PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dvds won't play

jalehtor
December 22nd, 2008, 07:41 AM
Having no luck playing dvds on Totem/Intrepid. Installed libdvdread3 package and libdvdcss2 library. I used the instructions on this forum, and the Medibuntu rep. I put a dvd in, turn on Totem, the player on the computer makes some sounds then quiets down, and the play button on Totem does not wake up. Do I need to do something to activate Totem? I'm sure I'm missing something :confused:

SlidingHorn
December 22nd, 2008, 07:44 AM
Having no luck playing dvds on Totem/Intrepid. Installed libdvdread3 package and libdvdcss2 library. I used the instructions on this forum, and the Medibuntu rep. I put a dvd in, turn on Totem, the player on the computer makes some sounds then quiets down, and the play button on Totem does not wake up. Do I need to do something to activate Totem? I'm sure I'm missing something :confused:

do you have the restricted extras installed?

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

igknighted
December 22nd, 2008, 07:46 AM

Totem can be flaky... I would try using VLC (sudo apt-get install vlc) or mplayer (sudo apt-get install gnome-mplayer). You can also make totem use the xine backend instead (sudo apt-get remove totem-gstreamer && sudo apt-get install totem-xine)

jalehtor
December 22nd, 2008, 08:12 AM
do you have the restricted extras installed?

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

I'm in the process of doing that. The problem is that I'm now frozen on Configuring sun-java6-jre. It wants me to read and OK the agreement, but when I press enter nothing happens. How do I OK this so that it keeps reloading? I am embarrassed to be asking this question :(

igknighted
December 22nd, 2008, 08:13 AM
I'm in the process of doing that. The problem is that I'm now frozen on Configuring sun-java6-jre. It wants me to read and OK the agreement, but when I press enter nothing happens. How do I OK this so that it keeps reloading? I am embarrassed to be asking this question :(

Tab key lets you select the button, then enter to click it.

jalehtor
December 22nd, 2008, 08:16 AM
Tab key lets you select the button, then enter to click it.

Thank you! It finished downloading, but still no dvd, either on totem or vlc. On vlc I get this message:
Playback failure:
DVDRead could not open the disk "/dev/dvd".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'. Check the log for details.

er...this is very, very embarrassing...is it possible that I wouldn't notice the fact that I don't have a dvd player installed on my swap shop computer...yes it is. I missed something as obvious as that. Can we forget the existence of this shameful thread, please? On the plus side...there is no plus side to this.

bumanie
December 22nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
Go to the medibuntu site and follow the instructions re installing multi-media codecs - it's basically copy and paste into terminal, hitting enter between each command. Look here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu). Don't forget the pgp key.