PDA

View Full Version : Dream FOSS application

cb951303
December 19th, 2008, 03:57 PM
What kind of application would you wish FOSS world had? Don't hesitate to include utopian ideas.

I would like to see a sketch based Mechanical CAD and a 100% DirectX API compatible library done with open source libraries (OpenGL, SDL...) so that game makers would cease ignoring linux users.

what about you?

SomeGuyDude
December 19th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Not to sound like a fanboy, but I'm not really missing anything outside of games and the like. All that's left from my perspective would be... maybe a better midi-creation tool?

Noteworthy Composer and Finale Notepad are fantastically powerful applications, I haven't found an equivalent I particularly liked.

blakjesus
December 19th, 2008, 04:39 PM
If there was a good fl studio equivalent (i already tried rosegarder and lmms, neither are nearly as good as fl studio) i would be completely satisfied.

Although i have been somewhat succesful in running fl studio in wine. I am still trying to work out some audio issues though.

Changturkey
December 19th, 2008, 05:24 PM
OneNote clone.

Kvark
December 19th, 2008, 05:30 PM
A good spell/grammar checker that is used by all applications. Aspell marks so many correct Swedish words as incorrect it's more confusing than helping. Also a dictionary with synonym/antonym finder and a Swedish/English dictionary that both have all the trade words from different fields and other obscure words I'm still not sure about. Throw in an encyclopedia too. I think these things can pass as one wish since they are closely related.

These things exists online but it would be nice to have offline resources when on the move.

zmjjmz
December 19th, 2008, 05:45 PM
My wishlist:
A program that downloads music from a large amount of creative commons music repositories. There's so uch good CC musing out there, it's just so hard to get at with a standard web browser.
A simple non-linear movie editor that's stable and is as easy to use as iMovie.
Video chatting/conferencing over AIM/MSN/Yahoo!/Gtalk/etc. integrated into Pidgin.
Better intel graphics card drivers.

Eisenwinter
December 19th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Cubase

MikeTheC
December 19th, 2008, 06:15 PM
A decent, visually-oriented web page creation program.

HTML-oriented text editors don't cut it.

Phreaker
December 19th, 2008, 06:45 PM
cubase

+1

cb951303
December 19th, 2008, 06:52 PM
A good spell/grammar checker that is used by all applications. Aspell marks so many correct Swedish words as incorrect it's more confusing than helping. Also a dictionary with synonym/antonym finder and a Swedish/English dictionary that both have all the trade words from different fields and other obscure words I'm still not sure about. Throw in an encyclopedia too. I think these things can pass as one wish since they are closely related.

These things exists online but it would be nice to have offline resources when on the move.

Agreed. I would also like to see it fully integrated to both QT and GTK textboxes. It would also be great if we had a system wide spell checker qucik-changer in the tray for multilingual people

cb951303
December 19th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Another of my wishes is a business level IM client based on Jabber with rock solid audio and video transmission and direct file transfers. I guess we'll see this one once jabber supports audio/video and an experienced team implements it.

cb951303
December 19th, 2008, 07:01 PM

+1.

I would like it to have a good site manager supporting S/FTP/versioning systems and an integrated PHP debugging

MikeTheC
December 19th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Having a system-wide dictionary and powerful spell-checker wouldn't hurt at all.

I'd only go along with the "grammar checker" notion, though, if someone can revisit the concept. The ones which are out there and established in the commercial world (particularly MS Office) I find personally to be quite useless.

zmjjmz
December 19th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I'd only go along with the "grammar checker" notion, though, if someone can revisit the concept. The ones which are out there and established in the commercial world (particularly MS Office) I find personally to be quite useless.

My AP US History teacher has told everyone to turn it off as it just makes the papers worse.

cb951303
December 19th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Adding a guitar effects and amp modeling software to the list:popcorn:

macintosh
December 19th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Ah a FOSS application that is easy to use and looks seamless I am fed up some of them ugly FOSS app's that are complicated to use. I would like a more simple Video Editor one that could make me do amazing things without much knowledge of the application beforehand. Not saying that App's like Kdenlive are not already filling that gap.

dannytatom
December 19th, 2008, 09:14 PM

You'd probably be better off using Bluefish. WYSIWYGs tend to not validate or create clean, readable markup.