses, I think that sounds pretty hopeful. Thanks for posting.

capnthommo
July 21st, 2009, 02:50 PM
why would they support us when it's not guaranteed to make them any more money than they're already making? It's all about the almighty buck.

the thing is, i bought mine as a reluctant substitute when i wanted a garmin anyway. now i have it i dont see why i have to use windows just to update etc. and i definitely will not be buying another or buying anything else from them without linux support. so there's one little incentive for them and if we all make this clear then perhaps they will listen. (dont tell them, but i dont intend to buy from them anyway, but they dont need to know do they?)

anyhow, signing your petition and good luck to you.

cheers nigel

Arthur_D
July 21st, 2009, 02:58 PM
Signed as No. 593.

hyperdude111
July 21st, 2009, 03:11 PM
The funny thing is TomTom satnavs run the linux kernel.

Hirot
July 21st, 2009, 05:42 PM
Don't know if it helps but I have got TOMTOM HOME 1.5 up and running on my laptop using the latest Ubuntu and Wine, it can see my TomTom and read all the files. It also checks for updates sucessfully, however, I have a TomTom Go 720 which this release dosn't support so I am only partly happy.

To get this far I used winetricks to update C ++ libraries and at one time had Home2 at least recognising that I had disconnected the 720 from the laptop. i.e. Home threw up it is safe to disconnect the device even though it hadn't recognised it was there in the first place.

Anybody got any further ?

Swagman
July 21st, 2009, 07:03 PM
I suspect Redmond has leant on Tom Tom as part of the Patent agreement.

I doubt very much that the software will ever be ported.

The answer will be to look to ourselves.

(I wish I could code)

YMS_1975
July 25th, 2009, 08:42 PM

That's just their way of saying get lost.

When will TomTom wake up and smell the open source?! Geez!

woutervanvliet
August 12th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I'm number #666 on the list

Just substituted my One XL for a Go 730 (because of the IQ Routes and lane-assist).

Have also contacted the Dutch TomTom support department asking two questions:

1. what is the status of a Linux support for TomTom Home
2. Is there any other way to update maps, quickgpsfix etc form linux

Will post back any answer I get.

(but I don't expect much more than a polite "thank you, and keep hoping" ;))

m0ntels
August 12th, 2009, 07:28 PM
http://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/12015-where-quickgpsfixes-2.html#post74611

That should still work...I used it once or twice, but now I just update it at work so I can use Home.

phrostbyte
August 12th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Online petitions don't really work IMO. The better solution is to have people e-mail them with complaints. Also get some big tech news site to complain about it helps.

woutervanvliet
August 12th, 2009, 08:15 PM
http://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/12015-where-quickgpsfixes-2.html#post74611

That should still work...I used it once or twice, but now I just update it at work so I can use Home.

Now that's a start! Thanks! Now it's just a matter of writing whatever that does into a simple shell script and I can update QuickGPSFix without Home.

No luck doing something similar with the POI and - in particular - Map & MapShare updates?

Perhaps I'll just do some network-sniffing around.

CJ Master
August 12th, 2009, 08:29 PM
You got the source code, correct? It uses XULRunner that's cross platform, correct? Why not port it yourself?

t0p
August 12th, 2009, 09:18 PM
What is really galling about this is that many of their units use open source software to run (they publish it under the GPL). If you take advantage of the open source community you should feel an obligation to give back.

Yeah right! LOL!

I've signed the petition as well. It is the only reason why I'm forced to keep a dual boot system, and I know lots of people that won't convert to Linux/Ubuntu because of this.

Really? And how many people is "lots of people"?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing you of lying. I'm just curious how many people there are out there who refuse to use Linux because of their TomTom...

t0p
August 12th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Online petitions don't really work IMO. The better solution is to have people e-mail them with complaints. Also get some big tech news site to complain about it helps.

+1. Politicians and the like may be swayed by petitions. But a company? I think not.

Also, bear in mind that TomTom probably have a good idea as to the size of the Linux userbase. I expect they decided that it's just not worth the effort.

