PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't Find PostgreSQL's C library ???

rich1939
December 20th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I installed PostgreSQL v8.3, but I can't find the C library. The documentation says that it's called "pq" or maybe "libpq", and when I execute "pg_config --libdir" it reports "/usr/lib", but there's no PostgreSQL library that I can recognize there.

I've tried "find", but it only finds directories named "libpq" and they only have the ".h" header files in them.

My program complied, but I can't link it. Do I have to download the library from somewhere...and if so, how?

slavik
December 20th, 2008, 07:47 AM
did you add the flags for the linker? as in -lpq or whatever it has to be?
Have you tried looking for a tutorial that shows the linker flags?

rich1939
December 20th, 2008, 07:53 AM
bump

I located a file in /usr/lib called libpq.a, but when I used that in my compile command: gcc -o test test.o -L/usr/lib -llibpq.a, I get a message "/usr/bin/ld can't find -llibpq.a!

There are two other entries in /usr/lib that match libpq* and they are libpq.so and libpq.so.5, but they are both links and neither one is acceptable to the linker.

Any ideas?

slavik
December 20th, 2008, 07:58 AM
try using -lpq

rich1939
December 20th, 2008, 11:29 PM
try using -lpq

YOU'RE RIGHT!

I had searched for the "pq" library, but couldn't find it, so I also looked for "libpq", etc. The latter weren't acceptable to the linker.

I finally took a leap of faith and followed your suggestion to use -lpq and it linked and ran just fine, with no errors.

For others who might want to key-in the "libpq Example Program 1", I first used the commands: pg_config --includedir and pg_config --libdir to locate the libpq-fe.h header file and the location of the pq library. The commands I used to compile and link the program were as follows:

gcc -c testlibpq.c -I/usr/include/postgresql
gcc -o testlibpq testlibpq.o -L/usr/lib -lpq

If the locations of your header file and/or library are different from these using the pg_config commands, then use your results.

Thanks again for your very helpful response. I love these forums!

westmdflounder
February 7th, 2009, 03:41 PM
This would typically work as a one liner:

gcc -lpq -I/usr/include/postgresql testlibpq.c -o testlibpq