PDA

View Full Version : Making the sed | egrep | cut | tr line smaller

PryGuy
December 21st, 2008, 09:35 AM
Good day, everyone!
I'm about to make a program that would record interface traffic statistics. I get data from /proc/net/dev. The line that does it seems awkward to me, any suggestions how to make it smaller?

#!/bin/bash

iface=eth0

# That's what we get before we take the lines we want out of it
#cat /proc/net/dev | egrep "($iface)" | sed -e 's/|/:/' | sed -e 's/|/ /' | cut -d ":" -f 2 | tr -s " " " " | sed -e 's/^[ \t]*//' | sed 's/\([^ ]*[^ ]*[^ ]*\)/&\n/g' | sed -e 's/^[ \t]*//'

function getinfo()
{
bytes=`cat /proc/net/dev | egrep "($iface)" | sed -e 's/|/:/' | sed -e 's/|/ /' | cut -d ":" -f 2 | tr -s " " " " | sed -e 's/^[ \t]*//' | sed 's/\([^ ]*[^ ]*[^ ]*\)/&\n/g' | sed -e 's/^[ \t]*//' | sed -n $1p`
}

getinfo 1
sent=$bytes
getinfo 9
rcv=$bytes

echo "sent: "$sent" bytes"
echo "received: "$rcv" bytes"

sleep 10

exit 0Thank you in advance!

ghostdog74
December 21st, 2008, 10:13 AM
too many pipes. Makes your code slow, and ugly. Use awk.

awk 'BEGIN{ FS="[:]| +"}
/eth0:/{
print "bytes sent: ",$3
print "bytes recv: ",$11
}' /proc/net/dev

PryGuy
December 21st, 2008, 10:38 AM
Thaaank you! I would thank you twice if I could! But, there's one thing that worries me, that's a bug possibly, the /proc/net/dev file is generated a bit different from boot to boot (that's how I explain it), so the values can move one position, that's why I remove whitespaces twice.
Your code worked for me when I made these corrections but it's unpredictable what position the values will be on next boot:

awk 'BEGIN{ FS="[:]| +"}
/ath0:/{
print "bytes sent: ",$4
print "bytes recv: ",$12
}' /proc/net/dev

ghostdog74
December 21st, 2008, 10:46 AM
you might want to try using netstat instead. read the man page of netstat. It can show you statistics as well, with options to format your output as needed.