PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] openoffice 3.0

Andrew79
December 22nd, 2008, 05:38 AM
Okay, so I have been trying all sorts of different suggestions that I have searched the posts and got. I bought the magazine with the disk. Yet I still can not get OOo3.0 to load. I still have 2.4, what else can anybody suggest?

SunnyRabbiera
December 22nd, 2008, 05:40 AM
Personally I would stick to OO2 as right now OO3 is still fresh and doesnt really offer much over oo2, unless you want .docx support.

73ckn797
December 22nd, 2008, 05:43 AM
Okay, so I have been trying all sorts of different suggestions that I have searched the posts and got. I bought the magazine with the disk. Yet I still can not get OOo3.0 to load. I still have 2.4, what else can anybody suggest?

Did you try this:

I have installed OO 3.0 on my desk and laptops with Intrepid. Everything was effortless and is running great.

I completely removed all OO related installs through Synaptic.

Downloaded the file (OOo_3.0.0_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz) from Openoffice.org

Created a directory in /home/name/whatever.

Extracted files using File Roller (default Gnome compression utility) to the created directory.

Went to terminal and "cd" to new directory (example: /home/name/OO3/DEBS) then entered "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" The "DEBS" sub-directory is created when extracting. This installs the program.

Then changed to the other sub-directory created during extract (~/DEBS/desktop-integration) and repeated command "sudo dpkg -i *.deb". This creates the menu choices.

Started OO 3.0 and it works like a charm for me.

The desktop icon created using menu right click was read only but right click, properties allows changing that so I could rename the shortcut icon.

evilkastel
December 22nd, 2008, 05:46 AM
thats true. still i could not wait. so first go to synaptic and uninstall everything, everything thas is related to openoffice 2.4. the language packs and thesaurus can be left. download the debs from www.openoffice.org. run, then

sudo dpkg -i /this/isthe/uncompressed/folder/withthe.deb && sudo apt-get install -f
EDIT: i believe that if you do not run apt-get in the commmand the package gets sort of half installed
you have then to install the desktop integration deb inside a separate folder inside the OO debs folder.

woaiwojia
December 22nd, 2008, 06:38 AM
add the following to your sources.list

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ubuntu hardy main

then open the terminal

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Andrew79
December 22nd, 2008, 06:44 AM
I am not sure what your saying sources? I just downloaded from the website for 45 minutes, plus have a CD, why do I need to keep going other places? I have been to the launchpad site, and have no clue what I am supposed to even do there. Could some one very kindly in plain language explain this a little more?
Sorry for this, but I have been fighting with the dang thing for 3 days now, and all I have managed to do is unistall and the re-install 2.4 3 times.

jimrz
December 22nd, 2008, 07:03 AM
I am not sure what your saying sources? I just downloaded from the website for 45 minutes, plus have a CD, why do I need to keep going other places? I have been to the launchpad site, and have no clue what I am supposed to even do there. Could some one very kindly in plain language explain this a little more?
Sorry for this, but I have been fighting with the dang thing for 3 days now, and all I have managed to do is unistall and the re-install 2.4 3 times.

try following this how-to (http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-To-Install-OpenOffice-org-3-0-in-Ubuntu-8-10-96449.shtml#) it is simple and worked for me with both hardy and intrepid (if you are running intrepid, just copy from the site as is but, if using hardy you will need to replace "intrepid" with "hardy" when you paste the instruction into your software sources.

anim
December 22nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
The reason that you need to download the Ubuntu version from the PPA is that Ubuntu requires a few hacks to oo.org 3.0 before it works. The package downloaded from the openoffice.org website did not work for me either but following the guide posted above by jimrz did work.

Andrew79
December 22nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
Thank You. I believe this helped, it looks like it is updating and installing right now. I will post this solved if it worked, with in the next few minutes

raymondvillain
December 25th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Hello 73ckn797;

I am trying to install OO.org 3.0 and your comments on how to do this included the phrase "Extracted files using File Roller (default Gnome compression utility)..."

What exactly is File Roller? I have Intrepid on a desktop. When I use the bulit in gui file browser I can click on a file and extract it using the options that pop up with a right click. Is that the same thing? Or is File Roller a separate utility?

Many thanks, and happy holidays.

abn91c
December 25th, 2008, 06:20 PM
before you go "hacking", installing/removing from random websites use this guide from Softpedia, it is the most reliable, I used it in 3 different computers and it installed fine
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-To-Install-OpenOffice-org-3-0-in-Ubuntu-8-10-96449.shtml

Only giltch will be if you use Kubuntu, hem you will have to remove this file openoffice.org-kde

raymondvillain
December 25th, 2008, 10:09 PM
How do you start up OO3 after doing the install? I followed your instructions to the letter, but I have no desktop icon.

abn91c
December 26th, 2008, 12:46 AM
How do you start up OO3 after doing the install? I followed your instructions to the letter, but I have no desktop icon.
you have to add them from the office menu, by default OO3 does not put them in the desktop. In the applications>office menu right click on the icon then select add to desktop

73ckn797
December 26th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Hello 73ckn797;

I am trying to install OO.org 3.0 and your comments on how to do this included the phrase "Extracted files using File Roller (default Gnome compression utility)..."

What exactly is File Roller? I have Intrepid on a desktop. When I use the bulit in gui file browser I can click on a file and extract it using the options that pop up with a right click. Is that the same thing? Or is File Roller a separate utility?

Many thanks, and happy holidays.

File roller is the default compression utility in Ubuntu. When you double click on any compressed file, it is the program that allows you to view the compressed contents of the file. From there you can extract the files to either the default folder that the compressed file has been saved to do/create or designate your own folder. The extraction will still create the directories (DEBS and desktop-integration within a coded like folder name) I mention in my directions.

Does that help?

Norm24
December 26th, 2008, 12:54 AM
This will work for installing 3.0

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-To-Install-OpenOffice-org-3-0-in-Ubuntu-8-10-96449.shtml

Never mind.

Didn't see the previous post suggesting this.

73ckn797
December 26th, 2008, 12:54 AM

If you have followed the instructions I provided, a desktop icon will be created during the second install command I list from within the "desktop-integration" sub-folder.

EDIT: The desktop icon may not appear until going to Applications/Office/OpenOffice.org 3.0 Writer and right clicking to add to desktop or panel. Then my icon comments in the instructions would apply.