PDA

View Full Version : I need help finding a school that offers an online computer science degree.

SeaHawk22
December 20th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Sorry that this is off topic, but I figured it would be a good place to ask the question. I am looking for an affordable college that offers an online computer science degree. I have a Bachelors degree in an unrelated field, and I want to go back to school for computer science, but having a wife and child makes it hard for me to uproot and move. There is a school that is within cummuting distance from my home that offers evening classes, but it is in IT and you can only have a concentration in Software Engineering. (cost 70k for the degree)

http://www.neit.edu/index.cfm?pg=97&...ing-Technology

I have never been interested in studying online and believed that traditional classroom was the way to go, but I have limited options. I was hoping someone could make recommendation or offer any personal insight about studying this field online.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

abraxas_swa
December 20th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Where are you located? I just signed up for an Open University course - www.open.ac.uk

In any case, I'm fairly certain their courses are available to international students.

kjohansen
December 20th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Columbia University has a reputable online program through the Columbia Video Network(CVN).

They are about $3000 per course. They offer certificate level and masters level programs in a variety of topics.

mssever
December 20th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Where are you located?
The OP is within commuting distance of Warwick, Rhode Island, US. See the link he posted.

SeaHawk22
December 20th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I appreciate the help so far. Thank you,

pmasiar
December 20th, 2008, 11:21 PM
O'Reilly provides online courses - certifications from Uni of Illiniois in Urbana-Champain. With every course comes a book. Price is about $300-$400 for a course credit, plus $10/month for account to courseware server.

If you don't need the credits (only the knowledge) MIT OpenCourseWare might be good choice (never tried it myself, but it's MIT!)

SeaHawk22
December 20th, 2008, 11:27 PM
O'Reilly provides online courses - certifications from Uni of Illiniois in Urbana-Champain. With every course comes a book. Price is about $300-$400 for a course credit, plus $10/month for account to courseware server.

If you don't need the credits (only the knowledge) MIT OpenCourseWare might be good choice (never tried it myself, but it's MIT!)

Thank you, unfortunately I need the degree. : )

ebmelle
December 21st, 2008, 12:20 AM
Check out University of Phoenix for online education. A former associate, currently serving in S.Korea has completed their BS in Computer Science, and is currently about to complete his MS. All on line.

SeaHawk22
December 21st, 2008, 02:06 AM
Check out University of Phoenix for online education. A former associate, currently serving in S.Korea has completed their BS in Computer Science, and is currently about to complete his MS. All on line.

Do you feel that their reputation is admirable? I am not asking that in any sort of negative tone, but a sincere question. =) I have a lot more research to do :)

EDIT
I want add that my question is not directed toward University of Phoenix specifically, but rather towards online education in general. There is no sense of getting a degree if it is not marketable. :)

kjohansen
December 21st, 2008, 02:44 AM
Do you feel that their reputation is admirable? I am not asking that in any sort of negative tone, but a sincere question. =) I have a lot more research to day :)

EDIT
I want add that my question is not directed toward University of Phoenix specifically, but rather towards online education in general. There is no sense of getting a degree if it is not marketable. :)
The CVN which I mentioned does not make any distinction between its degrees earned online or in class. The diploma just reads columbia so there is no issue of reputation with that.

The masters programs there require that you satisfy regular admissions criteria but the certificate programs are open to anyone that wants to pay.

dwhitney67
December 21st, 2008, 03:50 AM
Why do you require that the school be available online? Are you traveling too much to be situated in one place?

The University of Maryland is one of the schools that is favored by the US DOD for the service men/women stationed overseas.

Whatever school you choose, make sure that the degree that is available is accredited by the ABET (http://www.abet.org/) (if you are in the US).

SeaHawk22
December 21st, 2008, 04:21 AM
Why do you require that the school be available online? Are you traveling too much to be situated in one place?

I require that the school be online because I am situated in RI and have a family to take care of. I need my current job to pay the bills, but would like to make a career change. If I can somehow find an employer in this economy in an area with a school that offers evening classes I would be completely open to it. As of right now my house has lost significant value, and there isn't many buyers in my market plus I have family support in RI to watch our young one :)

Jonas thomas
December 21st, 2008, 03:34 PM
I require that the school be online because I am situated in RI and have a family to take care of. I need my current job to pay the bills, but would like to make a career change. If I can somehow find an employer in this economy in an area with a school that offers evening classes I would be completely open to it. As of right now my house has lost significant value, and there isn't many buyers in my market plus I have family support in RI to watch our young one :)

As long as we're off topic ;)
About 7+ years ago, my company sent me to a evening class at IIT in VB client server applications (non-degree certificate program). (My daughter was not yet born). Anyway, there where a bunch of unemployed IT people in the class. (This right around the time when the tech bubble burst) The State of Illinois was paying for the re-training. There was this one guy in the class who was a ex-Cobol programmer who was in a situation where he needed a job fast... I remember at the time, how he was complaining how the IT job market stunk and how a friend of his was getting him was getting him into the lucrative real-estate re-finance business. He wound up dropping out of the class once he started the new job, but not before him gloating about the easy money to be made. That was then this is now.. I wonder where he is now.

