PDA

View Full Version : Musical Preferences for gaming, coding, walking, etc.

thenocturnalhoodie
December 21st, 2008, 07:25 AM
[This thread doesn't seem to exist anywhere I checked. Hope I'm not repeating]

So I've recently taken to making different playlists and soundtracks for various activities of mine.

I've got a nerdcore hip hop playlist (go look it up. google Rhymetorrents) for when I'm working on my computers, whether I'm building 'em, or doing some coding. It provides some humor for times when I run into trouble, and good motivation for the job at hand.

I've got a hardcore playlist I use, with bands like The Fall of Troy, for whenever I'm playing games (generally I'll play it if I'm playing shooters). It makes the experience just that much more intense.

Then I've got some indie bands (Pavement) for contemplation on long walks that I like to take.

So I was just curious to see what others enjoy for different activities. Any recommendations would be really great. I'm looking to expand my music volume (music that is free and LEGAL would be preferable. I'm a little strapped for cash).

dannytatom
December 21st, 2008, 07:30 AM
Gaming = Drum n' Bass, Death Metal, or ISIS
Web Surfin'/Desinging/etc = Post Rock, Chillout, Lounge, etc
Driving = Rap from the dirty south ;)

I like to listen to nature when I walk. ;o

thenocturnalhoodie
December 21st, 2008, 07:36 AM
Gaming = Drum n' Bass, Death Metal, or ISIS
Web Surfin'/Desinging/etc = Post Rock, Chillout, Lounge, etc
Driving = Rap from the dirty south ;)

I like to listen to nature when I walk. ;o

Yea. If i'm hiking, I'll take off the headphones. Get in touch with my primal self and all that.

But if i'm strolling along my quiet suburb streets, I may as well plug in some Arcade Fire

dannytatom
December 21st, 2008, 07:37 AM
Oh yeah and I don't have a mp3 player, so even if I wanted to listen to music I couldn't. ;(

RiceMonster
December 21st, 2008, 07:37 AM
No real pattern. Sometimes I'll listen to calm music like Tujiko Noriko on my way to class, and then I'll put on something loud like Lightning Bolt when I go to do work. It's just whatever I want to listen to at the moment, though noise rock and homework are probably not a good mix XD.

JeffoOfMetal
December 21st, 2008, 07:41 AM
Gaming: Death Metal or nothing at all
Taking it easy: White Stripes-ish stuff or instrumental stuff like Pelican or

RiceMonster
December 21st, 2008, 07:44 AM
Pelican

Man, I love them. Only problem is, They play guitar a lot like I do, so I find myself writing riffs that sound like them, which is off because I had been writing stuff like that before I heard them. Oh well, I still can't get enough of them.

OutOfReach
December 21st, 2008, 07:48 AM
Whether I am coding, gaming, or just sitting around I always listen to Rap/Hip-Hop, mostly old-school (90's, early 2000's) with some excpetions of new songs.

handy
December 21st, 2008, 10:00 AM
I've grown out of the desire to always have music around me (some years ago, I was a muso too :-)). I prefer silence, as it doesn't interfere with my thoughts, I have become more easily distracted by external sounds particularly voices, as I've gotten older, unfortunately.

As far as games are concerned, I like the game to have appropriate music for whatever is happening, Oblivion does a very good job of this I think.

Wherever sound is coming from, it need not be loud.

As Bob Dylan once said, some music makes you lean forward in your chair.

Which is vastly superior to sticking your fingers in your ears & running away! :guitar: