PDA

View Full Version : PC Game: MMORPG Perfect World: International

spawn.
December 19th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Has anyone actually played this game before? It is completely free, and you can optionally pay to quickly get items or just earn them through regular game play.

I think it has a lot of potential as every review of it has stated its graphics are awesome. The only negatives I've heard about it from various users is that they want it to rival on the scale of WoW. It's kind of the same format but obviously WoW has been out long enough to have more development.

I think I'm going to give it a try and see what it's like for myself. The company behind these "free complete online games" is pretty substantial.

There are other stuff on there too, but some of their products aren't available internationally --- yet...like Zhu Xian

binbash
December 20th, 2008, 12:01 AM
why are you putting this to linux game forums?This is not the area where windows software is talked about, this may be related to wine however it is not listed good at winehq also : http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9923

spawn.
December 20th, 2008, 01:01 AM
"why am I putting this in the Linux games thread?" - If I can run it on Linux then that makes it relevant. It's that simple.

Mahinva
December 20th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I played this game many months ago. Unfortunately, I was not a Linux user; I played on Windows XP.

I enjoyed the game, albeit in a rough stage as Perfect World was on the verge of being brought to a fully international version.

As it currently stands, I have yet to see the international version (either during my XP days or Ubuntu) however if this thread brings forth information regarding playing on Wine, it'd be an interesting read.

Input:

Graphically: I had to turn down my graphics, especially when in town (crappy graphics card). There was a built-in toggle feature that I'd hope would still be around. The character customization was (and probably still is) rather awesome as it was about as diverse as Oblivion. I have to say... I wish WoW would become as advanced.

Gameplay: Can't comment too much on this. I did not progress very far in the game, and the ingame instructions were of course choppy as everything was translated and inserted via unofficial patches. To play, you had to have the patience to hack around. At the time, PW allowed a female player to ride on a male player's mount while WoW had no comparable feature, however it now does with WotLK.

I think WoW has many more features, social, combat and solo however PW is a cheap alternative - unless the cash shop has been brought to the English/international community, in which case you may spend more than $15/month on such items.

spawn.
December 21st, 2008, 10:09 AM
After two days of playing Perfect World: International, here's what I have to say about it:

#I'm running everything on max settings at 1900X1200 resolution from my ThinkPad T61p with Ubuntu. I haven't experienced lag or any issues with Ubuntu 8.04LTS and Wine. However, this - like many other games - will run virtually flawless on XP. While I could not recognize any issues in gameplay via Linux, XP has always out done itself with PC Games.

#Gameplay: It's basically an Asian-themed version of WoW. The only differences that I can tell is that you have the option of "Pay As You Go" using the Perfect World Boutique. What's tempting about using the shop is that you don't have to spend any of your real money if you have the time and patience to acquire the items through normal gameplay. After about two days of gameplay, I've managed to level up close to 20. I spend about 3-4 hours a day winging it mostly.

Updated: to prevent me from being thrown to the wolves. I haven't had a lot of play time in WoW. I tried it briefly but had a bad experience. With a wide user base as it does, it open the doors to more hackers and the development of cheats. I think I could've switched servers I was on, but I decided to do something else.

Emphasis: The best part about leaving users with the option of "Pay As You Go" with the boutique shop is that it's convenient for those who don't care to spend the time or have the patience to progress through normal gameplay. Also, if the user quicks the game a few days or weeks later, there is no hassle with canceling your subscription and no worries about charges that shouldn't appear on your monthly statements. I liken it to having a cellular phone without a contract obligation.

#Like the other user said, WoW is probably cheaper in the long run with its monthly subscription and we all are aware that it has an enormous developer base that is dedicated to that game. On the other hand, Perfect World is also backed by a large corporation (foreign), but it really boils down to personal preference.

As far as a debate about WoW vs Perfect World is concerned, this game offers a different theme to the game and storyline. That's probably an obvious statement. I prefer Perfect World just because I like to be different.

Specs: 2.6GHz Intel Core2Duo; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX 570M 256MB OpenGL; Ubuntu 8.04LTS and XP Pro

Mahinva
December 22nd, 2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the follow-up, spawn. Very interesting that PW is playable - I could not recall if it has some sort of "game-shield" (can't recall proper term) that many other online games have.

Your last sentence made me wonder if you've played WoW and did not enjoy the system, or you're preferring to play PW because (it seems) not many Ubuntu-users (heck, even Windows) have heard of it? Either way, I'm certainly glad to hear you enjoy it!

This is a site/wiki that I found to be extremely helpful back when I played:

http://pw-main.onlinewelten.com/

I'm a bit curious as to how it'd run on my computer, under Ubuntu, but if I do any testing, it'd be after New Year's and if lucky, I'd then soon be ordering computer parts.

PS: Double-jumping was awesome fun. There's probably a Youtube video still floating around of a character made to look like Lara Croft who was jumping around in some ruins. Very nifty.

spawn.
December 22nd, 2008, 08:57 PM
I think I may try Lynch King but I dont know for sure.

Mahinva
December 22nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
I saw your update; terribly sorry to hear that you've had a bad experience with WoW. I hope that your gaming on PW is enjoyable, and that your experience with WoW improves if you so choose to return to playing it.

Thanks for posting on PW; I appreciate it.

Amaroq
January 23rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
This game won't launch for me. I'm trying to find answers anywhere I can, but none so far.

When I press Start in the launcher, I get an error box consisting of gibberish, then nothing. I'm on Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit, wine 1.1.13, ATI Radeon HD 3870 with fglrx driver.

cb951303
January 23rd, 2009, 12:47 PM
what makes it different than any other 99999 million asian-themed mmorpgs?

dardack
January 23rd, 2009, 03:08 PM
Does it have english files for it? I know it claims 30 million, but that looks like mostly aisan. I've left WoW, the $30/month (yes i dual boxed) was a bit too much as I grew bored. I don't know what it was, but I didn't even get to 80, normally I would hit cap in like a week or 2, but I just grew bored. Maybe playing for like 4yrs had something to do with it. So I would like to try this, it looks interesting.

EDIT:
Also, anyone try 1.1.13 and see if some of the bugs are fixed? Also, does it use opengl or directx?

And anyone useing 64bit?

Sorry, i'm at work and i'm also in the process of updating my laptop to 64bit ubuntu.

Reversik
January 24th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I've been through a lot of free online games and my share of payed to play MMO's. I'd have to say after playing PWI for a day or two, it's a great game. It has good graphics, really awesome depending on the graphics card, customization features that give others a run for the money and overall has a very good population. From what I take it is one of the biggest MMO's in Asia besides WoW. I didn't see as much as a protection shield on there like most free online games Silkroad,Conquer Online, etc. I don't think world of warcraft has one but it seems to get along fine. Even though PWI does not have that protection shield on the log-in screen whenever you go to type in your password a virtual keyboard pops up so if you're nervous of key loggers and the like hey just type it in. Besides that from what it looks like the traveling from place to place is very expansive because you only go so fast. The interface is middle I'd say, the game overall very fun to play, but that's an opinion you should take it for what it's worth. A bit more refining and polishing on the ends of the people who made the game, I think it'll attract even more people. Any who, that's my two cents.

Largaroth
January 14th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Hi all, little up ^^". Um I've just installed this one and it all went well apparently.. Until I get to the loading screen, the bar gets just passed the half way point and stops. It just stops dead... I've done two checkfiles ans that all seems to be fine... Any suggestions ?

googeek
January 20th, 2010, 02:53 AM
I play it. Just starting to get into it.
Here's how I got mine to work

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1359179&highlight=perfect+world