PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Upper & lower cases reversed

MoebusNet
December 21st, 2008, 11:09 PM
Searching the Forum, I only found one reference to this issue:

Question #41970, asked on 2008-08-12 by john

which was marked "Solved" by rebooting.

However, this has happened to me 4 times now in 2 days. It always occurs when I'm typing in Open Office Writer. The Open Office Forum suggested that since "Ubuntu heavily modifies Open Office" that I should inquire here for a solution.

What happens to me is at some point working in Writer, my upper and lower cases switch. If I use "Caps Lock", then everything works normally. This behavior carries over into other applications such as this forum.

I am running Ubuntu 8.04.1 with all updates on a Dell D800 notebook.

If I close out OO and reboot, all is back to normal until next time, which only seems to take about 10 minutes working in OO.

I was advised to try "Ctrl+Caps Lock" on the OO Forum; no joy. I also tried the commands in Terminal to reset the "Caps Lock" key as suggested in #41970 above. Didn't help either.

I would welcome any advice to cure this. TIA.

EDIT - After working in OO Writer for 2 hours, my reversed upper & lower case letters are suddenly correct again. Whatever is causing this is flip-flopping back and forth apparently. Same for this forum and my "Caps Lock" icon. Something wonky going on, no doubt.

john.nicholls
December 22nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
Could you try another keyboard?

MoebusNet
December 31st, 2008, 04:36 PM
Sorry I took so long to reply; Christmas has been a busy time for all of us, I'm sure. I don't have a USB keyboard to try with my Dell D800 notebook which is the hardware I'm using.

There are some Open Office updates in the last week and I'm not doing any work in OO, so I'm going to mark this solved unless/until this problem reappears.

Thanks for the reply! :)