PDA

View Full Version : Get a copy of UNIX?

Achetar
December 22nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
Does anyone know if a copy of UNIX is attainable for free or for a small amount of money? Like HP or AT&T UNIX? I want to play around with it some.

billgoldberg
December 22nd, 2008, 04:33 PM
Try freebsd.

Achetar
December 22nd, 2008, 04:39 PM
What I intended was an actual copy of UNIX, BSD isn't UNIX (is it? if it is I will try asap). This whole thing is just because I am on christmas break and wanted to try something new.

Kvark
December 22nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
While Linux was written from scratch BSD is based on AT&T Unix and Solaris is based on System V so those 2 are direct descendants of Unix. Solaris and Mac OSX are offically certified as Unix and BSD would probably pass the certification if they could and would pay for it.

billgoldberg
December 22nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
BSD is unix, so is OSX by the way.

kavon89
December 22nd, 2008, 04:53 PM
What I intended was an actual copy of UNIX, BSD isn't UNIX (is it? if it is I will try asap). This whole thing is just because I am on christmas break and wanted to try something new.

BSD qualifies as unix-like and probably follows UNIX more closely than Linux.

If you want some "true" UNIX operating system, check out the ones listed here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification) and see if you can get a download that works with your system.

Rocket2DMn
December 22nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
BSD is a UNIX-like platform (used to be considered a UNIX derivative/variant). You may be interested in OpenSolaris (http://opensolaris.org/os/) which is a free and open source implementation of Sun Solaris. It's a relatively young project.
HP-UX, AIX, and Solaris are not freely available.

Achetar
December 22nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
TYVM. I will try freebsd and see how it goes

Thelasko
December 22nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
Just plain Unix is pretty much dead. Everything on the market at the moment are forks of the original Unix. Here's a nice Unix family tree (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Unix_history-simple.svg) to help you on your journey.

compiledkernel
December 22nd, 2008, 06:26 PM
Surprised no one tossed this in but, OpenSolaris is still based on SystemV.

So in essence its free for use and still Unix.

Rocket2DMn
December 22nd, 2008, 06:54 PM
Surprised no one tossed this in but, OpenSolaris is still based on SystemV.

So in essence its free for use and still Unix.

I did, in post 7 :guitar:

Twitch6000
December 22nd, 2008, 06:56 PM
BSD is probably the closest you will get to a Unix Os.

Rocket2DMn
December 22nd, 2008, 07:06 PM
BSD is probably the closest you will get to a Unix Os.

Actually, not really. When most people think of UNIX, they are referring to the SysV implementation which is derived from the System III version. HP-UX, AIX, Sun Solaris all derive from SysV. While BSD shares a heritage with "UNIX," it branched off higher up in the history of UNIX like operating systems. OpenSolaris is the most directly related to "UNIX" as the term is used today, since it derives from Sun Solaris.
BSD is a step closer to "UNIX" than Linux is (Linux doesn't draw a direct history line to a Unix variant, it was created as an independent project).