PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of mythtv recording icons (scissors, toilet roll etc)

ub40d
December 21st, 2008, 12:34 PM
I had long been puzzled by some of the per-recording icons that appear at the bottom of the "watch recordings" selection screen. I google-searched the manuals and the forums and could not find much, except for this 2003 thread...
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/35786
...giving the meaning for five of them:

dollar sign with circle/slash through it = commercials flagged
scissors = cutlist exists
gravestone with "RIP" = autoexpire set for this recording
hammer = show is being processed (commercial flagging or editing)
open book = bookmark exists on this recording

But this still didn't explain several others I saw, including the mysterious toilet roll. I was about to post a query when I discovered the solution:

1) this is one of the few items in mythtv for which F1 brings up a help page! do that, and every icon is listed with a comment.

2) the icons change by theme, so the toilet roll (in the theme I was using) is what is described above as "dollar sign with circle/slash through it", and in another theme appears as a red flag. It means that commercials have been flagged.

I hope this tiny nugget of information will be useful to someone. I sure would have liked to find it when googling!

BTW does anyone know what the technical difference is between the three flavours of subtitle icons?
icon 2 - recording is closed captioned
icon 5 - recording is subtitled
icon 14 - recording has subtitles available

(numbers of icons refer to their position in the above-mentioned help page)

ranjo
December 27th, 2008, 12:41 PM
When in the recordings window, press m (menu), and then choose "Help (status icons)". It displays all meanings of icons. This helped a lot for me, hopefully for you as well.

EuroDollar
February 19th, 2009, 08:39 PM
BTW does anyone know what the technical difference is between the three flavours of subtitle icons?
icon 2 - recording is closed captioned
icon 5 - recording is subtitled
icon 14 - recording has subtitles available

Close Caption: a real-time system, mainly meant for assistance to the hearing impaired. It will display dialogue but also indicate environmental sounds (e.g. [Car Honks] or [Loud music playing]). The display device has to be CC capable in order to display it.

Subtitles: A continuous display of text, usually a translated narration of the dialogue at the bottom of the screen. Used as an alternative to dubbing. Subtitles cannot be turned off unless the option is coded into the subtitle track. In that case I assume you would see icon 14.

newlinux
February 19th, 2009, 09:24 PM
jas as an fyi...

When in the watch recordings screen, press the number "1" on your remote. This is a shortcut for those not using a keyboard to get the same legend.