PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Blues...anyone?

rjwood
December 10th, 2005, 09:39 AM
I elected to post this here for the exposure. So anyone who needs to see it can. If I am incorrect-please forgive me and move it to the more appropriate place. Thank you!!

The Holiday season is wonderful,amusing and fun for most of us, most of the time. I enjoy it immensely these day's, though it has not alway's been that way.
I was reminded of this the other day as I noticed a familiar look on the face of my 17 year old daughter.

Me: "Is everything ok"
Her: "Sure dad, everthing is good-why"?
Me:"You look a little off, That's all"
Her: "Oh well, you know sometimes we all get a little down"
Me: "Yea, me too. Do you need to talk"?
Her: "I don't think so. But I'll let you know if I want to".
Me: "OK, I love you".
Her: "Thanks dad,I love you too".

She went upstairs and I began to ponder why that look seemed so familiar to me. After awhile it came to me. Holiday's!!
I began to reflect on my past holiday experiences, and remembered reading once that suicide rates increase during this time of year and wondered why. There are probably many reasons why. My job at this moment was to try to focus in on my daughter. I know her history and I know our family history reguarding our relationships within our family members. I don't of course know all but, I do know that each member of our family has a sense of responsability toward one another and , what I may not know, one of my other 3 daughters or my son probably does. If there was a more personnel type of difficulty I am confident she would have shared it with one of them if not me or my wife.

Anyway we were all together for dinner a few day's later and I had decided to share my thoughts on holiday blues.

I shared the difficulties with feelings I had had during different stages in my life.
From the sheer joy as a child to the feelings of selfishness as an adolescent to the feelings of missing family and friends while away in the military to feeling the pressure of providing proper holiday events for my children to now of trying to be aware of their feelings.

What I wanted them to know is that these feelings are normal for us as we pass through various stages of our lives. As we grow, we leave behind a history of ourselves and, as we look behind us we mourn the loss of part of our life that can now be only a memory. The holiday's therefore sometimes remind us of what we no longer are.

There is alway's good news though, and that is, when we are ready to turn around again we see the future and the new possibilities that await us. We have also learned something about ourselves and that is that we are strong and made it through a difficult time. So, the next time we can remember our strength. Then of course we realise it is now our time to teach.

I wanted to share this story here because There are alot of young people who participate in these forums. You may be away from your family and/or friends or you just may be feeling left out or just plain out of it.. That is ok and quite normal. Let yourself experience your feelings and welcome them. Cry if you need to- laugh when you can- and the ride will change slowly and then before you know it - there will be a new day! You will be wiser and so rejuvenated that you hardly will be able to stand it. I find comfort in knowing that the deeper I go under, the higher I go when I come out of it.

Be safe----Be well!

Happy Holiday's!!!

rj

raublekick
December 10th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Don't forget, it's also finals time for college students :D

That's what has mostly got me down right now. But the holidays get me down because I can't really afford gifts for people.

matthew
December 10th, 2005, 06:52 PM
@rjwood: you sound like a good father. Taking the time to talk to your kids and allowing them the freedom to talk/not talk to you about issues is an amazing and wonderful trait that will cause them to respect and appreciate you more and more as time passes.

Edit: Oh, and ditto on the blues thing.

rjwood
December 10th, 2005, 08:47 PM

That's what has mostly got me down right now. But the holidays get me down because I can't really afford gifts for people.

I know what you mean. I've been there many times, both pre and post marriage and children. I have also watched as others, older and younger than me have delt with giving and receiving.

I was not real creative about it myself. My main recourse was to think of way's to minimize and devalue holiday celebrations. Sometimes I made a real mess of it. I come from a place where struggling to survive was so important. Almost any sacrifice was valid.

I have learned alot from my kids. Over the last few years we have collectivly tried to figure out how to deal with this. I think the breakthrough came for me one year when one of my daughters came to me and said,"dad, I feel so selfish to accept gifts and not be able to buy any". I of course knowing that this was an issue long before she metioned it just because we all experience it. I never knew how I was going to handle it. But, when those word hit my ears, a flood of wanting and needing to help her made me realize what a gift she already was everytime she walked into a room or whenever I had heard her voice. My gift was knowing at that moment that we had gotten this far in life and we had not lost one another. I had protected her and she had responded by loving and respecting me. There was nothing she could have purchased for me that day that could have been a greater gift then what I had experienced just then. I explained all this to her as the thoughts came to me. In the end she smiled and we became closer then we had ever been before.

Gifts come in many forms. For those who have come before us a wonderful gift is knowing that we had done our job well enough, that it is appreicated and you are ok. For the ones that come after us, just spending enough time with someone we look up to and realizing that we are important enough to absorb some time is a life long gift.

One time while being home on leave from the military I took 2 of my nieces and my sister who had been living with us because of divorce to Mcdonald's. Didn't seem that important to me at the time. My nieces were somewhere around 7 and 8 years I think. Eventually we lost touch and I wasen't able to attend ones wedding. Years later, when I saw her again I appologized for missing the wedding (I didn't send a gift either). She immediately said, "Uncle Rob, You took us to Mcdonlds".

You can do it in a card or in a phone call or just a simple "I Love You".

And of course the way in which you carry and display the character that has in-formed the person you are. That character is a reflection of all the peole who have devoted time and their precious resources to your development. Carry it well. That is the greatest gift you can give anybody.

@rjwood: you sound like a good father. Taking the time to talk to your kids and allowing them the freedom to talk/not talk to you about issues is an amazing and wonderful trait that will cause them to respect and appreciate you more and more as time passes.
matthew----Thank You!!

KiwiNZ
December 10th, 2005, 09:18 PM

raublekick.. The most important gift is yourself. Being there with friends and family.

As my sons grow up and have embarked on their journeys of life I have always said to them . Dont spend on gifts for me , returning home when you can is the best gift you could ever give. Its their companionship that is so precious.

My sons are my best friends and to sit and talk till early morning beats any trinket that can be brought.

So raubledick .. ring those you cant be near , and visit those you can be near .

rjwood
December 12th, 2005, 04:16 PM

BTW kick-ass on those finals. What is your major?

raublekick
December 12th, 2005, 06:02 PM
BTW kick-ass on those finals. What is your major?

computer science. oh, and in true CS spirit... I live with my mom and commute to school :p My dad lives just a few minutes away and we're all cool. No need for me to worry about coming home to my family hehe. I know what you guys mean though, I try to help out around the house as much as I can cus I really appreciate my parents helping me out.

Rjwood, your daughters sound prety awesome. If I had kids and they said something like that to me, I'd be really proud.