PDA

View Full Version : PackageKit is horrible! Is everyone really so mislead?

Vadi
December 19th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I thought PackageKit was the solution to one of the big problems in Linux - different package formats.

Turns out, I was wrong. It's nothing more but a GUI for all those different package formats. And no, it won't allow you to use them - if your system was .deb based before, it'll still be, if it was .rpm based, it'll still be. The only thing it adds is that people on a .rpm and .deb based system will have the same GUI.

And is this GUI even any good? Not when I tried it (just did on a fully updated Fedora 10). The application add/remove was done in a similar fashion to Ubuntu's Add/Remove (gnome-app-install) plus some obvious usability issues, like not being able to search in a category.

Personally, I'm horribly disappointed by this. It also claims "PackageKit is a system designed to make installing and updating software on your computer easier." - maybe it was hard on other distros, but on Ubuntu, I'd say the upgrading interface isn't exactly a problem (yes, interface, because packagekit won't fix your wireless after an upgrade).

So really, even if packagekit does manage to accomplish it's goal - provide 1 gui - it's solved a "not really pressing" problem.

Talk about disappointment :mad:

(note: I thought for some reason that packagekit provided a feature to pause installation/upgrades for shutdownn and resume them at boot. However even after patiently reading the whole faq, I didn't find a single notice about it. Oh well, not like this is a big issue / bonus anyway)

edit: to enlighten yourself, see http://www.packagekit.org/pk-intro.html and http://www.packagekit.org/pk-faq.html.

bruce89
December 20th, 2008, 01:14 AM
I thought PackageKit was the solution to one of the big problems in Linux - different package formats.

Turns out, I was wrong. It's nothing more but a GUI for all those different package formats. And no, it won't allow you to use them - if your system was .deb based before, it'll still be, if it was .rpm based, it'll still be. The only thing it adds is that people on a .rpm and .deb based system will have the same GUI.

[...]

Talk about disappointment :mad:

I think that cross-distro UIs are a good thing, especially when it comes to things like codec / font installation. Previously, each distro would implement its own codec installer. Now, PackageKit can handle it on all distros (assuming Ubuntu see the light).

igknighted
December 20th, 2008, 01:45 AM
The problem has nothing to do with deb vs. rpm... the problem is different distro's package things differently (as in, libraries are in different locations or broken up into different packages). If those things were done the same, the package format (rpm, deb, etc) wouldn't matter at all. So the solution is not that simple.

hanzomon4
December 20th, 2008, 01:54 AM
That's all package kit is? Can't be!

Rokurosv
December 20th, 2008, 02:52 AM
I haven't had an issue with PackageKit so far, but when I'm installing breakable stuff, like the nvidia drivers, I use the command line.

Vadi
December 20th, 2008, 04:24 AM
I think that cross-distro UIs are a good thing, especially when it comes to things like codec / font installation. Previously, each distro would implement its own codec installer. Now, PackageKit can handle it on all distros (assuming Ubuntu see the light).

The thing is though, I hope it "doesn't". Currently, PackageKit's UI is even worse than Ubuntu's :(

igknighted
December 20th, 2008, 07:55 AM
The thing is though, I hope it "doesn't". Currently, PackageKit's UI is even worse than Ubuntu's :(

1) It isn't done yet

2) Unless you are used to synaptic, it really really sucks. Maybe packagekit isn't perfect, but I think starting fresh is better than trying to clean up a UI disaster.

Vadi
December 20th, 2008, 02:46 PM
No, I don't use synaptic - it's "for advanced" users. I'm talking about Add/Remove and the Update Manager. Failing to see the ui disaster here really though.

If it's not done, why is everyone pushing it so? I'm glad ubuntu devs are resisting the efforts to guniea pig test on ubuntu users again.