PDA

View Full Version : I really hate when people change their avatars!

kevdog
December 21st, 2008, 06:44 AM
Not saying I'm stuck in a rut, but I hate when people change their avatars. I usually associate a personality with a recurrent poster based on their avatar. When their avatar changes, it totally #1 confuses me since I usually identify first with the avatar rather than the user name, and #2 Destroys my preconceived notion of their personality.

So bottom line -- quit changing avatars you long time Ubuntu users!

DirtDawg
December 21st, 2008, 06:58 AM
Not saying I'm stuck in a rut, but I hate when people change their avatars. I usually associate a personality with a recurrent poster based on their avatar. When their avatar changes, it totally #1 confuses me since I usually identify first with the avatar rather than the user name, and #2 Destroys my preconceived notion of their personality.

:lolflag: I like this post. I tend to do the same thing, but I can't help but switch it up a couple times a year. Mine always seem to be robots, anyways.

-grubby
December 21st, 2008, 07:01 AM
I agree. I visually scan posts and think avatar=person. To date, I've not changed my avatar completely (just decorated for holidays) in the 1 and a half years I've been here, and I don't plan on it anytime soon.

bufsabre666
December 21st, 2008, 07:06 AM
i started with a yankees logo, moved to a sabres logo, moved to black machismo jay lethal, moved to a arsenal penguin,and now a pic of me, i had the pic of jay lethal for the longest though i think thats what most people know cause i get random IM's from people here about it occasionally, but i like this pic showing off my ubuntu love, ive been using it on all webforms since i got the hat

RiceMonster
December 21st, 2008, 07:09 AM
I'm not a longtime poster, but I also recognize some people by their avatars.

Sorivenul
December 21st, 2008, 07:16 AM
I've noticed some recent changes myself and had this same thought.
On the other hand, I've been tempted lately to change my own avatar...

ubuntu27
December 21st, 2008, 07:27 AM
What do you think of me and my avatar? I haven't changed it for more than one year.

dannytatom
December 21st, 2008, 07:27 AM
I change avatars a lot, but I keep 'em pictures of myself so it's at least a little recognizable. ;D

FuturePilot
December 21st, 2008, 07:51 AM

LOL, well the same thing happens to me when I see someone change their avatar. But some good news for you, I haven't changed this one in a long time. Well except for the Santa hat. ;)

mips
December 21st, 2008, 08:33 AM
Not saying I'm stuck in a rut, but I hate when people change their avatars. I usually associate a personality with a recurrent poster based on their avatar. When their avatar changes, it totally #1 confuses me since I usually identify first with the avatar rather than the user name,

+1 I feel the same.

Ripfox
December 21st, 2008, 08:37 AM
Well it makes me want to switch back so certain people can dislike me again lol

Kingsley
December 21st, 2008, 08:38 AM
Oh snap. You probably think I'm some animal lover.

CJ Master
December 21st, 2008, 08:52 AM
Oh snap. You probably think I'm some animal lover.

They probably think I'm ironman! :D

Err... or irontux...

pp.
December 21st, 2008, 09:16 AM
...Destroys my preconceived notion of their personality.

That would be sufficient reason for me to change my avatar which I herewith do. There - done.

I don't like to support people's preconceived notions about me. I'm someone else. I'm me.

p_quarles
December 21st, 2008, 09:24 AM
I don't like to support people's preconceived notions about me. I'm someone else. I'm me.

Oh, so you're *that* guy.

dannytatom
December 21st, 2008, 09:27 AM
hahaahaha

chris4585
December 21st, 2008, 09:39 AM
I believe this is something, thats on everyone's mind, but no one wants to say it

I agree, I associate with the avatars

Polygon
December 21st, 2008, 04:06 PM
this topic reminded me i need to change my avatar again ^^

twisted_steel
December 21st, 2008, 04:16 PM
I agree. I visually scan posts and think avatar=person. To date, I've not changed my avatar completely (just decorated for holidays) in the 1 and a half years I've been here, and I don't plan on it anytime soon.

Yeah, I always remember yours. Nothing like a bloody ocean :)

I definitely feel the same way though. It makes it easy when scanning through threads.

