PDA

View Full Version : Could Mandriva be switching to GNOME?

Lovechild
December 10th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Recently one of the Mandriva hackers posted on his blog that they will be releasing a new mandriva for the club members (I happen to be one), this will have gnome 2.12 as the default environment - now mandriva have coded their own stuff using gtk2 for quite some time now, but they have always been a KDE stronghold, are things about to change?

http://twinpeaks.dyndns.org/blog/general/2005/12/10/delicious-christmas-psp-x-hacker

Rackerz
December 10th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Suse i think went down this road. I doubt they will change, if it has a KDE stronghold they can't just take it away. It would be hard for a lot of users to handle.

KiwiNZ
December 10th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Suse originally announced that Gnome would become their default but later retracted that after responses from their user groups.

Could be Mandriva are testing the waters for user reaction .

Lovechild
December 10th, 2005, 09:09 PM
well more evidence towards this move would be that the newest release apparently uses nautilus instead of konqueror.

I'm happy to see more widespread GNOME use, I'm glad we are focusing on one standard desktop. I wish it was at the expense of Windows/OS X we were gaining users and not KDE though. But I guess all good things to those who wait, Windows users are next up.. Dapper will aid this I hope.

Lovechild
December 10th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Suse originally announced that Gnome would become their default but later retracted that after responses from their user groups.

Could be Mandriva are testing the waters for user reaction .

Well what Novell actually said was that SuSE Enterprise Linux and NLD would be default GNOME and all their internal development would be using those libraries, OpenSuSE would continue to support KDE and KDE would be present in all releases (at least for the forseeable future)

arctic
December 10th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Mandrivas default desktop will still be KDE. They have a one year release cycle and the Gnome 2.12 desktop packages are a special offer for club members only afaik as the request for 2.12 (vs. 2.10) with club members was so high.

KiwiNZ
December 10th, 2005, 09:30 PM
well more evidence towards this move would be that the newest release apparently uses nautilus instead of konqueror.

I'm happy to see more widespread GNOME use, I'm glad we are focusing on one standard desktop. I wish it was at the expense of Windows/OS X we were gaining users and not KDE though. But I guess all good things to those who wait, Windows users are next up.. Dapper will aid this I hope.

I would hate to see one standard desktop , choice choice wonderfull choice and the freedom to choose it

Lovechild
December 10th, 2005, 09:38 PM
I would hate to see one standard desktop , choice choice wonderfull choice and the freedom to choose it

I'm not against choice, there can be other desktops, there are many uses for this, I'm talking about one desktop platform as the default (you'd still be free to install fluxbox/KDE/etc.), this is wonderful for ISVs and it's good for new users (in that they don't get confused with many different distros presening different desktops).

This is about standardisation not eliminating choice, just like in Windows you are free to install Firefox.

Knomefan
December 10th, 2005, 09:56 PM
I'm not against choice, there can be other desktops, there are many uses for this, I'm talking about one desktop platform as the default (you'd still be free to install fluxbox/KDE/etc.), this is wonderful for ISVs and it's good for new users (in that they don't get confused with many different distros presening different desktops).

This is about standardisation not eliminating choice, just like in Windows you are free to install Firefox.
Isn't that what portland is supposed to address without the need for a common deskop?
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1896897,00.asp

And for some more interesting stuff in this area (gparts! yes!):
http://pvanhoof.be/blog/index.php/2005/12/08/78-gparts-and-a-shared-mainloop-will-it-happen

asimon
December 10th, 2005, 10:12 PM
This is how I read it. The biggest "feature" of the christmas edition is a newer version of Gnome. KDE users won't benefit from this christmas edition much, thus it makes sense to have Gnome the default desktop on the christmas edition. It's just a special edition of mandriva to offer people a newer gnome version. This is something different as changing the default desktop of Mandriva Linux, isn't?

Just as with Novell. They sayed that SLE and NLD were switching to GNOME as default, not SUSE Linux, but the news sites all got it wrong and now people think that SUSE is anti-kde or that they changed their minds later, etc.