PDA

View Full Version : Looking into buying a laptop... Need advice.

MikeTheC
December 21st, 2008, 02:55 AM
Hi folks!

I actually almost titled this thread "... Need help." But then I thought, "Hmm... I don't think I need that kind of help."

Anyhow, seriously, let me explain my situation and see what opinions and advice you folks may have.

I'm about to become a new college student in January. At the moment, it's at a 2 & 4 year "community"-turned-"state" college, and I'm just taking the absolute basics, Intro Algebra and Comp I. As of right now, I own some PowerBook G4s, all of which work, but all of which are dated systems. (On an unrelated note, I'm going to be putting them up for sale fairly soon.) I know I'm going to need to go to x86, and I'm neither kicking nor screaming about it. It's simply a matter of not having "gone and done it" yet.

The last 24 months have proven to be interesting ones throughout the tech industry. However, on a personal level, the things I've learned are that Apple isn't really putting out hardware that is "must have" for me any more, both in terms of features/gee-whiz/fit-n-finish and in terms of being the only viable alternative to Windows. For me, Linux is good enough for about 90% of what I do, the remaining 10 percent being things like wanting Photoshop, InDesign, DreamWeaver, and unquestioned hardware support for the iPod/iPhone platform (I don't own an iPhone, but you never know...).

In January, I will also be starting college, and while I'm only taking Intro Algebra and Comp I, there is still a need for true document interchangeability and compatibility which, frankly, Mac OS X doesn't quite offer. Now, you can lay the blame at the feet of Microsoft's MBU if you like, but nevertheless it's a factor I know I'm going to have to contend with, and frankly I'd just as soon not.

So, let's fast-forward to last night. I was over at Best Buy, just kind of milling about, and decided to take a look at the laptops they had. All I can say is it's certainly amazing to see the price differences between Apple hardware and the rest of the PC industry, even on really nice laptops. Now, it's true that Apple has the aluminum uni-body design sewn up for a bit, but much like people here and elsewhere complain about the "Microsoft Tax", I'm beginning to be irritated by the "Apple Tax".

It'd be different if Linux didn't exist or was unsuited for the non-scientist, but it is an extremely viable alternative, and has pretty well eroded, oh, let's call it 75% or more of what Mac OS X can claim as advantages over Windows. And so when you're looking at a 13.3" MacBook (current model) priced at about $1400, and a unit with about another inch of screen space, double the RAM, 100GB more HDD, HDMI, etc. is close to half the price, well... how much is having Mac OS X really worth?

Alright, so the reason I'm posting this thread is that I'm looking into getting a new PC laptop and either dual-booting it or virtualizing Windows on it. Either way will yield an acceptably fast solution which will give me both the OS I want (Linux) and the OS I need (Windows). What I am asking for is input and feedback on this, in terms of both user experiences with actual hardware and actual Linux compatibility.

The hardware in question includes HP and Asus laptops.

Specific questions I also have are:
Which has the advantage: a C2D system with or without the Centrino branding?

HDMI to DVI: It seems these laptops all have HDMI on them instead of DVI connectors. Is this in any way an issue when dealing with a DVI-equipped LCD display? Further, are there any other related factors I should know about?

Should I even consider an AMD-based laptop?

Additionally, I know about System76 units, so how do they stack up against others?

Any input or advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Mike

acelin
December 21st, 2008, 03:32 AM
What price range?

If you are going to be using Linux and/or Windows, I would suggest a Dell or HP.

As for AMD, I wouldn't suggest it for Linux.

I personally, if I was to buy PC ever again, would go for a Dell or HP. Dells have really done well in the last year, and HP's are pretty good as well.

Get a MacBook of you want OS X. Personally this is my choice, but I also find that Vista/Windows 7 runs better on my Mac than any other computer I own.

MikeTheC
December 21st, 2008, 03:35 AM
Not including tax, I'd like to keep the unit price below about $900. Ideally, somewhere in the $650 - $850 range.

acelin
December 21st, 2008, 03:37 AM
I have several friends, including a roommate with one of these.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop_studio_15?c=us&cs=19&l=en&ref=lthp&s=dhs

I would suggest it.

acelin
December 21st, 2008, 03:41 AM
I have several friends, including a roommate with one of these.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop_studio_15?c=us&cs=19&l=en&ref=lthp&s=dhs

I would suggest it.

Oh I read Asus and HP in your post, don't go with Asus. When i worked as a Resnet tech last year, people with Asus seemed to have horrible problems with overheating.

binbash
December 21st, 2008, 03:49 AM
Oh I read Asus and HP in your post, don't go with Asus. When i worked as a Resnet tech last year, people with Asus seemed to have horrible problems with overheating.

I am using an asus notebook for a year.The notebook is open 7/24 (yes only closed for 1-2 days :D ).I dont see any overheating problems EXCEPT i was using hardy.

Redache
December 21st, 2008, 04:33 AM

Don't Asus make Macbook's though...?

I have a Dell Studio 15 and I like it alot, it's a decent laptop for not much money.

wolfen69
December 21st, 2008, 05:27 AM
i would get a laptop with linux preinstalled then install windows. that way you can be assured of linux compatibility.

MikeTheC
December 21st, 2008, 05:30 AM
How well does VMware work with Ubuntu? I've played around with VirtualBox, but can't seem to figure out how to get the networking to work with it.

MikeTheC
December 21st, 2008, 06:45 AM
get a dell with windows preinstalled. then dualboot with ubuntu because you don't know if ubuntu will work with your schools network. and you never know my campus uses software that doesn't always work properly in linux

Not disagreeing with that advice at all, but FWIW, I've been able to surf the web, send and receive email on the college system, etc., on my Mac with no problems. I can only imagine it would be the same for Linux.

However, there may well be other areas of potential incompatibility, and so I will have to take that one step at a time.

BTW, any opinions on Fujitsu laptops, folks?

2hot6ft2
December 21st, 2008, 07:03 AM
The one in my sig works great but if you can find one that doesn't have the glossy screen I think you would like it better. If you have a dark theme and a glossy screen it will be a pain to try and see what you're doing when you're outdoors.

My Vaio had the matte screen and I didn't realize how much better it was until I got this one with the glossy screen.

gn2
December 21st, 2008, 11:28 AM
people with Asus seemed to have horrible problems with overheating.

Nothing to do with the brand, it's a function of the CPU, GPU, motherboard chipset and cooling solution.

An Intel Core 2 Duo Asus shouldn't run any hotter than any other brand of laptop.

My Asus F9E sits at 44°C in normal use and never goes above 59°C when pushed hard.

Where I live Asus laptops are generally very good value for money.

bigbrovar
December 21st, 2008, 11:42 AM
i have a dell xps m1330 came preinstalled with ubuntu 320gb hard drive, 4gb ram, finger print read and a slot load drive. i got the intel x3100 version because its more stable compared to the nvidia version.. so far its been a solid notebook but abit pricey although if you go to the dell ubuntu site (http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs) you would find some really cool laptop for your price range

you might also want to try system 76 (http://system76.com/index.php?cPath=28) .. although i have not used their product before .. from what i have heard its quite solid

rtrahan
December 21st, 2008, 03:48 PM
I repair PCs and the post that said get Linux installed first then install Windows is right on track...same example is if you wanted to run WIN2000 and WIN XP, you would load Windows 2000 first then Load Win XP..

If that is not plausible then buy a Dell with Windows Vista and use your MAC for Linux..this will save you lots of headaches and is the simpliest solution.