Dixon Bainbridge
December 21st, 2008, 04:22 PM

I really hate it when people say things like "I really hate when" instead of "I really hate it when" :)

earthpigg
December 21st, 2008, 04:39 PM

ive meet 100 people just like that, and they are all exactly the same.

notwen
December 21st, 2008, 05:26 PM
I won't likely change mine ever. Except for the occasional theme/holiday alteration to my current avatar. =]

Dr Small
December 21st, 2008, 05:30 PM
I usually change mine every 6 months, but I've dropped the idea of random images and stick more with recent pictures of myself. Of course, I do the same as everyone else here, and scan a post and visually recognize the poster by his avatar. But me changing my avatar's can't confuse too many people, since it's still a picture of me somehow :D

MikeTheC
December 21st, 2008, 05:40 PM
I tend to change my avvy and sig on a regular basis, usually determined by an incredibly complex, multi-page-long equation concerning cyclical effects of fatigue, boredom, and the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

Of course, with most of the boards I've been on, it seems many users change their avvys on a regular basis.

Now, in the case of the ones I've used here, I started out with this eye on which was super-imposed the Ubuntu logo. Around about the time I Christmas-fied it, I discovered there was another user on here who had a similar basic concept of a close-up of an eye. So I thought, well, I'll change it to where I've got one of those 3D cool-looking Tux icons on it instead of the Ubuntu ring. But then, I found other people using that same Tux icon, so I thought to myself, "Gosh-golly darn (and "Gee Whiz", too) and so I have now changed it to reflect my all-time favorite anime series. (BTW, in June they're supposedly coming out with a feature-length CGI movie of it.)

BGFG
December 21st, 2008, 05:57 PM

I disagree, if you associate visually that's all you. When I see new avatars sometimes it makes me smile. To me the change represents a new state of mind for the user, a change in life or just a new mood....

Your avatar can be a representation of yourself or just some random pic. It has nothing to do with any other user.

Change can be good man.

richg
December 21st, 2008, 07:18 PM
Change is inevitable, struggle is an option. You sound like a geezer.
Actually, avatars waste bandwidth. They serve no useful purpose.

Rich

SomeGuyDude
December 21st, 2008, 08:19 PM
Just for you, I switched.

smartboyathome
December 21st, 2008, 08:57 PM
I don't know when I started using my Kyuubi no Kitsune avatar, but according to my deviantart account, it was around April. I have not really changed it except for giving it a santa hat in the beginning of October. :p

WaeV
December 21st, 2008, 09:03 PM

I totally agree. I haven't changed my avatar since 2004, for all forums. The only changes I do are resizes of the original so they fit better.

Actually, I think I posted a thread like this on another forum... :razz:

MikeTheC
December 21st, 2008, 09:06 PM
<--- Christmas-themed Gatch'. Hope you anti-avatar-changing folks like it.

WaeV
December 21st, 2008, 09:08 PM
I now have no idea who you are.

No seriously, if I knew who you were before, I don't know now.

MikeTheC
December 21st, 2008, 09:11 PM
Just for you, I switched.

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/669/someguydudexmasavvypr0.png

Dude - mustn't forget the Christmas spirit! :)

Cope57
December 21st, 2008, 09:17 PM
I only changed the image on the belly from Ubuntu to Debian back in 2005-2006, and added a reflection a few months ago...

I'll be adding a candy cane background soon, but only temporarily for a couple weeks.
;)

MikeTheC
December 21st, 2008, 09:19 PM
I only changed the image on the belly from Ubuntu to Debian back in 2005-2006, and added a reflection a few months ago...

I'll be adding a candy cane background soon, but only temporarily for a couple weeks.
;)

Better hurry up. Don't want me adding a Santa cap for you... :p

christhemonkey
December 21st, 2008, 09:28 PM
Definately +1!
When other's who've been here a while change their avatar's it really throws me.

Personally, I've only changed my avatar once since joining because I got bored of just having a picture of a keyboard as an avatar (excluding seasonal additions!).

CJ Master
December 21st, 2008, 09:33 PM
Better hurry up. Don't want me adding a Santa cap for you... :p

Hehe, ironman with a santa cap. :P

MikeTheC
December 21st, 2008, 09:50 PM
Hehe, ironman with a santa cap. :P

Your wish is my command, sire...

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/971/cjmastarxmasavvykq5.png

Kernel Sanders
December 21st, 2008, 09:55 PM
My avatar is me on a night out :KS

MikeTheC
December 21st, 2008, 10:00 PM
My avatar is me on a night out :KS

Is that possible? You really don't look like a pasty-white Linux geek guy. :p

Seriously, you're very pretty!

magmon
December 21st, 2008, 10:31 PM
Agreed, when people change their avvys I always need to relearn who that person is xD

KiwiNZ
December 22nd, 2008, 01:04 AM
<---- absolutely terrible they should be horse whipped :P

CJ Master
December 22nd, 2008, 01:10 AM
Your wish is my command, sire...

