PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu studio 8.10 install hell!

draffel
December 20th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I am by no means a novice when it comes to computers UNIX, Linux, Macs, PC's you name it I've installed it, used it, work professionally in the film industry using them and even programmed my own gui's...I own a dual 1Gig G4 quicksilver, a macbook pro 17", and a Gateway Desktop ...and work on an SUSE box at the office that being said; I have successfully installed kubuntu and ubuntu 8.10 on a Gateway GM5066E Dual Core EM64T 2.8 GHz Intel Pentium Box with a gig of ram. I burned the ISO downloaded directly from the ubuntu Studio home page with K3B and even checked the DVD with the install program and checked the check sums everything says A.O.K. .....

I have tried just about every partition option including guided, guided use entire disk, guided setting up a LVM and Manually configuring the disk.

The farthest point I have ever gotten it to is Installing Base System 32% on core packages and then it just hangs there forever...I've let it run an entire day at that stage and nothing....ubuntu desktop and kubuntu both install fine in under an hour but I find it very limiting.....I really wanted to try all the AV open source software bundled with the Studio flavor. I am at the end of my ropes trying to get this to work. I'm not trying to be an elitist I am trying to keep an "open" mind but I think this is why LINUX will have a very very VERY hard time ever getting the general user to make the switch.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the install to actually do what it is supposed to....install the OS? Anyone? Please....no really. I'm about to give up on my dreams of sticking it to Bill and Steve for good.

Just tried to re-install kubuntu and now it tells me I/O error from a Disk I know works!!!!!!! What a freekin nightmare. it wont even recognize my keyboard or sata drive!

sukhhari
December 20th, 2008, 09:04 AM
At outfit is the best of way of Ubuntustudio 8.04, instead of Ubuntustudio 8.10 since it is very new release.