Still, there's nothing stopping a third party from knocking up some software for this, is there? Maybe that would be a better way to expend your energy, rather than messing round with petitions?

phrostbyte
August 12th, 2009, 09:27 PM
+1. Politicians and the like may be swayed by petitions. But a company? I think not.

Also, bear in mind that TomTom probably have a good idea as to the size of the Linux userbase. I expect they decided that it's just not worth the effort.

Still, there's nothing stopping a third party from knocking up some software for this, is there? Maybe that would be a better way to expend your energy, rather than messing round with petitions?

I think complaining works, just not petitions. I've seen it work in the past, with ATI, Adobe and what not.

woutervanvliet
August 12th, 2009, 09:56 PM
You got the source code, correct? It uses XULRunner that's cross platform, correct? Why not port it yourself?

Indeed - why not. Well, there's time for one thing. But when I have a few hours I might just dive into it. I'll have to learn C/C++ but it could be a good lead for me to start on that process as well.

newbie2
August 17th, 2009, 04:06 PM
You are not alone : http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/124264/index.html
](*,)

OPENTOM should have more 'hackers' : http://www.opentom.org/Main_Page

hunterkasy
January 11th, 2010, 12:17 AM
I signed the petition: #1315I do beleave petitions do work, as long as you can get a large list, also if you can get the same people who are sighing to send out emails also, and trying to the some sort of media to cover TT not covering Linx.

sudoer541
January 11th, 2010, 12:27 AM
So I got tired of going back and forth with TomTom (e-mails & phone calls) asking them to support their Linux customers who use the TomTom Home software.

I've just created an online petition and I'm seeking all Ubuntu users who actually use the TomTom Home software to kindly sign it.

Since TomTom refuses to support it at this time, perhaps we can nudge them into thinking twice about their position.

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/tomlinux/

Please spread the word. If you come across any Ubuntu or TomTom/GPS websites, please post the link above. I believe if the demand is visible, TomTom will come around.

Until then, I'll be singing the blues...:guitar:
petitions are useless and you know it! why are you wasting our valuable time?

KiwiNZ
January 11th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Return on investment will motivate them to spend the money to port the software not a petition.

YMS_1975
January 11th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Return on investment will motivate them to spend the money to port the software not a petition.

You're right (I stated this in an earlier post).

But I'd rather start the petition than just cross my fingers and hope that someone somewhere feels it's a feasible solution to make TomTom's work on Linux.

But I'm quite certain they won't budge. Either way, the petition can't hurt. :D

YMS_1975
January 11th, 2010, 12:56 AM
petitions are useless and you know it! why are you wasting our valuable time?

If your time is so valuable, why bother replying to this thread?

Why not ignore it altogether?

alexfish
January 11th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Hi

Interesting notations

but are there any alternatives to TomTom other than a petition ; esp where Microsoft are involved ;

QwUo173Hy
January 11th, 2010, 02:20 AM
I think it's a worthwhile effort and if I had a TomTom product, I'd sign it. How are TomTom to know that the signees actually own their product, and it's not just Ubuntu enthusiasts signing the petition?

Maybe putting the serial# for your copy of the software might be more influential for them when / if they look at it. Just a suggestion.

Warpnow
January 11th, 2010, 03:57 AM

However a petition may change their mind as to the possible returns.

emarkay
February 22nd, 2010, 11:04 PM
Done - I can read maps, but my GF has one and I find this so 1990!

YMS_1975
February 23rd, 2010, 11:54 PM
I'll never understand why the trolls always complain about certain threads being a waste of time, bring nothing to the table (in terms of suggestions or ideas), but then...take the time to post. If it's such a waste of time, you'd think they'd move on with better things to do.

:confused:

QwUo173Hy
February 24th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I'll never understand why the trolls always complain about certain threads being a waste of time, bring nothing to the table (in terms of suggestions or ideas), but then...take the time to post. If it's such a waste of time, you'd think they'd move on with better things to do.

:confused:

Excellently put.

anilmani
March 19th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Yes, We need a TomTom Home Linux version. Signed. Keeping the fingers crossed. For the time being will check Wine. TTH is the only one present to make me boot windows. :rolleyes:

asharpham
April 2nd, 2010, 06:30 AM
I have a problem that hasn't been mentioned in the thread so far. I installed virtualbox so i could run TomTomHome in Win XP. I also needed it to run my Creative Zen browser as I can't find anything that will successfully interface with that either.

