PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Class Path (Environment Varialbles)

kicksave
December 20th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I am slowly testing my way into the Linux world. I basically use my computer to program Java (games/robots/mini-aps) and some web design.

I followed an awesome how-to by a forum member named Phossal but it had a small bit of info missing (How to set variable paths).

I installed the Java jdk in /usr/lib/Java6u1

I installed Eclipse in /usr/lib/eclipse

When I went to the command line and ran Eclipse an error "Can not find JDK or JRE... looked in: usr/lib/eclipse/jre/bin/java" came about.

I know it is because I need to set a path but I do not know how to do this.

I actually did a bit of butchery and dragged the JRE folder from Java6u1 and Eclipse works (but this is ugly).

If you do reply to this your patience and specificity is appreciated.

taurus
December 20th, 2008, 08:49 PM
You mean you want to add this directory to your PATH, /usr/lib/eclipse/jre/bin? If that's what you want, you can edit ~/.bashrc

mousepad ~/.bashrc
and add these two lines to the end of it.

PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib/eclipse/jre/bin
export PATH
Save it and close gedit window. Then run

source ~/.bashrc
But if you want to configure java on your machine, then what's the output of this command from a terminal?

sudo update-alternatives --config java

sarang
December 20th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I suggest not installing java from sun but instead installing sun's java from the repositories - it is sun java, but packaged appropriately for ubuntu. Alternatively, you can install the openjdk-6 which recently achieved full compliance with sun java.

In general, I prefer software from the repositories to direct 3rd party software.

First enable the multiverse component of the repositories:

sudo software-properties-gtk

and enable the multiverse component.

Remove all of sun's things that you installed and then install software from the repository:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-plugin

or

sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk icedtea6-plugin

Eclipse after that should be fairly easy; the eclipse version in the repositories is significantly older than the one from the eclipse website, so I would install the website version in this case.