PDA

View Full Version : expressing myself (no trolling)

gigaferz
December 21st, 2008, 09:00 AM
i still cant believe the performance of my computer!!!

I have instead of a cube a triangle, running mame32 plus plus, with sf3 3rd strike, then a movie, then firefox with 15 tabs and flash running, and my cpu average load is 20% and my ram wich is only 2 gb is running @ ~ 700 mb, and the computer is like a sleeping baby!!!!

the only downside is my sound configuration , i can only have 1 thing running with sound everything else cant hear but anyways, is so awesome.

Ughh, on the other side i click in my pictures folder in vista and the hard drive goes crazy, and takes a few seconds,then, when i click on games, again, hic ups and some freezing... and all those services and processes loggin and indexing that you cant control, , anyways is only for the games... hopefully vista wont fry my hd whit all the intense writing

dannytatom
December 21st, 2008, 09:02 AM
Processor & Video card? :O

handy
December 21st, 2008, 09:53 AM
I have recently seen information on how-to get multiple sound sources playing under Linux. I can't remember where it was. When it comes to me I'll post a link for you.

Eisenwinter
December 21st, 2008, 10:25 AM
If you use ALSA, then it's an ALSA bug, and there's a work around for that.

I use ALSA, but fortunately it doesn't affect me, because I have an EMU 1212m sound card, which has mixing capabilities by itself.

handy
December 21st, 2008, 10:33 AM
Here is a link to the page I was trying to remember:

Allow multiple programs to play sound at once (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Allow_multiple_programs_to_play_sound_at_once)

meborc
December 21st, 2008, 10:47 AM
for fixing sound use this forum thread... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578 - it fixed all my problems :)

gigaferz
December 21st, 2008, 05:00 PM
wow, thank you all!!!
I just bought some parts @ tigerdirect. Inspired by zdnet and maximumpc,

nvidia geforce 9600gt
Intel Q6600
xfx nforce 630i 7100 mobo
hard drive ,fan and case.

adding that plus my old gear I got me a new pc,

The sound problem ive had it since dapper, but anyways beats the fACT of Scanning for malware every other day with 4 different programs.

Also, Anyone has seen the new version of vlc??? It has improved a lot i wonder when are we going to see dat in ubuntu.

handy
December 22nd, 2008, 01:08 AM
wow, thank you all!!!
I just bought some parts @ tigerdirect. Inspired by zdnet and maximumpc,

nvidia geforce 9600gt
Intel Q6600
xfx nforce 630i 7100 mobo
hard drive ,fan and case.

adding that plus my old gear I got me a new pc,

The sound problem ive had it since dapper, but anyways beats the fACT of Scanning for malware every other day with 4 different programs.

Also, Anyone has seen the new version of vlc??? It has improved a lot i wonder when are we going to see dat in ubuntu.

You would be well advised to buy a soundcard with the appropriate mixing qualities built in so you can easily be rid of your inability to play simultaneously from multiple sound sources.

Such a card will not cost you very much.

grazed
December 22nd, 2008, 01:29 AM
i still cant believe the performance of my computer!!!

I have instead of a cube a triangle, running mame32 plus plus, with sf3 3rd strike, then a movie, then firefox with 15 tabs and flash running, and my cpu average load is 20% and my ram wich is only 2 gb is running @ ~ 700 mb, and the computer is like a sleeping baby!!!!

the only downside is my sound configuration , i can only have 1 thing running with sound everything else cant hear but anyways, is so awesome.

Ughh, on the other side i click in my pictures folder in vista and the hard drive goes crazy, and takes a few seconds,then, when i click on games, again, hic ups and some freezing... and all those services and processes loggin and indexing that you cant control, , anyways is only for the games... hopefully vista wont fry my hd whit all the intense writing

no offense, but i don't understand why exactly you're impressed.

firefox tabs just take up ram, no real cpu cycles. a SD movie takes up next to nil on any somewhat modern computer. and a paused mame game?

my laptop with a single core turion could get away with less than 20% cpu with that.

gigaferz
December 22nd, 2008, 04:30 AM
well, im comparing vs vista. My Vista experience is rally annoying.I can tell ms is not focused on performance but it does need lot of resources, for a crappy experience.

but gta 4 and cod 4 & 5 are so awesome.

Are you people ready for windows 7???

Even if you dont want it as usual it will be preinstalled in your next computer, wheter you like it or not, No choice.

(im talking to you, i mean everybody, yes you all , mua ha ha ha, ha ha, (evil ms laughter))

zmjjmz
December 22nd, 2008, 05:19 AM
well, im comparing vs vista. My Vista experience is rally annoying.I can tell ms is not focused on performance but it does need lot of resources, for a crappy experience.

Even if you dont want it as usual it will be preinstalled in your next computer, wheter you like it or not, No choice.

(im talking to you, i mean everybody, yes you all , mua ha ha ha, ha ha, (evil ms laughter))
My next computer will be bought with Ubuntu pre-installed. Saves me the hassle of installing it.

And I would build a decent gaming machine to play Windows specific games. Seems like a sweet machine can be had for under 1000$ these days (what with DDR3 and the Core i7 obsoleting everything else)

BWF89
December 22nd, 2008, 05:35 AM
Here is a link to the page I was trying to remember:

Allow multiple programs to play sound at once (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Allow_multiple_programs_to_play_sound_at_once)
Thanks for posting that, I'm going to check it out right now. Because when one of my friends and I play Nexuiz online we like to have Skype open in the background so that we can talk and play at the same time. It doesn't bother me too much that I don't get to hear the sound effects. But it would be nice to be able to play and at least have the game's sound effects on low.

EDIT: That howto worked in letting me use some sound sources at the same time. I tested it out by having a YouTube video and an mp3 file in VLC player running at the same time. But when I went into Nexuiz and tried to talk to one of my friends in Skype and play the game the it froze up when I tried to apply the sound settings. So I ended up deleting my additions to the configuration file the howto told me to edit.

handy
December 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

I have not used the info' on that page, as I have no need for it.

Perhaps someone will refine it further, maybe various soundcards are more suitable than others?

Dunno...

grazed
December 22nd, 2008, 12:08 PM

i'm ready for windows 7. =P

i love ubuntu, but for gaming and FL studio, i need to dual-boot windows. i've played around with the beta builds, and so far windows 7 seems to be a gigantic step in the right direction. the bloat was cut massively down, the interface is more intuitive, and everything seems more integrated.

handy
December 22nd, 2008, 12:18 PM

I build my own computers up, unless I buy Apple, which I won't do again. So I can continue to avoid having that monopolies clutches on my computer.

Hey, you were the one that said (no trolling) in the thread title. ;-)

gigaferz
December 23rd, 2008, 11:27 AM
sorry, :P

too much zdnet,

but win 7 reminds me of kde.

zmjjmz:
for me to spend 1000 on hardware just for gaming is alot. i got the pc parts by accident, see u know i have no credit so i just tried it, then the next page said Congratulations your credit has been approved thank you for your order, so thats why i have a new pc. stillpaying it, lol

But yes you do have a point the new intel processors are da bomb. actually the entry level one is abround 200, but the mobos are kinda expensive still, ill wait for one around 70