PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember ProLine?

almigi
December 21st, 2008, 07:23 PM
For those that do remember, wasn't that a neat piece of software?

For those that don't... allow me to explain...

Back in the 80's and early 90's, before the dominance of the Internet, we had local BBSs (we still do to an extent, but they are nowhere near as popular as they were back then).

Of course, to run a BBS, you just needed a computer, modem with a dedicated phone line, and BBS Software.

ProLine was a BBS program for Apple II computers, that basically simulated a public access Unix system. It had basic email, a UseNet newsreader, and a pretty cool fake C-Shell.

I used to run a ProLine BBS, and even though it's been almost 15 years since I took it down (the computer it ran on died), I always thought it was neat piece of software. I was wondering if any of my fellow Linux users ever experienced this program in their younger days...

- Al

billgoldberg
December 21st, 2008, 08:17 PM
For those that do remember, wasn't that a neat piece of software?

For those that don't... allow me to explain...

Back in the 80's and early 90's, before the dominance of the Internet, we had local BBSs (we still do to an extent, but they are nowhere near as popular as they were back then).

Of course, to run a BBS, you just needed a computer, modem with a dedicated phone line, and BBS Software.

ProLine was a BBS program for Apple II computers, that basically simulated a public access Unix system. It had basic email, a UseNet newsreader, and a pretty cool fake C-Shell.

I used to run a ProLine BBS, and even though it's been almost 15 years since I took it down (the computer it ran on died), I always thought it was neat piece of software. I was wondering if any of my fellow Linux users ever experienced this program in their younger days...

- Al

15 years ago I was 7.

helliewm
December 21st, 2008, 08:35 PM
Yes we it used at work! I remember! No I am not that old 42 so not geriatric yet.

MikeTheC
December 21st, 2008, 09:55 PM
I remember hearing of it, but man, that's waaaaaaaaay back yonder.