PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] buying a laptop without os. Is it a good idea?

weverjames
December 19th, 2008, 11:49 PM
is it a good idea?
I am seeing the gazelle ultra from system 76 but recently found a site: http://www.xoticpc.com/, that sells the same laptop (sager np7350) without os, and it is 400 cheaper than buying it from system 76.
I am tempted to buy it w/o os and install ubuntu by myself. I had a gazelle value that worked without need of the system 76 drivers. That makes me think that maybe ubuntu may work in this sager np 7350 without the system 76 drivers.
What do you think?
any advice?
It would be interesting to know the percentage of people that successfully install ubuntu in laptops. 400 dollars seems a high system 76 tax to pay for support!

markbuntu
December 20th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Bandits!!! run away.

Just do a google search and see what success people have had with that machine installing ubuntu or whatever. Unless system76 is rewriting the bios.....

donkyhotay
December 20th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I don't know about that particular laptop but laptops in general are not an issue. I have a toshiba laptop I bought about 7 years ago or so. It came windows but after learning how much better linux was compared to windows I've installed it on all my systems including the laptop. The worst problem I had was getting my graphics card drivers installed but that was because I had a non-standard graphics card and nothing really to do with my laptop.

NE Key
December 20th, 2008, 12:04 AM
My experience has been, Insert Disc, Select Install and then Fine Tune.

But I know nothing about this gazelle you speak of.

binbash
December 20th, 2008, 12:05 AM
If you are going to install gnu/linux why would you want to pay for a license?However in this case, i would not take it since i even didn't heard about that laptop

weverjames
December 20th, 2008, 12:12 AM
my only worries is that I see some post from people having problems with wireless cards, video cards and sound when installing ubuntu, or after they upgrade to a newer version of ubuntu.
System 76 swear to you that they makes patches to make ubuntu work with the laptops and they take care of bugs that comes with every update/upgrade.
What would you do if you were in my position?

markbuntu
December 20th, 2008, 12:38 AM
I would do a google search.

malspa
December 20th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Is it the same machine they sell with Ubuntu preinstalled?

http://system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=89

If so, I'd think you'd be good to go buying it without the OS installed.

weverjames
December 20th, 2008, 12:52 AM
what components should I check for compatibility in a laptop?
video card:Intel® GMA X4500HD integrated 3D/2D Graphics Accelerator
wireless card:Intel® 5100AGN 802.11a/b/g/n wireless LAN.

I have read that ubuntu ibex support these components. I guess any processor and hardrive should be fine.
Am I forgetting anything?

wpshooter
December 20th, 2008, 01:05 AM
In my opinion when you buy a laptop, you are buying an inferior machine period.

In my opinion the ONLY advantage to a laptop is portability. Otherwise, you get a better machine in every way by purchasing a good desktop.

malspa
December 20th, 2008, 01:18 AM

In my opinion the ONLY advantage to a laptop is portability. Otherwise, you get a better machine in every way by purchasing a good desktop.

I agree. And that's why I prefer desktops. But having a laptop as well is SO convenient, at times!

donkyhotay
December 20th, 2008, 01:31 AM

Very true, I often get asked from friends/family if a particular laptop is a good deal and always ask them, Why do you need a laptop? Most of the time the answer boils down to 'laptops are cool and everyone else has one'. Unless you need portability you're always better off with a desktop.

markbuntu
December 20th, 2008, 02:45 AM
You can't fit 4 hard drives in a laptop.