PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Partitioner Loading stuck at 50%

suncharm
December 19th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I am trying to install Xubuntu alternative on a Compaq Presario 1655 with a 4gig HD. I completely formatted the hard drive, deleted the primary partition, re-created it, made it active, and formatted. I also tried that without formatting. I think it has about 40-60mb of ram. During the installation, it says loading partitioner, and it sticks at 50%. I left it for 3 hours and nothing. All the drives went to sleep so I know its not doing anything. Is there a solution to this, or is there an even lighter ubuntu package I can try?

Partyboi2
December 19th, 2008, 12:23 AM
With that amount of ram you might be better of trying darn small linux (http://damnsmalllinux.org/) (dsl)

Edit: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems

wpshooter
December 19th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I am trying to install Xubuntu alternative on a Compaq Presario 1655 with a 4gig HD. I completely formatted the hard drive, deleted the primary partition, re-created it, made it active, and formatted. I also tried that without formatting. I think it has about 40-60mb of ram. During the installation, it says loading partitioner, and it sticks at 50%. I left it for 3 hours and nothing. All the drives went to sleep so I know its not doing anything. Is there a solution to this, or is there an even lighter ubuntu package I can try?

40 - 60mb, are you referring to RAM or possibly to hard drive space, which would probably be gb not mb ???

Sorry, I missed the 4gb hard drive.

Personnel, I would think it is probably time that you got another computer. You are asking for nothing but frustration !!!

suncharm
December 19th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I know, its a old laptop, and it is not my main one, I just wanted to do something with it before throwing it out.

wpshooter
December 19th, 2008, 01:22 AM
I know, its a old laptop, and it is not my main one, I just wanted to do something with it before throwing it out.

Then like the other poster said, you might want to try damn small linux.