PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good web dev IDE

codeking
December 20th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I'm looking for a good web dev IDE for ubuntu. I found Aptana, and I really liked that, but doesn't work all the way in the standalone version, and the eclipse plugin is so fat it runs terrible. Plus, theres a really annoying FTP error that isn't going to be fixed until the next release.

I need the ability to create projects, which a surprisingly few IDEs can do. I also need built in FTP.

I've found Geany, which I use for my local PHP app projects, but for making websites it just doesn't cut it. (Also it doesn't have FTP)

Can anybody make any recommendations?

Caduceus
December 20th, 2008, 09:19 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=800138

Might help

codeking
December 20th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I don't see anything about IDEs in that, just about getting started with web programming.

Caduceus
December 20th, 2008, 10:28 PM
My apologies, I haven't yet read it I just saw it in the FAQs

laceration
December 20th, 2008, 11:39 PM
I had a hard time finding something I liked when I switched from windows and homesite. I finally found Komodo Edit which is pretty decent. It sets up projects very capably. Komodo is built with Mozilla's xul. I use it for php mostly but its good for html, perl, python, and ruby. It doesn't do ftp, I use the fireftp extension for firefox and have that setup so it acts like standalone app. For css I use Cssed which is useful and available from the standard repositories. I really like Gedit too for a quick look at something or some bash scripting, it has some good features.
edit: I just haven't used it for ftp, I believe it does support ftp.

hessiess
December 21st, 2008, 11:26 AM
Dont bother with IDE's, construct your development environment out of multiple independent applications.

peter_brewer
December 21st, 2008, 11:51 AM
Quanta+ is my choice.

cb951303
December 21st, 2008, 12:04 PM
I'm looking for a good web dev IDE for ubuntu. I found Aptana, and I really liked that, but doesn't work all the way in the standalone version, and the eclipse plugin is so fat it runs terrible. Plus, theres a really annoying FTP error that isn't going to be fixed until the next release.

I need the ability to create projects, which a surprisingly few IDEs can do. I also need built in FTP.

I've found Geany, which I use for my local PHP app projects, but for making websites it just doesn't cut it. (Also it doesn't have FTP)

Can anybody make any recommendations?

Pro version is not that special believe me. Here is what pro version has extra: http://www.aptana.com/studio#content_pro
SFTP would be good but you can live without it :)

Aptana is a great IDE

codeking
December 21st, 2008, 05:30 PM
Pro version is not that special believe me. Here is what pro version has extra: http://www.aptana.com/studio#content_pro
SFTP would be good but you can live without it :)

Aptana is a great IDE

I never say anything about the pro version :confused: I'm using the standard version right now. Its just so fat it runs terrible on my system. (I could try installing the standalone again, see if that works any better)

laceration
December 21st, 2008, 05:54 PM
construct your development environment out of multiple independent applications
...each open on its own virtual desktop makes for a productive setup!

Aptana looked very similar to Komodo in its feature set and they have the same type of business model where there have an open source version and a more featured version for sale. I did not try Aptana because they do not have a 64 bit version unless you use it as an Eclipse plugin. Speaking of fat, that's what I thought of Eclipse. I often run ~10 tabs in Komodo with no problem. On the other hand I found Screem, Quanta and Bluefish to be too skinny.:P

codeking
December 21st, 2008, 06:04 PM
Just installed the standalone aptana, doesn't work all that well. Getting errors and stuff like that. Komodo seems to only have a 30-day trial, other than that its not free :(

Quanta+ seems good, but I can only get the project to be local or over FTP, not local that copies itself to the FTP.

cb951303
December 21st, 2008, 06:26 PM
I never say anything about the pro version :confused: I'm using the standard version right now. Its just so fat it runs terrible on my system. (I could try installing the standalone again, see if that works any better)

i read "standalone" as "standard"
sorry :lolflag:

laceration
December 21st, 2008, 06:46 PM
Komodo seems to only have a 30-day trial, other than that its not free
Komodo has a free, opensource version, Komodo Edit and one for sale Komodo IDE. Don't feel stupid because they make it hard to find Komodo Edit--they want to make some $$:P
http://activestate.com/Products/komodo_ide/komodo_edit.mhtml

and...
I have always developed on the localhost and manually ftp'ed, but it looks like Komodo has the features to support what you are looking for, putting remote files into your project over ftp.

I am coming off like a Komodo salesman. That's alright. Komodo Edit is a nice opensource contribution and I have appreciated using it.