PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing a package

nikhilneela
December 19th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Hi everyone,
when i try to install a package i get the following errors.

E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the download directory

what does it mean and how should i correct these errors so that i can install my packages without any problems....

SuperSonic4
December 19th, 2008, 05:22 PM
It means you have something else open, either apt-get in a terminal, a deb file installing or synaptic open

Close all of them and try again. If the problem doesn't go away and you have no package manager open! you can run

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock

source: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-fix-lock-varlibdpkglock-open-11-resource-temporarily-unavailable-error.html

nikhilneela
December 20th, 2008, 03:30 PM
When i try to install any package i am getting the following error
E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)

I am a beginner to UBUNTU...please provide me a clear solution....I dont even know abc of Ubuntu....please bear me
Thanks

lovelyvik293
December 20th, 2008, 03:33 PM
You have two package manager working at same time.
Make sure that only one package manager is running.

nikhilneela
December 20th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I am a beginner to Ubuntu....how should i turn one of the package manager off when two are running....Thanks

taurus
December 20th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Look at the output of this command from a terminal to see if you have anything related to synaptic, add/remove, or adept running.

ps -A

nikhilneela
December 20th, 2008, 05:28 PM
When i try to install any package i am getting the following error

I am a beginner to UBUNTU...please provide me a clear solution....I dont even know abc of Ubuntu....please bear me
Thanks

taurus
December 20th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Why start a new thread since you already have one active?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1016725

nikhilneela
December 20th, 2008, 06:33 PM

why am i getting this error..........how should i recover...provide me a detailed solution i am a beginner to ubuntu.....please please please help me out........
thanks

chrisamiller
December 20th, 2008, 06:49 PM
It would be helpful if you told us what you were trying to do when you got the error.

Usually this means that another process is using apt. You can't, for example, use apt-get to install software while synaptic is running (or update-manager is running, or aptitude is running, etc).

Also, try searching these forums and google with your error message. I get a dozen results that look like they might help you if you read through them.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Could+not+get+lock+%2Fvar%2Fcache%2Fapt%2 Farchives%2Flock+-+open&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

bapoumba
December 20th, 2008, 07:04 PM
4 threads merged.