PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] firefox 3.0.5 crashes on startup

transkinetic
December 20th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Hello,
I'm using Xubuntu 8.1. Firefox had been working error free until I updated it to 3.0.5 via the update manager. Now whenever I try and run firefox, it just hangs. I can see firefox in System Manager's process viewer.

I'm using elinks right now. It's fairly spiffy but I can't see images or the youtube.

Can I somehow revert to the previous version of firefox?
Also, is there some sort of text/terminal browser that will embed images?

taurus
December 20th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Can you run firefox from a terminal to see what's wrong with it?

firefox

transkinetic
December 20th, 2008, 06:56 PM
No information is returned. The Process hangs until it is ended or killed.

Ender41
December 20th, 2008, 07:02 PM
No information is returned. The Process hangs until it is ended or killed.

Try opening a terminal cd to .mozilla/firefox in your home directory.
Then ls to see the name of your firefox folder, cd into that and then ls -a and rm the lock and .parentlock files. Then cd ~ and try firefox again, if it starts up then make sure you clear the cache.

Ender

transkinetic
December 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM
There was no 'lock' file. I rm'd '.parentlock' in a subdirectory named pr98li3b. Starting firefox recreated '.parentlock' . Still no change. Firfox is but an entry in the process list and there's no terminal output.

I tried removing all the cache files and deleting most of the config files with no effect at all.

Ender41
December 21st, 2008, 06:39 AM
There was no 'lock' file. I rm'd '.parentlock' in a subdirectory named pr98li3b. Starting firefox recreated '.parentlock' . Still no change. Firfox is but an entry in the process list and there's no terminal output.

I tried removing all the cache files and deleting most of the config files with no effect at all.

Ok make sure firefox isn't running and create a new profile
using ./firefox -profilemanager
from a terminal. If it still crashes then you may need to try deleting the whole .mozilla folder, though this will lose bookmarks etc and is not the best solution.

Ender

transkinetic
December 21st, 2008, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the replies. I ended up installing the latest firefox beta. It works. Yay. :KS