PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] eliminating dapper from dualboot

karrank%
December 19th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, couldn't find it.

I've given away this computer and need to eliminate the ubuntu partition, sorry to say, and extend the XP partition to reoccupy the entire HDD. Any advice? This n00b thanks you in advance.

oilchangeguy
December 19th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, couldn't find it.

I've given away this computer and need to eliminate the ubuntu partition, sorry to say, and extend the XP partition to reoccupy the entire HDD. Any advice? This n00b thanks you in advance.

i hope you got the xp cd with the computer because you're going to need it. and you're going to need a ubuntu cd to resize the partitions. do you have these cd's available?

karrank%
December 19th, 2008, 09:45 PM
i hope you got the xp cd with the computer because you're going to need it. and you're going to need a ubuntu cd to resize the partitions. do you have these cd's available?

Have the ubuntu cd but not XP it's an Emachines w/ the recovery stuff on the D: drive /dev/hda/2

oilchangeguy
December 19th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Have the ubuntu cd but not XP it's an Emachines w/ the recovery stuff on the D: drive /dev/hda/2

search google for how to create a windows boot disc. because if you remove ubuntu, you'll have to restore windows master boot record (mbr). i'd suggest just leaving it alone.

karrank%
December 19th, 2008, 10:13 PM
search google for how to create a windows boot disc. because if you remove ubuntu, you'll have to restore windows master boot record (mbr). i'd suggest just leaving it alone.

Thanks for the assistance, I misspoke earlier, there is an emachines recovery disk available. But I am confused (can ya tell?). Are you suggesting I'll need to reformat the HDD to accomplish this?

oilchangeguy
December 19th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the assistance, I misspoke earlier, there is an emachines recovery disk available. But I am confused (can ya tell?). Are you suggesting I'll need to reformat the HDD to accomplish this?

a restore cd may not work for this. and no, i'm not saying to reformat. if you uninstall ubuntu, it's boot loader goes with it. so you'll need to restore windows boot loader in order to start it.

cariboo
December 19th, 2008, 10:19 PM
If you use the emachne restore disk, it should reformat the hard drive and install XP like the day it was first installed. You probably have to spent several hours updating it, and installing all the programs you don't need when running Ubuntu (anti-virus, anti-spyware and a firewall):).

I use the update dvd from here (http://www.projectdakota.net/) to speed up installing updates. I usually figure on about 6 hours to bring XP up to date.

Jim

karrank%
December 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM
If you use the emachne restore disk, it should reformat the hard drive and install XP like the day it was first installed. You probably have to spent several hours updating it, and installing all the programs you don't need when running Ubuntu (anti-virus, anti-spyware and a firewall):).

I use the update dvd from here (http://www.projectdakota.net/) to speed up installing updates. I usually figure on about 6 hours to bring XP up to date.

Jim
thanks for the reply gents and I apologize for causing this confusion, but I forgot to say I'm trying to avoid reformatting the XP side and just leave it alone if possible.

oilchangeguy
December 19th, 2008, 10:28 PM
thanks for the reply gents and I apologize for causing this confusion, but I forgot to say I'm trying to avoid reformatting the XP side and just leave it alone if possible.

please read post #6 again.

karrank%
December 19th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Aahh, restore windows boot loader, got it, sorry, thanks.

karrank%
December 19th, 2008, 11:09 PM
please read post #6 again.

I've got a spare supergrub disk laying around, can I use that?

oilchangeguy
December 19th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I've got a spare supergrub disk laying around, can I use that?

no, you'll need to use a windows xp cd, not a factory restore cd, to restore the windows boot record.