PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade Bios

chamus
December 19th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Hi to all! I am running Ubuntu 8.10 in my compaq F505. Everything is working perfectly, except from my wifi card, after reading a lot about i decide that the best thing that I can try is to update my Bios; so I went to Hp web page and there I had the programs to update my bios, but, surprise!!All drivers were for Mocosoft.
Really y know to little about bios so I am asking how shall I do? I dont have other system, only Ubuntu, Should I use wine for this?
What can happens if make a mistake while updatind bios?
How can I recognized the model and brand of my mother? Which command? I had already used Hwinfo and Sysinfo.

Thanks!!!

lovelyvik293
December 19th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I think for wifi-card you need to have the driver for the wifi-card.
If BIOS have some part assocated with the wifi-card???

logos34
December 19th, 2008, 04:56 PM
H
Really y know to little about bios so I am asking how shall I do? I dont have other system, only Ubuntu, Should I use wine for this?
What can happens if make a mistake while updatind bios?
How can I recognized the model and brand of my mother? Which command? I had already used Hwinfo and Sysinfo.

I wouldn't use wine...One slip and you'll have a very expensive paperweight.

If you must update the Bios, try this howto to convert the .exe file:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=318789

the download is here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/pfinder?query=f505&dest_page=product&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en

SuperSonic4
December 19th, 2008, 05:03 PM
The bios will come before any OS so you wouldn't need to convert it?

logos34
December 19th, 2008, 05:22 PM
The bios will come before any OS so you wouldn't need to convert it?

if it was a dos file, yes, buit it's a 2.5mb WinFlash .exe

chamus
December 21st, 2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks for that logos, I will take a long read to this, and then if I get the necessary courage I will do it. That was exactly what I was looking for.