PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Bootmgr missing for Vista

rapsball4
December 19th, 2008, 08:43 PM
My apologies if this thread exists somewhere, but I didn't see one. I already had a Vista x64 Home Premium running for a while and decided I had been Ubuntu-less for too long (due to some other glitches a while ago I never managed to get fixed). I installed 8.10 alright to another partition, so with setup like this:

Disk 1:
Partition 1 - Windows
Partition 2 - Ubuntu root
Partition 3 - swap space
Partition 4 - shared data

Disk 2:
Partition 1 - more shared data

GRUB loads up fine and shows the options that it should show, and it boots into Ubuntu no problems. But when I try to boot into Windows, I get a message that the Bootmgr is missing. I can use SuperGRUB to get into it still, but that would be a major hassle to do everytime I wanted Windows. Any ideas on how to fix?

upchucky
December 19th, 2008, 08:52 PM
get advanced supergrub to fix master boot record.

search this forum for chainloader it is needed for win partitions

super grub will set it up for you.

caljohnsmith
December 19th, 2008, 09:13 PM
In order to get a clearer picture of your setup, how about opening a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and do:

cd ~/Desktop && wget 'http://home.comcast.net/~ubuntu_grub/boot_info_script.txt' && sudo bash boot_info_script.txt
That will create a "boot_info_results.txt" file in the same directory from where the script is run, namely your desktop; please copy/paste the contents of that file to your next post. That will help clarify your setup and what your problem might be.

rapsball4
December 19th, 2008, 09:42 PM
The file is attached. I googled for Advanced Super Grub and got nothing - is it different than normal Super Grub?

caljohnsmith
December 19th, 2008, 09:46 PM
You accidentally posted the bash script and not the results; please post the contents of the "boot_info_results.txt" file. :)

upchucky
December 19th, 2008, 09:50 PM
advanced supergrub has more features for finding and fixing, plain supergrub assumes you already know what you are doing.

rapsball4
December 19th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Oops. It was the only file that showed up on my desktop so I assumed it was the right one without looking. Must have typoed and not gotten the results. Let's try that again.

And where I would get a hold of Advanced Super Grub?

caljohnsmith
December 19th, 2008, 10:10 PM
OK, I believe I found the problem. How about first opening your menu.lst:

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
And change the Windows entry at the end to:

title Windows Vista
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
Save, reboot, and let me know exactly what happens when you boot Vista from the Grub menu.

rapsball4
December 19th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks a lot. Problem solved.

caljohnsmith
December 19th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I'm glad it turned out to be a simple fix; cheers and have fun with Vista and Ubuntu. :)