PDA

View Full Version : [other] System 76 Annual Revenue

austi24
December 19th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I don't know if anybody here will be able to help me but what is the System 76 annual revenue?

Thanks.

thomasaaron
December 19th, 2008, 06:35 PM
What do you mean?

austi24
December 19th, 2008, 06:52 PM
What was their total rvenue for 2007.

thomasaaron
December 19th, 2008, 07:21 PM
We are a privately held company, and we do not release that information.

austi24
December 19th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I am personally ranking PC makers by the total revenue they have.Is it possible that you would let me know what it was?I'm curious about it too.

Thank You.

thomasaaron
December 19th, 2008, 07:32 PM
You can send an email to press(at)system76(dot)com, but, again, our policy is to not release our private financial information.

But it can't hurt to ask, right?

austi24
December 19th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I did yesterday and i aint got a response back yet.

aysiu
December 19th, 2008, 07:38 PM
What about percentage growth figures, if not raw dollar amounts?

thomasaaron
December 19th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Just curious, have any other privately held computer companies released their financial information to you? If so, who and how much?

thomasaaron
December 19th, 2008, 07:41 PM
What about percentage growth figures, if not raw dollar amounts?

Honestly, I haven't the slightest idea. But if I did, I wouldn't be authorized to share the company's private financial data on a web forum.

aysiu
December 19th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Just curious, have any other privately held computer companies released their financial information to you? If so, who and how much?
I don't even know which computer companies are privately held.

Who cares what they do? Is there a rationale behind hiding profit information at System76? If profits are low, that's fine. We realize it's a small company that doesn't compete on the level of Dell or HP. Of course. If the profits are high, good for System76. It's good to see people supporting a vendor that preinstalls Ubuntu.

I don't see why there's a need for secrecy, just because you don't have shareholders.

aysiu
December 19th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I don't even know which computer companies are privately held.

Who cares what they do? Is there a rationale behind hiding profit information at System76? If profits are low, that's fine. We realize it's a small company that doesn't compete on the level of Dell or HP. Of course. If the profits are high, good for System76. It's good to see people supporting a vendor that preinstalls Ubuntu.

I don't see why there's a need for secrecy, just because you don't have shareholders.

avtolle
December 19th, 2008, 07:55 PM
aysiu, just because a privately held company is privately held, if it is incorporated, it has shareholders. I'd be reluctant to disclose earnings, too, if I was a privately held company; most do not disclose, even if the same are large. Once a company goes public, then it must disclose this information. Otherwise, what a privately held company might have in revenues is not public information (nor should it be, IMHO), and it is within the company's discretion whether to make any public announcement concerning the same.

thomasaaron
December 19th, 2008, 08:03 PM
You're asking the wrong guy. I'm a technical support engineer and am not privy to the company's financial information. I also have no part in determining what the company's financial disclosure policies are.

For that information, feel free to contact the companies owners. Who they choose to share their company's financial information with, and what information they feel it is appropriate to give out to the public, is their call. Not mine.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Vadi
December 19th, 2008, 09:05 PM
aysiu, how much did you get paid last month? Same with you, austi24?

I haven't seen a private company that releases this information, ever. If any did, they'd quickly go out of business - if they weren't already heading that way.

aysiu
December 19th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Vadi, I got paid $2000 last month. I have nothing to hide.

I've never understood people being secretive about their salaries or companies being secretive about their profits.

I'm not ashamed of how much money I make or ashamed of how little money I make.

Vadi
December 19th, 2008, 09:50 PM
It's not about being ashamed, it's business. If system76 is making good money of out if, and show how much, others would like in too.

aysiu
December 19th, 2008, 10:06 PM
It's not about being ashamed, it's business. If system76 is making good money of out if, and show how much, others would like in too.
I don't know if I agree with that reasoning, Vadi.

Obviously they're doing good business, since they haven't tanked.

I doubt there are tons of people waiting in the wings to launch a Linux preinstalled computer business if System 76's successful. A lot goes into launching a business like that. It's not something you can just start up on a whim and with no resources. Even Michael Dell started out selling from his college dorm room. It took him quite a while to get Dell to where it is today.

Google makes billions of dollars a year, and I know this. And yet you don't see me starting up a search engine myself to compete with Google. If I did, it would fail miserably.

There's something to be said for name-brand recognition. A lot of Ubuntu Forums members here would buy from System 76 just because they see other Ubuntu Forums members doing the same. If System 77 started up to take advantage of how well System 76 does, it's not as if suddenly they'd be getting half of the preinstalled Ubuntu sales. Who's System 77? Where did they come from?

It's also the same reason that, even though Dell came into the preinstalled Ubuntu scene later than System 76 did, Dell probably has far more sales of computers. They have more resources. They have advertisements. They have name-brand recognition.

Now System 76 is certainly entitled to withhold their earnings from the general public. They have that right. I just don't know why they exercise it.

Even Mark Shuttleworth has disclosed that Ubuntu isn't making a profit right now.

schmindy
December 20th, 2008, 11:11 PM
thomasarroson and aysui do you guys both work 4 s76?
Are they laying off people left and right like every other company in the world?
Anyway wish you guys luck in these troubled times:-)
P.s. if I had a nickel for every time someone said "in these troubled times" I'd be rich.