Your story/life situation is uncomfortably familiar to me and your game plan is interesting. For myself at the moment, I think my work is going to hold it together but who knows in this economy. My free time is basically spent expanding my skill sets C++. Hopefully to apply at my current job or perhaps side gigs eventually to supplement income.

I hope that you're plan is based on pursuing something that you have a love and a fire in your belly for. For what's it's worth trying to make a living doing something you enjoy is always my plan "A", although sometimes doesn't work out that way.

For myself, I am absolutely amazed by the quality of free stuff out on the Net, if your willing to dig a little.

SeaHawk22
December 21st, 2008, 05:50 PM
As long as we're off topic ;)
About 7+ years ago, my company sent me to a evening class at IIT in VB client server applications (non-degree certificate program). (My daughter was not yet born). Anyway, there where a bunch of unemployed IT people in the class. (This right around the time when the tech bubble burst) The State of Illinois was paying for the re-training. There was this one guy in the class who was a ex-Cobol programmer who was in a situation where he needed a job fast... I remember at the time, how he was complaining how the IT job market stunk and how a friend of his was getting him was getting him into the lucrative real-estate re-finance business. He wound up dropping out of the class once he started the new job, but not before him gloating about the easy money to be made. That was then this is now.. I wonder where he is now.

Your story/life situation is uncomfortably familiar to me and your game plan is interesting. For myself at the moment, I think my work is going to hold it together but who knows in this economy. My free time is basically spent expanding my skill sets C++. Hopefully to apply at my current job or perhaps side gigs eventually to supplement income.

I hope that you're plan is based on pursuing something that you have a love and a fire in your belly for. For what's it's worth trying to make a living doing something you enjoy is always my plan "A", although sometimes doesn't work out that way.

For myself, I am absolutely amazed by the quality of free stuff out on the Net, if your willing to dig a little.

Thank you for the story, and I can honestly tell you that my interest is based on doing this because I want to. I know how it is to pursue something you do not love, I went to law school and dropped out because I had absolutely no love for the law and I would have had a horrible life and most likely unsuccessful career as a lawyer. I am doing this because I want it, I am not taking an easy road. I still have a lot of research to do, but I was under the impression that demand had gone down due to outsourcing to foreign countries, is that not the case?

Jonas thomas
December 21st, 2008, 09:05 PM
Thank you for the story, and I can honestly tell you that my interest is based on doing this because I want to. I know how it is to pursue something you do not love, I went to law school and dropped out because I had absolutely no love for the law and I would have had a horrible life and most likely unsuccessful career as a lawyer. I am doing this because I want it, I am not taking an easy road. I still have a lot of research to do, but I was under the impression that demand had gone down due to outsourcing to foreign countries, is that not the case?

Ok... Not a lawyer... well that's a plus...;) Just out of curiosity, what is your degree in anyway? How do you know this is what you want to do? While we're at it, why do you feel you need a degree to do it?

SeaHawk22
December 21st, 2008, 10:00 PM
Ok... Not a lawyer... well that's a plus...;) Just out of curiosity, what is your degree in anyway? How do you know this is what you want to do? While we're at it, why do you feel you need a degree to do it?

Yeah not another lawyer lol. I am not 100% sure that getting a computer science degree is the right move for me. I still have a lot of research to do. I think in time I will hopefully find what will be the best fit. I just started programming, and I am in no rush. I figure that I should just keep plugging away with programming as a hobby and see if this is something I want to do for the rest of my life, but in the mean time I like to have a plan. Also, are you insinuating that a degree is not necessary to get a job? I just assumed :)

Jonas thomas
December 21st, 2008, 10:22 PM
Yeah not another lawyer lol. I am not 100% sure that getting a computer science degree is the right move for me. I still have a lot of research to do. I think in time I will hopefully find what will be the best fit. I just started programming, and I am in no rush. I figure that I should just keep plugging away with programming as a hobby and see if this is something I want to do for the rest of my life, but in the mean time I like to have a plan. Also, are you insinuating that a degree is not necessary to get a job? I just assumed :)

Yes and no... It depends on the job..