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/971/cjmastarxmasavvykq5.png

Ahaha, thats awesome! I needed a holiday avatar anyways :P

BTW - Where'd you get hat picture?

bruce89
December 22nd, 2008, 01:19 AM
Hmm, good idea. I don't have a Christmas hat here though.

chucky chuckaluck
December 22nd, 2008, 02:15 AM
<---- absolutely terrible they should be horse whipped :P

what happened to your av. mike? it looks like the poor, little fella got pounded into his socks.

http://ubuntuforums.org/customavatars/avatar9_10.gif

73ckn797
December 22nd, 2008, 02:30 AM
I change avatars a lot, but I keep 'em pictures of myself so it's at least a little recognizable. ;D

I have wondered whether your avatar is you singing!

kevdog
December 22nd, 2008, 03:42 AM
Will someone give me a freakin' Santa cap?

Joeb454
December 22nd, 2008, 03:57 AM
I don't tend to change mine all that much, and usually it's still a picture of Brian from Family Guy

Mr. Picklesworth
December 22nd, 2008, 04:00 AM
Well, I had to change mine to celebrate the fantastic amazingness of Memaker :)
(And because SVGs are God).

SportsGuy2
December 22nd, 2008, 04:06 AM
Where does everyone get the penguin avys?

KiwiNZ
December 22nd, 2008, 04:08 AM
what happened to your av. mike? it looks like the poor, little fella got pounded into his socks.

http://ubuntuforums.org/customavatars/avatar9_10.gif

He's feeling a little down due to the pressures of work , old SC works them hard this time of the year :)

MikeTheC
December 22nd, 2008, 04:51 AM
Will someone give me a freakin' Santa cap?

Hold yer horse, Batman! I'm workin' on it... :p

MikeTheC
December 22nd, 2008, 04:55 AM
kevdog:

Your new Xmas Avvy is here...

Merry Christmas!

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/3949/kevdogsxmasavvyuf8.png

MikeTheC
December 22nd, 2008, 05:14 AM
Ahaha, thats awesome! I needed a holiday avatar anyways :P

BTW - Where'd you get hat picture?

No problem. I actually just did a Google search and found several. The one I used started out as a JPEG which I then isolated from the white background. All the avvys I've been creating for you folks here I'm building as basically layered images which then I'm saving as PNGs. All of this I'm doing in Gimp.

MikeTheC
December 22nd, 2008, 05:19 AM
Well, I had to change mine to celebrate the fantastic amazingness of Memaker :)
(And because SVGs are God).

Well, Merry Christmas to you, good sir.

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/4624/mrpicklesworthsxmasavvyts4.png

CJ Master
December 22nd, 2008, 05:24 AM
*100s of people all have same santa cap in their avatar*

Grant A.
December 22nd, 2008, 05:25 AM
Your santa cap is cut off :O

CJ Master
December 22nd, 2008, 05:27 AM
^I know, guess its just part of having too much awesomeness in irontux that the santa hat awesomness doesn't all fit in =(

magmon
December 22nd, 2008, 05:43 AM
I would santa mine, but Alucard's head is a bit cut off xD

kavon89
December 22nd, 2008, 05:59 AM
The real challenge is...

How do you Santa someone already wearing a hat?? O_o

Grant A.
December 22nd, 2008, 06:03 AM
http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:bes96ZFvchqydM:http://www-03.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/resources/dwlivebriefings/Miller-2hats.JPG

It's not that hard...

MikeTheC
December 22nd, 2008, 06:06 AM
The real challenge is...

How do you Santa someone already wearing a hat?? O_o

Your challenge is accepted and met, sir. Merry Christmas.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/7822/kavon89sxmasavvyra1.png

kavon89
December 22nd, 2008, 06:10 AM
Your challenge is accepted and met, sir. Merry Christmas.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/7822/kavon89sxmasavvyra1.png

/bow

thank you, fits him perfectly.

Sorivenul
December 22nd, 2008, 07:49 AM
Couldn't help myself. Changed it up.

twisted_steel
December 22nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Where does everyone get the penguin avys?

Tux Factory: http://tux.crystalxp.net/

xpod
December 22nd, 2008, 01:35 PM
Came close to changing it once or twice.Even got as far as the User CP armed with a new one.When it came to saving the change though i just couldn`t do it.It just felt wrong.:-?

I would change it for a blendered version though,if i could use blender.

upapilot
December 22nd, 2008, 02:43 PM
I agree that it is confusing but i can't help changing my avatars after some time because they get boring if kept too long!:|