PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation T61 - Driver Problems

Trentor
December 22nd, 2008, 02:07 AM
Hello, I have installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my Thinkpad t61 laptop.

The installation went smoothly, no bumps or bruises along the way. I am only having one major problem. I am trying to enable Extra visual effects but whenever I try to I get the message "Enable Driver?" and it explains to me how I need to install not open drivers. I have tried to install the version 177 and 173 drivers for my Nvidia card but they do not solve the problem.

Whenever I try to install the drivers it pops up a smaller box and then shows 0% and then closes.

At first I thought that it was because I was not connected to the internet so I tried connecting to the internet, and tried again once I got connected to my wireless router but the problem still occurs.

If there are any details I missed please let me know. :P

Trentor

Pumalite
December 22nd, 2008, 02:17 AM
You need to be wired to the Internet or at least have a firm connection to your wireless router.
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Ubuntu_7.10_(Gutsy_Gibbon)_on_a_ThinkPa d_T61#Accelerated_Video_and_Desktop_Effects

Trentor
December 22nd, 2008, 05:42 AM
Ok, I went to the weblink that you provided, and it has helped me a little. I realize that I know I will have to install the program Envy in order for this to work, as I tried it again with a wired connection and it still has the same problem.

However, when I try to install Envy I get the following error:

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: build-essential

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact that Envy is meant for Ubuntu 7.10 and I am running 8.10

I'm sorry if error message is something common/unrelated, but I am new to Linux.

I'm not sure if this makes the installation any different, but I did install Ubuntu inside of windows (nor virtual machine, but the option in the installer).

Thanks, Trentor :P

Trentor
December 22nd, 2008, 06:09 AM
Nevermind, it took some fixing, but I managed to get EnvyNG working.

I have no idea why it does not appear in my applications pull down menu but as long as it works I am ok with it.

Thanks, go Linux!

Trentor :P

Partyboi2
December 22nd, 2008, 06:10 AM
Hi,
You need to install the build-essential package which you can do by opening a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and typing

sudo apt-get install build-essential
then after it is installed try install envy again.