So I have Windows XP Pro installed in virtualbox just so I can run 2 programs. The Creative Zen software works fine. But TomTom Home won't install. And on the basis of all I have just read, it's no use contacting TomTom as they'll just use their standard reply (as I have received in the past when asking them about linux support).

I definitely won't be replacing my TomTom with another TomTom! Anyone else had an experience with virtualbox and TomTomHome?

Russ.pinkslippa
July 8th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I've signed too!

i think that you never know they might actually care and do something about it once they see the signatures increase.

But also as the numbers increase more and more people will know and understand why TT won't release linux software so i don't think at the end of the day that they'll have a choice but release software if they want to keep their customers.

YMS_1975
March 17th, 2011, 04:43 AM
I received an e-mail from TomTom asking about my satisfaction with their product.

Anyways....I gave them an enough reading about my discontent about the lack of support for Linux. Just thought I'd remind all the Linux TomTom HOME users that if you got the same e-mail, please plug the petition website : http://www.petitiononline.com/tomlinux/petition.html

Hopefully they'll get enough feedback to maybe consider looking into Linux. :)
It was one heck of a long survey though.

nathan58
March 18th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I am agree with you. probably won't.
But unless you're willing to do something, you've got no right to complain.
:)

rojanu
April 8th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Hi all,

I have signed the petition and sent the following email

I have been using TomTom products for some years now and had had to rely on friends computers to get my devices updated as I don't have Windows nor Mac OSs in our household and I don't see that I will be getting any of those OSs for the sake of updating my TomTom devices as I can do anything I need with my Ubuntu Linux system.

Secondly, I find it very hard to understand for a product to make use of cross-platform product (Xulrunner) and not provide the support the product provides.

Regards
and here is their reply

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support. My name is Penelope and we are always happy to help.

The reference number for your query is 110408-003028.

I understand that you are unable to use your TomTom HOME with Linux OS.

Please be assured that I will provide you with the accurate information regarding your query.

I regret to inform you that Linux OS is not yet compatible with TomTom HOME.

We are working on this and hope to resolve this compatibility issue soon.

Unfortunately we do not have a estimated time for this.

Thank you for the feedback.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will be happy to help.

Thank you for your valuable time and for giving me an opportunity to assist you.

With Kind Regards,

Penelope S

cheesekiller
April 15th, 2011, 08:10 AM
signed and i hope they stop mooching off linux by not supplying back to the place they took the kernal from.... kinda gay if you ask me..... if they did add support i would have about 5 tom toms to buy. too bad tho guess someone else gets my money

Edit:
I had previously asked tomtom about support for ubuntu and they deleted my question....... so I sent another question and it goes a little something like this:

ok earlier yesterday I asked if you had support of ubuntu linux in a question thing. I did researching and found out that "while you use linux you don't support it" now I understand that you have to make a profit and don't see linux as profitable even though I'm sure that this many signatures would more then pay for development for the software:

http://www.petitiononline.com/tomlinux/

However instead of deleting my question (which you did because I looked in my questions and now its gone) couldn't you have just been nice enough to send me a simple no we don't support ubuntu?
I mean yea I'm sure you get this all the time because I saw HUNDREDS of people on HUNDREDS of forums (a quick google search will prove me right) asking about it, but did you really have to delete my question? I wasn't rude, infact I don't think I'm being rude right now. So now my question changes from do you support to why did you delete my question? do you just have a bot that deletes anything that says "linux"? I'll be sure to reply and remove that word with "penguin based operating systems" in a few days if this gets deleted. Thanks again for not selling me those 5 tomtoms because you don't support my OS btw. ttyl :)

P.S. I just picked a random device under the car navigation because obviously I haven't bought a device yet because well yea I don't like to waste my money.... no I'm not angry about you not supporting my OS, I'm angry about my question being deleted! and btw question deleteing isn't OS based so please don't discriminate on me there.