PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] After 8.10 install, white screen login textbox

xXGuitarPlayinXx
December 21st, 2008, 06:12 AM
Hi, I just upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 from 8.04 and am not able to reach the desktop by using any of the kernels from grub. The same thing happened when I tried booting 8.10 from the live disk itself. My system hangs just before the login screen. The screen is white or a very light grey, has a blank textbox (where you would type in your login) and the cursor is "busy". I am unable to get anywhere at this screen. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my integrated video card, Via Chrome K8M800 chipset.

I forgot to add that I've removed compiz and still have the problem.

infamous-online
December 21st, 2008, 06:18 AM
I believe Via has linux drivers for their video cards so check to see if they do. Then try a fresh install of ubuntu 8.10

xXGuitarPlayinXx
December 21st, 2008, 07:13 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw them too. What would you suggest I do? Should I reinstall 8.04, install the via drivers, then reinstall 8.10? Or is there a better way to do this?

infamous-online
December 21st, 2008, 07:56 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw them too. What would you suggest I do? Should I reinstall 8.04, install the via drivers, then reinstall 8.10? Or is there a better way to do this?

your best bet would install ubuntu 8.10 as a fresh install, and see if the drivers work with it. If you get no errors, then everything should working correctly.

If you try this, update me on your progress if you can.

xXGuitarPlayinXx
December 21st, 2008, 03:17 PM
Goodmorning, Ok, I just tried installing 8.10 by the cd this time. I get the cd to boot up to a desktop like screen that has a "stone-like" background with a blank popup that says "install" at the top. There are no buttons to select. I actually tried doing this the first time and ran into the same problem. I got around it by just installing the upgrade through 8.04. I'm going to look more into this issue right now.

xXGuitarPlayinXx
December 21st, 2008, 04:30 PM
Alright, back again. Just finished the memory test and cd error check. No errors found. I've decided to try the alternate text based installer for 8.10, hope it works.

xXGuitarPlayinXx
December 21st, 2008, 08:42 PM
Problem solved. I was able to get the system back up after doing a complete install of 8.10 using the alternate text based installer. Thanks for the help.

jaggsr
January 17th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I just installed Ubuntu 8.10.
After entering login details it it validates, but nothing happnes after it.
I can see just a light orange background only with cursor in middle. Thats it. Nothing process after it. :(

I tried live cd as well.
After loading dialog, the same thing happened. :(

I am not able to track the issue, is it problem to with my CRT monitor?

before that I was able to run 8.04 successfully.